Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What do y'all think of How The West Was Won?
My boomer grade 7 teacher showed it in class in 1991 or 92 or so. Or we at least saw part of it in class. I remember that teacher was in the habit of showing only parts of movies. I think we saw the first two episodes of Roots for example.

I totally forgot about HTWWW until like 15-20 years later, and remembered it. I wasn't even sure if I would like it, but I bought it on DVD at a used media store, brought my Gf over and we watched it.
Its definitely become one of my top 5 faves. I'm sure some of you more cultured cinema buffs will say its kinda lame because of reasons X,Y and Z but I love that poo poo personally.

The cast is a big who's who of Hollywood (for the time) cast, a good (IMHO) story line, and the score is probably my favorite music score. I even bought the cd and unironically listen to it from time to time.

There was a TV series based loosely on the movie in the 70s as well. It never caught on in the Americastates or Canada, but its was pretty popular in Europe. I picked that up on dvd too and thought it was pretty good for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Just recently, I've solved my tv antenna problem, and now I get the Channel "Grit"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grit_(TV_network)

Its pretty much nothing but westerns. TV and movies. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to talk about it here, but some of the tv shows are pretty drat good imho.
Tales of Wells Fargo is one of my more favorite of the tv shows on there. I wish they'd start showing Bonanza, and maybe Gunsmoke.
Zane Grey Theatre isn't bad either. The Deputy has some good episodes, but a few that were kinda whack for varying reasons. Again imho.

As far as the movies go, just watched The Quick Gun starring Audie Murphy. Not bad says I.
Last week I watched Stagecoach. With the one guy from Dukes of Hazzard, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and some other people that I can';t think of.

It seems like every week there are about 15 Audie Murphy movies on the channel but I guess he was in a poo poo load of westerns.

Jeremiah Johnson was Grit on a week or two ago. Another one that I thought was pretty good, and going to be on again this weekend.

Once Upon A Time In The West is one I've only seen a couple times but thought it was pretty sweet. Thats the one with Charles Bronson as "Harmonica" isn't it? Its been a while since I've seen it.

Also a fan of Winchester '73.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Whats the deal with the Django Unchained movie?
Is it a sequel? Or a remake? Something in the middle?

I saw it once years ago, but I pretty much remember nothing except there was a ummmm "certain word" that was used in it a whole shitload of times.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

:drat: no kidding! If I had watched more Bonanza at that time, I might have noticed, but I think I saw Django like 10+ years ago, and never really got in to Bonanza till a few years later.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Why are so many characters in westerns named "Ringo" or "Johnny Ringo"

Also when I'm watching Grit, there are naturally a lot of movies that take place during or just after the US civil war and I always hear people referring to confederates as "Johhny Reb/Rebel"

Besides Yankee, did the southerners ever have a name for northerners like "George Yankee" or "Jimmy Yankee" or some poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

PlushCow posted:

Watch The Gunfighter (1950) with Gregory Peck for a good movie with a main character named Jimmy Ringo!

That might have been one of the ones I've seen on Grit a time or two.