Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

90s and later western lists without Ravenous and Dead Man are bannable fyi

Also in ascending order of quality: the revenant, blueberry, big money rustlas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

sean10mm posted:

Hot take: The Revenant looks great but is overpoweringly dumb.

It’s no big money rustlas, for sure

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The very one. They did a big Ulmer retrospective series near me this year and I thought, "Well, heck, I'll see whatever this Western is," and I was unexpectedly blown away. I ran into an old college buddy afterwards and he was practically catatonic he loved it so much. It's so hard to have diamonds in the rough in the film world anymore with the internet and all but this one just popped us out of nowhere.

I had no idea this existed, thanks for posting about it. I loved it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I’m gonna be that guy and pint out that it’s the “cavalry trilogy”, as in horse Mounted military units, not “Calvary”, the place where Christ was crucified

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Sorry to double post but I decided to do a quick Western streaming audit. This is a list of everything to stream in the US right now that I would call decent at minimum:

Amazon Prime
Stagecoach (1939)
Angel and the Badman (1947)
Rio Grande (1950)
Johnny Guitar (1954)
Vera Cruz (1954)
The Magnificent Seven (1960)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
Hud (1963)
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
True Grit (1969)
Comes a Horseman (1978)
Meek’s Cutoff (2010)
True Grit (2010)

Criterion Channel
Stagecoach (1939)
Vera Cruz (1954)
Dead Man (1995)

Hulu
The Furies (1950)
Johnny Guitar (1954)
Hud (1963)
Blazing Saddles (1974)
The Good, the Bad, and the Weird (2008)
Meek’s Cutoff (2010)
True Grit (2010)
The Sisters Brothers (2018)

Kanopy
Stagecoach (1939)
Dead Man (1995)
Meek’s Cutoff (2010)

Netflix
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966)
Django Unchained (2012)
The Hateful Eight (2015)
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)

I knew Netflix was trash for classics but drat.

Prime has Duck You Sucker

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

big boi posted:

Is Treasure of the Sierra Madre considered a Western? Because that movie is awesome and features a weird but great Bogart performance.

I don't see any way to argue it isn't one, really

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lumbermouth posted:

Holy poo poo I can't believe there were TWO blaxploitation westerns with the n-word edited out of their title.

legend of n***** charlie has a sequel too

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tbh I don’t think of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford as a western. Only the coda is set in the west (Missouri is technically west of the Mississippi but no one would call it the West) and it doesn’t really share any particular thematic qualities with most westerns. It’s a neo noir set in the 19th century. It’s got a lot more blood from Thieves Like Us, Heat, or The Friends of Eddie Coyle than any western

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yeah I always thought that was pretty funny, and Django is way more of a western than Jesse James

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ruddiger posted:

I like Duck You Sucker way more than the Dollar Trilogy.

Yeah i strongly disagree, Duck You Sucker is my favorite Leone and the most interesting by far. It's maybe not as accomplished as TGTBATU, I guess