Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I won't deny that the Dollars trilogy is terrific, but Once Upon a Time in the West is the best Sergio Leone movie, and Clint Eastwood's self directed westerns like High Plains Drifter are better uses of his particular acting style.

I'll admit that most of my exposure to westerns comes from genre blending takes like Rodriguez's Mariachi films, From Dusk Til Dawn, or satires like Walker or Blazing Saddles. I never really watched any John Ford films apart from The Quiet Man, which isn't a western to begin with.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Quick and the Dead is a cartoon western" is the best way to describe it. It is absolutely a Raimi film with his signature exaggerated reality going on. I didn't mind Sharon Stone in the film, but I think it wasted Russel Crowe's character. Thankfully everyone else going full ham makes up for it, and Leo dies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Man From Snowy River is a great Aussie western.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shanghai Noon and The Quick and the Dead are both good examples of pop westerns and I think the latter is underrated.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's very little story to the Revenant which makes it hard for me to call it dumb since there's very little to criticise from an acting standpoint. Tom Hardy was great.

I didn't like the ending, which I felt was the weakest part of the movie.