Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Anonymous Robot posted:

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is a weird picture. I’ve never seen Ladykillers, so it’s peculiar to see a Coen Bros joint that isn’t polished to a shine, but it’s clear that it’s a project they really wanted to make and just couldn’t quite nail. I’m a mark for both westerns and anthology films, though, so I’m dead center in the target demographic. Overall, it doesn’t feel cohesive, which is a bit of a weird criticism to levy at an anthology film, but the tonal and stylistic differences are dramatic and don’t work together to evoke an overarching mood or statement as a whole work.

It feels like a mark of a lack of confidence that the movie opens with the titular sequence. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs would be better served in the middle of the film. Starting out, it creates an expectation of a fantastical quality that isn’t found anywhere else in the movie. In the middle, this would’ve been a refreshing surprise, especially following the dreary sequence about the dramatic orator, but in the start it’s a little odd.

That sequence about the orator is the real low point of the film. Morose, cruel, and ableist, it’s got a streak of nihilism that other Coen Brothers films manage to make entertaining with an artful touch of absurd humor that never appears here.

By contrast, the sequence about the prospector hews really close to a similar pitfall, before soaring out of it when the protagonist brutally reverses the fortune of his predator. It’s still scary and has a mean streak, but the highlight of the scene is a very authentic, humorous performance by Waits as he winds down from having overcome his would-be killer.

The picture is, on the whole, a work of absurdist existentialism that’s well situated in the Coen Bros’ oeuvre. Unexpected turns of fortune and a sense of cosmic meaninglessness pervade the work, and in that sense, I guess that not having any of that is a surprise in itself, in the case of the orator sequence- it just isn’t very entertaining.

Overall, it’s definitely worth a watch, even if the parts are better than their sum product.

Boy, it really works for me across the board. I agree that "Meal Ticket" is so dark that it leaves a bit of a bad tasted in my mouth, but overall I found all of them tremendously entertaining. "Buster Scruggs" and "Mortal Remains" make good bookends, as they're probably most upfront about the overarching themes of the anthology.

"The Gal that Got Rattled" owns; it's my favorite after watching the movie twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

If we're gonna get a little bit loose with the definition then I guess you could throw Wake in Fright in there. If you want to consider it a Western then what you have here is a Western with Donald Pleasence as the villain, how can you go wrong?

Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but another low/mid budget Western that really impressed me recently was Slow West, which I think is on Netflix.

Slow West is an E/N thread turned into a western, it’s great

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Paddyo posted:

For my money, The Lonesome Dove miniseries from the 80’s is definitely one of the best Westerns that I’ve ever seen, and maybe the best novel to film adaptation. Tommy Lee Jones, Danny Glover, and Robert Duvall are absolutely at the top of their game, and it’s amazing what they are able to do within the limits of mid 80s network TV. Incredibly underrated film/show IMHO. Also echoing the poster who mentioned Open Range.

I remember finding it really corny for the most part (like when the horny youngster gets killed by snakes) but being really blown away by the last episode. Maybe it merits a rewatch.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is Fort Apache the one with an adult Shirley Temple?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

When penismightier mentioned Johnny Guitar in the OP of his 2009 western thread, I made a note to watch it. Anyway, I finally got around to it this past weekend. It was alright, though it felt a little bit derivative after watching a lot of Criterion's western noir playlist last year. Certainly had a striking look to it.

I also watched The Shootist for the first time (pretty much the only major John Wayne I hadn't seen) and thought it was a nice coda to his career, even if the ending doesn't 100% work. Surprisingly vulnerable performance for Wayne, I thought.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Raxivace posted:

What don't you like about the ending?

I think that out of the three guys he has the arranged showdown with, the two that aren't Richard Boone aren't very well established in terms of what they have to gain, nor is it really clear why the Sherriff hates him so much. Like, the Sherriff doesn't like him because he's emblematic or a more violent, lawless bygone era, but he's willing to set up and publicize this weird, grotesque exhibition to be rid of him?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

When are we going to get a High Noon remake, but this time it’s a thinly-veiled cancel culture allegory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He looks like Larry David on the poster