Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you have archives, we had a real good western thread going once.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177262

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I realise you already have a lot of movies on your list but I think you should at least consider some Terrence Hill movies.

"They Call Me Trinity" started off the whole thing of having spaghetti western that were also comedic movies.

"My Name is Nobody" is one of my very favourite westerns. It was directed by Tonino Valerii (Leone's assistant director on Fistful of Dollars) and Leone even handled some second unit shooting.
Ennio Morricone does some of his all time best work on this movie too, in my opinion. Henry Fonda has also talked about how it was his favourite movie that he starred in. It is also the very last western Fonda made, which is fitting considering his character in the movie.
Granted, the movie does poke fun at a lot of tropes of westerns so maybe save it for last.

Finally, Terrence Hill is an impossibly attractive man and you'll just drown in his eyes.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
John Wayne and Howard Hawks really didn't like communism and that's why they decided to make a "proper" version of High Noon.

quote:

I also knew two other fellas who really did things that were detrimental to our way of life. One of them was Carl Foreman, the guy who wrote the screenplay for High Noon, and the other was Robert Rossen, the one who made the picture about Huey Long, All theKing's Men. In Rossen's version of All the King's Men, which he sent me to read for a part, every character who had any responsibility at all was guilty of some offense against society. To make Huey Long a wonderful, rough pirate was great; but, according to this picture, everybody was a poo poo except for this weakling intern doctor who was trying to find a place in the world. I sent the script back to Charlie Feldman, my agent, and said, "If you ever send me a script like this again, I'll fire you." Ironically, it won the Academy Award.

High Noon was even worse. Everybody says High Noon is a great picture because Tiomkin wrote some great music for it and because Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly were in it. So it's got everything going for it. In that picture, four guys come in to gun down the sheriff. He goes to the church and asks for help and the guys go, "Oh well, oh gee." And the women stand up and say, "You're rats. You're rats. You're rats." So Cooper goes out alone. It's the most un-American thing I've ever seen in my whole life. The last thing in the picture is ole Coop putting the United States marshal's badge under his foot and stepping on it. I'll never regret having helped run Foreman out of this country.

in short, gently caress John Wayne. He also tried to pressure Gary Cooper to drop out of High Noon by threatening him with never working in Hollywood again.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Alan Smithee posted:

there really isnt a post apoc thread so

is the Postman worth watching

no

if you want to see a post apoc Kevin Costner then watch Waterworld instead. At least that one has some fun parts.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Heavy Metal posted:

Any fans of those Trinity guys, Spencer and Hill? I haven't checked those out yet. It is wild that they have a steam beat-em-up game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/564050/Bud_Spencer__Terence_Hill__Slaps_And_Beans/

The two Trinity movies (They Call Me Trinity and Trinity Is Still My Name) and My Name is Nobody are really good movies.

At the time the Trinity movies were some of the highest grossing movies in Italy, they were insanely popular. Got real big in Spain and Germany too.

I mean, look at this:

They were directed by Enzo Barboni who was the cinematographer on a whole bunch of westerns in the 60s (including Django). As far as I know he only really directed movies with Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill.

Now, My Name is Nobody is a different animal because the idea to make it came from Sergio Leone.
I guess he figured that if anyone was going to make fun of westerns if drat better be him.
Officially the movie is directed by Tonino Valerii who was Leone's assistant director on Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More but there are some people claiming that Leone actually directed most of it.
What is known is that Leone did second unit directing with Terrence Hill in the saloon scene.

The movie is crammed full of references to all the westerns that came before it (spaghetti and american) and it has what I think is Ennio Morricones best work.
Henry Fonda has also said that it was his favourite movie to make of all the westerns he starred in.

And I mean, look at this guy. How could you say no to that face?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Heavy Metal posted:

Lee Van Cleef, any takes on non-Leone ones he has a big role in? Other than his fun but small cool bits in High Noon and Liberty Valance.

I've had Death Rides a Horse, The Big Gundown, and Day of Anger on the list, and Sabata also sounds like it could be fun.

You definitely want Sabata and Return of Sabata if you want to see Lee in a lead role. In between those two movies is Adios, Sabata starring Yul Brunner because Lee van Cleef was shooting another movie at the time, but it is part of the trilogy.
Sabata is really just a variation on the character of Sartana from If You Meet Sartana Pray for Your Death which was directed by Parolini and when the sequels to that was given to another director he decided to just create Sabata instead.

You also have Beyond the Law which sort of feels like Italians trying to make an American style western movie.
Barquero is worth a watch and it is american made western that feels more like a spaghetti western than a traditional one, but Lee is good in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Watching One-Eyed Jacks (1961) because I had never really heard of it before and a) Marlon Brando in a western is not that common and b) this is the only movie Brando directed, albeit he only became the director because Kubrick got fired.

Plus, it has a pretty good cast of supporting characters in Karl Malden, Ben Johnson and Slim Pickens.

Unfortunately it isn't actually a very good movie, it also clocks in at almost 2½ hours and there was plenty of things that could have been cut for time.
Apparently the studio didn't like Brando's final cut and did all kinds of edits on their own, so that could account for the movie feeling a bit disjointed.

There is still something slightly magical about Brando mumbling away while holding a revolver and looking sweaty though.

There's a good movie in there somewhere, but you would need to re-edit it.