Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

Want say all the 70s list are leaving out Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. There's of course different versions out, but I recently followed Ride The High Country with the version of PG&BtK on Amazon right now and it's a really great double bill and it's really great to see the difference and similarities of Peckinpah in '62 and Peckinpah in '73.

Honestly feel PG&BtK is Peckinpah at his best, even the compromised studio cut.

I love it and re-watch it regularly. There’s certainly flaws but it really works for me, practically as a 90 minute Bob Dylan music video. The supporting cast is fantastic; a wonderful collection of talented actors and recognizable faces from a great era, and yes, with Peckinpah at his best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It’s not a western, but I want to see Cross of Iron because Peckinpah fought in the Pacific theater of WWII and was downing multiple bottles a day at that point, and he decided to make a movie about Nazis. It sounds fascinating.

It's worth checking out. A very gritty movie, with a solid cast (not unusual for Peckinpah). Coburn is great in it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

PeterCat posted:

PTaBTK is worth it just for the Knockin' on Heaven's Door sequence.

Great bit of gunplay here, Slim Pickens showing that the way to win a gunfight is to remain calm and take careful aim, and that wild shots can still get ya regardless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjR7_U2u3sM

Unquestionably the standout of the film. My low-key favorite, though, is the Christ-posed "Billy Surrenders" sequence and exchange between Billy and Pat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8t8-EytTy8

It's a shame it's not on the soundtrack, which is a regular listen for me.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

Once Upon A Time In The West is one I've only seen a couple times but thought it was pretty sweet. Thats the one with Charles Bronson as "Harmonica" isn't it? Its been a while since I've seen it.

Yes.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is another cool one.

And my favorite in that category, The Ox-Bow Incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

The interplay between the disparate characters all stuck in a tiny moving box together is great even if they're all a bit archetypical..

I don't disagree, but it has me wondering, were they archetypal for film characters at that point? They might have been on the early side of things in that regard when it came out.