Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've been feeling the Western vibe, so gotta post! Digging the recommendations and takes on the last couple pages too.

I really enjoyed High Noon and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance in the past week. Really really good, other than My Darling Clementine and Magnificent Seven, also Hang Em High, these are pretty much the only pre-70s Hollywood westerns I've seen. I enjoyed them a lot more than I thought I would, since I tend to be more into the Italian stuff, film noir, and more immediately "cool/rad" stuff. I also dig Peckinpah. Wait, I also saw three other John Wayne movies, which I found good but not entirely my jam (True Grit, The Searchers, and Rio Bravo).

But High Noon and Liberty Valance, those would sit very well next to the film noir and whatnot on the shelf, one being really tense, the other being just terrific character work, with some good intense stuff later on.

For spaghetti Westerns I've seen the core Leone four and Django way back, love those. So I've got a big list I'm intending to dig into, plus rewatches.

The Mercenary, Day of Anger, The Big Gundown, Companeros, Duck You Sucker, They Call Me Trinity, Death Rides a Horse, some more Hollywood like Shane and Silverado, Lonesome Dove, The Long Riders, and even more Italian stuff to check out too.

Also got a couple of those Blueberry comics by Moebius, those look pretty cool.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, I'll check those out! And QT is always cool to listen to, him and Edgar Wright both seem to watch more movies than anybody on Earth. Inspiring stuff.

Just watched Shane by the way! That's a cool movie.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just watched Fistful of Dollars for time in at least 10 years, that's a great rewatch. Just blows me away every time. I first rented that on VHS in the 90s, I didn't even realize it's Rated R, wasn't allowed to watch those back then. But those Leone's slipped though! Man, just incredibly cool. The music, the style, the just mindboggling badassness of it. Touching too. Oh lord that's a good movie.

Not to get too into body count minutia, but was there anything even close before that movie? It feels like it's not too far removed from the 80s extravagance of Schwarzenegger movies, throwing a machete through somebody especially adds to that. Especially in contrast with the more classy reserved movies I had watched recently. Plus the bits where he has to be stealthy and on the run seem to lead to First Blood and Die Hard. And of course, that great opening scene where he talks about how his mule didn't know it was a joke etc, almost beat for beat redone in Dirty Harry. Props to Yojimbo and Red Harvest etc, but this movie is just influential in so many ways. That music sticks with you too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, so much is cool about it. The mythology, the wry sardonic vibe, how things go right when he rolls into town. Plus the way it kind of peaks emotionally 2/3rds in and has an atypical feeling last act. Definitely packs a lot in there.

PeterCat posted:

Have you seen Leone's other works? I would say that Fistful is the weakest of the Dollars trilogy, and Once Upon a Time in the West is Leone's best work. As far as versions of the story, there were westerns with a high body count before that, and westerns were the hero had to be stealthy, but Leone turned it into something new, a western that doesn't take place in any specific place, just a perfect "western" land.

You might enjoy Last Man Standing, a remake of Fistful that stars Bruce Willis and Christopher Walken. It's set during prohibition, but takes place in Texas, so you get this juxtaposition of the gangsters with 1911s and Tommy Guns blasting away at each other in an Old West setting. It's pretty bare bones, but one thing I love as a through line between Yojimbo, Fistful, and Last Man Standing is one of the gangs having a giant henchman as part of the group.

Yep yep, I love the core Leone four, Once Upon A Time in the West is my fav too. Gonna rewatch all those for the first time in a long time. I have never seen Duck You Sucker which I'm gonna pop on soon. I didn't happen to like Last Man Standing, but I respect the intention of it. Plus goes to show there's a lot of reasons Fistful of Dollars works so well, outside of the story setup. I feel like John Woo should've directed that or something. Always want more Woo. I do often love Walter Hill though.

And that bit about Once Upon A Time in the West paying tribute to older westerns, that is cool. I notice a bunch are listed on its wikipedia page like Shane etc. Also wild putting everything in context, like Leone asking Ennio to do a score in the style of the High Noon guy Tiomkin for Fistful of Dollars. You might say he did even better!

Any fans of those Trinity guys, Spencer and Hill? I haven't checked those out yet. It is wild that they have a steam beat-em-up game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/564050/Bud_Spencer__Terence_Hill__Slaps_And_Beans/

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 11, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, I'm gonna give all those a go. Will be fun seeing how I dig the more comedic ones. I'm gonna try some of those guys other movies like Watch Out, We're Mad! too, those guys look wild.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For a Few Dollars more still rules upon rewatch, so good. Lee Van Cleef. I watched The Mercenary too, that's a cool movie. I can see the influence on Tarantino for sure. And Ennio is just ruling. Also some of the music between these two movies is so similar, the whistling and guitar, not a bad thing, it just almost felt like an official Dollars movie. The expanded Dollars universe.

I may pop on Duck You Sucker, Companeros, and those comedy guys ones soon, saving the bigger Leone rewatches for later. Cool to see people digging this fine stuff, drat is it cool.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool, gonna watch that soon! And I've loved the theme by Ennio for a while too, so catchy.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is another cool one. Tough to top Leone! I've still gotta see Duck You Sucker.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That sounds like wild times.

Anybody dig Hombre or the 50s 3:10 to Yuma? Both are based on Elmore Leonard, and I've been enjoying/looking into his stuff lately.

Lee Van Cleef, any takes on non-Leone ones he has a big role in? Other than his fun but small cool bits in High Noon and Liberty Valance.

I've had Death Rides a Horse, The Big Gundown, and Day of Anger on the list, and Sabata also sounds like it could be fun.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Awesome, thanks for the takes!

One thing that got me curious about the 50s 3:10 to Yuma, and I like the remake, was Leonard in an interview said the original was closer to the book. In particular he mentioned the ending of the remake goes in a different direction and didn't do it for him, or something like that. Though it's a short story so both movies add a lot I hear.

Not a western, but it's also interesting how a really short story The Killers got turned into two longer movies that add a lot of additional stuff, or so I hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This is some badass stuff.

I actually watched Duck You Sucker with my friend a couple months ago, finally did it, lot of fun. James Coburn is cool.

This artist I like Carlos Ezquerra modeled his western-ish war comic character Major Eazy after Coburn. He also did a lot of Judge Dredd (co-created it too) and the sci-fi western comic Strontium Dog. Man that guy owned.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 17, 2024