Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw The Lone Ranger in the cinema with my parents when it was a choice between it and Planes. My parents absolutely loved it - really thought it was brilliant - while I was more equivocal (for various reasons), but I couldn't help but smile at that one bit at the end, right before the big train chase starts, when the Lone Ranger rears up on Silver and the William Tell Overture starts blasting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid is another Peckinpah movie; it isn't as good as Wild Bunch but I think it's very good nonetheless. That said, I don't think it would be hard to find either.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was Stagecoach also the one Ford was asked, "Why didn't they just shoot the horses pulling the stagecoach?" and he replied, "Because then the movie would end."? I enjoy that story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recently watched The Quick and the Dead, which is a Sam Raimi movie. I'm not sure how to describe it. I enjoyed it a lot but I'm not sure how to describe it. It's got that je ne sais quoi that most Raimi movies have, full of dramatic zoom-ins at unusual moments.

One thing I'm quite interested in is neo-westerns, of which I can only say I've seen a few and would be keen to check out more, which essentially take western storytelling and visuals and put them in the late 20th and 21st centuries. No Country for Old Men is a good example; Hell or High Water is another. One that I particularly like is a movie directed by Walter Hill (who has said that all of his movies are "westerns") called Extreme Prejudice, starring Nick Nolte as a grizzled Texas ranger. It's also something of a tribute to The Wild Bunch.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who would have been good instead of Sharon Stone?

(Other than Jodie Foster.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Having mentioned Jodie Foster, I would like to recommend the 1994 feature-length adaptation of Maverick to anyone who hasn't seen it. It had a great cast which included Lethal Weapon era Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster, James Garner, Alfred Molina and James Coburn, an amusing script by the late William Goldman and Richard Donner in the director's chair. It began life as a feature adaptation of The Wild, Wild West with Shane Black tipped to write, but that fell through.

There were loads of movie adaptations of tv shows from the 60s in the 90s (Addams Family, Beverly Hillbillies, Brady Bunch, Flintstones, Mission Impossible, Fugitive, Saint, Avengers and many more) and they ran the gamut of quality but this was one of the best.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
John Woo's Broken Arrow is definitely a western, because it takes place in the desert, it has an abandoned mine and the climax of the movie is a train robbery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't realise until today that last Thursday was the fiftieth anniversary of the premiere of Once Upon a Time In the West.