Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

How are the Sartana films?

Arrow have a very nice boxset and I try to blind buy something from Arrow every now and then but a boxset would be a pretty big investment if they're just ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Assault on Precinct 13 is a gritty 70s remake of Rio Bravo

Ghost of Mars is a wonky 2000s Assault on Precinct 13

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia is a good modern western from Peckinpah.

It's up there with the Proposition, Predator, Do the Right Thing, and Wake in Fright as one of the sweatiest movies ever made.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's like 20 bucks from Arrow Video on Blu but I'm pretty sure that's region locked to Europe so unless you have a open region player DVD it is.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Slow West is a wonderful film. I especially like the moments of dark slapstick comedy.

I think it's even the directors first feature and it basically only got made because Fassbender is in it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

William S. Hart was only five years younger than Billy the Kid.

It's pretty amazing to think about how the first westerns and the actual "Wild West" were contemporary.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's also Lone Wolf and Cub

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Franchescanado posted:

Criterion Channel curated a new collection: Black Westerns

The Legend of Black Charley (1972) - Martin Goldman

Not surprised they went with the alternate title for this one.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've heard that just the train station set from the opening of Once Upon a Time in the West was more expensive than the entire budget for A Fistful of Dollars.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Been working my way through the snow westerns on the Criterion Channel.

Watched The Great Silence (1968) first which is a marvelous picture. One of the most brutal and fatalistic westerns I've ever seen, right up there with Unforgiven and The Proposition (which I suppose is more of a Southern). Visually stunning with a great soundtrack.

Then I watched Peckinpah's Ride the High Country (1962) . Which wasn't t hat much of a "snow western" seeing as there is only some vague hints of snow on the ground in a handful of scenes. A very good film despite the lack of snow (compared to Silence where every scene set outdoors has people wading through entire drifts of snow.). Not quite as gritty or bloody as Peckinpah's later westerns but it still has some edge to it. I think what stood out most for me is the perfomances. All the actors give it their all and the chemistry between them is great. You really believe that Gil (Randolph Scott) and Judd (Joel McCrea) have been friends for decades. Makes me want to dig up some of their older westerns.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anonymous Robot posted:

The Great Silence rocks. Its political underpinnings are a bit compromised by how terrible the real Mormons actually were, but still a great movie.

Them being Mormons isn't mentioned in the Italian dub. In that they're just poor citizens who turned to banditry.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You know what would make a good plot for a western?

A gunslinger travels to the Utah Territory when it was basically a Mormon theocracy to try to save a relative who has been indoctrinated into the LDS. Basically Apostle (2018) except with shootouts instead of martial arts fights.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Watched The Shooting (1966) and Ride in the Whirlwind (also 1966), shot back to back Roger Corman style, both by Monte Hellman and both featuring Jack Nicholson (with him being the screenwriter for Ride in the Whirlwind)

I thought both were very solid. I've seen them called Acid Westerns but I think that term applies more to The Shooting than Ride in the Whirlwind as Ride is a very straightforward tale of three cowboys who are accidentally mistaken for outlaws after being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. You could take the same basic plot and set it in modern times and you'd have a decent base for a Coenesque neo-noir. Not much acid about it other than it reflecting the 60s zeitgeist of mistrusting authority.

The Shooting on the other hand is a dreamlike atalistic journey into the heart of the desert with broad archetypical characters that behave strangely and often illogically that lend the whole thing an almost mythical quality. With Jack Nicholson playing a mysterious black clad gunslinger who wouldn't feel out of place in Jodorowsky's El Topo .

I've also seen them called Mayonnaise Westerns which is a much funnier term.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Man Stagecoach is really really good.

The interplay between the disparate characters all stuck in a tiny moving box together is great even if they're all a bit archetypical..

This feels like the Platonic Ideal of the classic western. I'm not sure how much of the stuff in the film was already well worn before this or if some of it became tropes because of the film. Regardless it's so well put together that it doesn't really matter.

That zoom in one Ringo when he's first introduced is an all-timer shot.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I suspect the Gentleman Gambler/Gunslinger embodied in Hatfield might be pretty old as it's basically just Doc Holiday and/or Wild Bill Hickock.

The others I'm not so sure. I haven't really seen many pre-50s westerns (but I'm working on it).

Maybe it's like Halloween where it feels like a very standard slasher to modern audiences because it invented half of what makes a standard slasher.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Track of the Cat (1954) is a strange beast.

It's visually stunning but most of the film is spent on people on a soundstage yelling their feelings at each other with some brief interludes of Robert Mitchum in a stunning red coat tracking a possibly supernatural big cat through a frozen wilderness.

Basically a chamber play intercut with a mystical man Vs nature story every now and then.

Also one of the kids from the Little Rascals plays a psychic 100 year old injun in heavy old age make-up.

It bounced off me pretty hard but I genuinely loved a lot of it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Does anybody collect water in their hat and then drink it in America?

Don't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

wesleywillis posted:

Why are so many characters in westerns named "Ringo" or "Johnny Ringo"

John P. Ringo was a historical gunslinger and outlaw that was involved in some iconic Old West events and was an enemy of even more famous figures like Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday. One of whom probably killed him (there are of course conflicting accounts).