Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I'll give a shoutout to The Gunfighter with Gregory Peck, who plays Jimmy Ringo, an aging gunfighter who wants to escape his life as the fastest gunfighter in the West. Peck is great at expressing a man who is tired of it all, tired of living life on the move, trying to avoid trouble only to have young gunfighters challenge him and won't take no for an answer. Peck's performance is the real draw as he goes back and forth between despair at his life and future to a boyish hope when he reconnects with an old flame. Great film, streaming on Starz.

My personal favorite western is probably The Magnificent Seven, the 1960 original. The ensemble cast is great and they all have their own time to shine with their individual characterizations, something the remake a year a two ago never got quite right. It's not the prettiest movie, but it has tight plotting and the dialogue is lean, nothing is wasted or superfluous. The music score is big, punchy, overall fantastic. Looks like it's streaming on Amazon Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I had not seen The Searchers for years and years and recently rewatched it after finishing the book its based on, and it was eye opening as some things that are more explicit in the book than in the film that I am too dense to pick up on like John Wayne's character Ethan (named Amos in the novel) was in love with his brothers wife, far beyond a familial love. It's obvious now watching the movie, how he treats her and what he says, and how that drives him, but I never picked up on that before.

The movie follows the novel pretty closely, but the ending for Ethan (Amos) is different

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok, I've made the following list of westerns for my freinds to watch and discuss, in something more consistent and serious than just a regular movie night. We did this previously with 10 Kurosawa films and it went well.

This list is already much larger than the Kurosawa list, but is there anything I absolutely must add? Or any glaringly bad choices? I've seen some of these but not many. I plan to watch them in chronological order except that Unforgiven will be last, after Tombstone.

The Great Train Robbery 1903
Hell's Hinges 1916
straight shooter 1917
iron horse 1924
Charlie Chaplain Gold Rush 1925
3 Bad Men 1926
Stage Coach 1939
My darling clementine 1946
Fort Apache 1948
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon 1949
Rio Grande 1950
Shane 1953
The Searchers 1956
Rio bravo 1959
The Man who Shot Liberty Valance 1962
El Dorado 1966
True Grit 1969
For a Fistfull of Dollars 1964
For a Few Dollars More 1965
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly 1966
Once upon a time in the west 1968
High Plains Drifter 1973
Tombstone 1993
Unforgiven 1992

Assuming having watched Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, the 1960 western remake of it The Magnificent Seven would be worth a watch. You have a good list and the only thing I'll note and that's not to say to change anything, is that El Dorado is basically a remake of Rio Bravo. If you wanted to pare it down maybe only watch one of those but I couldn't say which one, been a while since I watched them.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Johnny Guitar is definitely an outlier in a lot of ways, and it's been a darling of critics, scholars, and nerds forever as a result. There are just so many facets to its strangeness. You've got Joan Crawford in the lead, shoved into a Western because studios deemed her too old for bigger movies, but she's still the fuckin' acting queen of her time and completely slays the role. There's Emma Small, who's ripe for queer readings of the film; does she really want revenge, or is she just afraid of her own repressed attraction to Vienna? And Sterling Hayden, who's ostensibly the lead, barely does anything in the movie! And in spite of all its "wrong turns" it's an impeccable drama.

My recent Western obsession has been another one of those, Ulmer's The Naked Dawn, written by a blacklisted screenwriter and made for peanuts. It's so outside the mainstream that its story feels completely liberated, with dialogue that just slaps you in the face with its truth and spirit. I think it's one of the greatest Westerns I've ever seen and I don't even know how to pitch it to folks, especially because the leads are white people playing Mexicans. It's from 1955 but it feels closer in spirit to stuff from the late 60s and 70s. It's all on YT if you want to check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OoYkq9YsSA

There's a scene about four minutes into the film that is so powerful in the way it makes you feel like the walls of the genre are crashing down around you.

I watched Johnny Guitar because of this post and drat, what a great movie. "Strangeness" is a good word for it, so many things that set it apart but it all worked. Early on there's a 4th wall breaking shot where one of the workers is talking to the camera as he walks and it pulls back from a kitchen window to show who he's actually talking to, and that shot grabbed me. I'm glad you brought my attention to it as the name "Johnny Guitar" sounds so generic I never would have given it the time of day.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I don't even know if I liked Silverado that much but I've had such a hankering to watch it again. It's one-of-a-kind for its time.

I know I've seen Silverado, I cannot remember a thing about Silverado, but I can instantly recall the theme song of Silverado. So there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

wesleywillis posted:

Why are so many characters in westerns named "Ringo" or "Johnny Ringo"

Also when I'm watching Grit, there are naturally a lot of movies that take place during or just after the US civil war and I always hear people referring to confederates as "Johhny Reb/Rebel"

Besides Yankee, did the southerners ever have a name for northerners like "George Yankee" or "Jimmy Yankee" or some poo poo?

Watch The Gunfighter (1950) with Gregory Peck for a good movie with a main character named Jimmy Ringo!