Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Hell yeah, I just bought the Arrow Complete Sartana boxset and it is crazy to see a non-Leone spaghetti western look as gorgeous as they do.

The plots are still cartoon nonsense, but I'm glad that my spaghetti western collection is slowly moving away from Walmart multipack DVDs into something I can watch on my new TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

FreudianSlippers posted:

How are the Sartana films?

Arrow have a very nice boxset and I try to blind buy something from Arrow every now and then but a boxset would be a pretty big investment if they're just ok.

They're not good movies, but they're fun. Gianfranco Parolini and Giuliano Carnimeo both bring a weird superspy element to the typical spaghetti western. There are tons of gadgets and sharpshooting tricks along with the shootouts and punch-ups.

If you want to try out the kind of over-the-top carnival style of Parolini before committing to the boxset, Sabata is a god place to start. It's got Lee Van Cleef, perennial spaghetti western scumbag William Berger and a baffling obsession with dudes jumping off trampolines. There's a pretty good version on YouTube if you search for it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Stagecoach is basically the movie that set the standard for Hollywood westerns for decades to come.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Open Range is probably the best Hollywood western made in the last 15 years. It makes me sad that more people haven't seen it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I'm really stoked about the possibility of Criterion releasing Winchester 73 and (hopefully) the rest of Anthony Mann's westerns. I haven't seen them since my college days, but I remember both Winchester 73 and The Man From Laramie being amazing.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Jack B Nimble posted:

I can confirm I've also been very disappointed in the Criterion Channel (for westerns).

They used to have a commentary version of Stagecoach that was very, very good, which is the kind of thing I want from Criterion Channel, just not enough offerings like that imo.

Edit: the last western I saw in my huge list was The Searchers and now, after just finishing a rereading of Blood Meridian and being halfway through Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee, the movie is really suffering from comparison to those two books.

I think they’re putting a bunch of Anthony Mann westerns up next week, as well as Fritz Lang’s buckwild Rancho Notorious.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Prime also has the new Arrow transfers of the Sartana movies and they’re classic goofy spaghetti westerns.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Prime is really THE place for spaghetti westerns. I just found Run Man Run and Ace High up there with pretty good transfers for movies that I don't think made it to Blu Ray.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I've always liked El Dorado a bit more, but that's because I like Mitchum better than Martin. It also has a young Ed Asner as the main villain!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Yoooo I’ve been wanting to see Skin Game for ages.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Silverado is probably my favorite Hollywood-style western. The casting and the writing are so on point and everything that comes out of Kevin Kline's mouth is loving golden.

Though I freely admit that I feel this way because it's my mom's comfort movie and I watched it a lot at a formative age :)

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Holy poo poo I can't believe there were TWO blaxploitation westerns with the n-word edited out of their title.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The sheer density of great lines in Silverado is hard to top.

"How do I know this is your horse?"
"Can't you see this horse loves me?"
"I had a gal do that to me. It didn't make her my wife."

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Mill Creek is putting out a Randolph Scott Western pack with all the classic Budd Boetticher/Scott movies. No clue as to the quality (Mill Creek, after all) but it’ll be cool to have these movies on Blu Ray.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It never really clicked before that the Mann/Stewart combo also made Winchester ‘73, which is an excellent movie. What was their third movie together?

Man From Laramie, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The Terence Hill Django movie is also pretty fun and has one of my favorite themes in all of spaghetti westerns, so good that it’s the backbone of Gnarls Barkley’s “Crazy.”