Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

You should check out The Naked Spur and The Tall T. If you love noir, you'll love those.

Anthony Mann and Jimmy Stewart are a wonderful combination. Jimmy Stewart always brings that degree of madness to every role. But Anthony Mann brings him to some very dark places. They did three movies together and it gives a very different kind of role for Stewart in all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It never really clicked before that the Mann/Stewart combo also made Winchester ‘73, which is an excellent movie. What was their third movie together?

The Man from Laramie. And I was wrong about it being three films. It's five westerns, three other films. The Westerns are Winchester '73, Bend of the River, The Far Country, The Naked Spur, and The Man from Laramie. Winchester '73 and the The Naked Spur are the two stand outs to me, but all five are pretty solid.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

PeterCat posted:

Have you seen Leone's other works? I would say that Fistful is the weakest of the Dollars trilogy, and Once Upon a Time in the West is Leone's best work. As far as versions of the story, there were westerns with a high body count before that, and westerns were the hero had to be stealthy, but Leone turned it into something new, a western that doesn't take place in any specific place, just a perfect "western" land.

You might enjoy Last Man Standing, a remake of Fistful that stars Bruce Willis and Christopher Walken. It's set during prohibition, but takes place in Texas, so you get this juxtaposition of the gangsters with 1911s and Tommy Guns blasting away at each other in an Old West setting. It's pretty bare bones, but one thing I love as a through line between Yojimbo, Fistful, and Last Man Standing is one of the gangs having a giant henchman as part of the group.

One of the things I love about Once Upon A Time in the West is that it's Leone doing a Fordian Western. There are tons of his touches, but it's very much a nod to the period that came before. Stuff like having Woody Strode's gun have the same modification that John Wayne had to twirl it. Hell just having Woody Strode who was part of Ford's troupe of actors.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

For sure, so much is cool about it. The mythology, the wry sardonic vibe, how things go right when he rolls into town. Plus the way it kind of peaks emotionally 2/3rds in and has an atypical feeling last act. Definitely packs a lot in there.

Yep yep, I love the core Leone four, Once Upon A Time in the West is my fav too. Gonna rewatch all those for the first time in a long time. I have never seen Duck You Sucker which I'm gonna pop on soon. I didn't happen to like Last Man Standing, but I respect the intention of it. Plus goes to show there's a lot of reasons Fistful of Dollars works so well, outside of the story setup. I feel like John Woo should've directed that or something. Always want more Woo. I do often love Walter Hill though.

And that bit about Once Upon A Time in the West paying tribute to older westerns, that is cool. I notice a bunch are listed on its wikipedia page like Shane etc. Also wild putting everything in context, like Leone asking Ennio to do a score in the style of the High Noon guy Tiomkin for Fistful of Dollars. You might say he did even better!

Any fans of those Trinity guys, Spencer and Hill? I haven't checked those out yet. It is wild that they have a steam beat-em-up game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/564050/Bud_Spencer__Terence_Hill__Slaps_And_Beans/

Duck you Sucker isn't awful but it's not in the same league as the Dollars Trilogy or Once Upon a Time In The West. It's him doing a Zapata Western but not well. And Bud Spencer and Terrance Hill did some wonderful comedic westerns. Lots of slapstick but done pretty well. Not great cinema but entertaining. Terrance Hill did a great End of the West Western called My Name is Nobody. Here is one of the fight scenes. It should give you an idea if you'll like more of what they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=homFt2FaYyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP11jDHwX98

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Sand Monster posted:

And my favorite in that category, The Ox-Bow Incident.

The Ox-Bow incident is a wonderful film. Anthony Mann did a couple of Westerns with Jimmy Stewart that are great. Jimmy Stewart always brings that element of madness to a role and Mann takes him to some dark places. If you are used to thinking of Jimmy Stewart in terms of Harvey or It's a Wonderful Life then you are going to get something very different.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

You know what would make a good plot for a western?

A gunslinger travels to the Utah Territory when it was basically a Mormon theocracy to try to save a relative who has been indoctrinated into the LDS. Basically Apostle (2018) except with shootouts instead of martial arts fights.

There is part of me that wants this to be one of the Django knockoff films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

That sounds like wild times.

Anybody dig Hombre or the 50s 3:10 to Yuma? Both are based on Elmore Leonard, and I've been enjoying/looking into his stuff lately.

Lee Van Cleef, any takes on non-Leone ones he has a big role in? Other than his fun but small cool bits in High Noon and Liberty Valance.

I've had Death Rides a Horse, The Big Gundown, and Day of Anger on the list, and Sabata also sounds like it could be fun.

Hombre is a solid Western. Paul Newman acts the hell out of it but I felt the rest of the cast wasn't at his level. The 50's 3:10 to Yuma is fantastic. Glen Ford is an absolutely seductive villain and Van Heflin does a great job of being his foil. If you like 3:10 to Yuma, you might like Broken Arrow.