Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Hello, please watch Lonely Are the Brave.

Here’s a wonderful write up Alex Cox did on it: http://nytimes.com/2012/07/29/movies/kirk-douglass-film-lonely-are-the-brave.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Jack B Nimble posted:

If I wanted to add fewer than a half dozen "modern westerns" to show after Unforgiven and Tombstone, dating from the 90s to today, what are the five I absolutely have to have?

I would say Meek's Cutoff is probably a must. Nothing like it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Jack B Nimble posted:

I didn't realize there was a film adaptation of All the Pretty Horses. I haven't read it but have read and enjoyed Blood Meredian and No Country for Old Men. The film seems well reviewed, anyone seen it?

It’s awful. Stick with the book, which is great. Its sequel, The Crossing, is my favorite book.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Payndz posted:

If you're ever in southern Spain (I lived there for a year) and a western fan, it's well worth paying a visit to Tabernas in Almeria. There are three former - and occasionally still active - western film sets there in close proximity that are now tourist attractions: Mini Hollywood (aka Oasys), Texas Hollywood (aka Fort Bravo) and Western Leone. Mini Hollywood was first built for For A Few Dollars More, Western Leone for Once Upon A Time In The West and Texas Hollywood, as far as I've been able to find out, was set up for the spaghetti western boom in general but used in The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, along with many others. The bank at El Paso from FAFDM is a centrepiece of Mini Hollywood, and it's great fun* wandering around all of them and finding a building or setpiece or camera angle that you've seen on screen.

* Warning: spouses may not agree with definition of 'fun'.

I forgot to get around to mentioning that I did this last September and it was loving great. My relationship with my girlfriend is sort of built on a foundation of Westerns (we both love Lonesome Dove) and she had lived in Spain before so we went ahead and added Almería to an otherwise touristy itinerary. Not only was Mini Hollywood great, but the desert mountains out there are breathtakingly beautiful. For the cowboy shootout, they blast Morricone music and break a dude out of the jail by pulling the bars off the window by horse & rope. It felt like some kind of pilgrimage.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Fort Apache's awesome. Your guy is out of his gourd and should probably rewatch it, especially if you guys have been down with all the other Ford you've been watching.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
In honor of my man K-Doug’s memory, please watch Lonely Are the Brave if you get the chance.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Johnny Guitar is definitely an outlier in a lot of ways, and it's been a darling of critics, scholars, and nerds forever as a result. There are just so many facets to its strangeness. You've got Joan Crawford in the lead, shoved into a Western because studios deemed her too old for bigger movies, but she's still the fuckin' acting queen of her time and completely slays the role. There's Emma Small, who's ripe for queer readings of the film; does she really want revenge, or is she just afraid of her own repressed attraction to Vienna? And Sterling Hayden, who's ostensibly the lead, barely does anything in the movie! And in spite of all its "wrong turns" it's an impeccable drama.

My recent Western obsession has been another one of those, Ulmer's The Naked Dawn, written by a blacklisted screenwriter and made for peanuts. It's so outside the mainstream that its story feels completely liberated, with dialogue that just slaps you in the face with its truth and spirit. I think it's one of the greatest Westerns I've ever seen and I don't even know how to pitch it to folks, especially because the leads are white people playing Mexicans. It's from 1955 but it feels closer in spirit to stuff from the late 60s and 70s. It's all on YT if you want to check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OoYkq9YsSA

There's a scene about four minutes into the film that is so powerful in the way it makes you feel like the walls of the genre are crashing down around you.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 6, 2020

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
e: oops.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Franchescanado posted:

You mean Edgar G. Ulmer, director of the noir classic Detour? Sold.

Thanks for the link!

The very one. They did a big Ulmer retrospective series near me this year and I thought, "Well, heck, I'll see whatever this Western is," and I was unexpectedly blown away. I ran into an old college buddy afterwards and he was practically catatonic he loved it so much. It's so hard to have diamonds in the rough in the film world anymore with the internet and all but this one just popped us out of nowhere.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Jack B Nimble posted:

Well, we’ve finished John Ford’s & John Wayne’s Calvary Trilogy (Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, and Rio Grande). The second film was the first in color and the visuals, not just in color but in props, setting, etc, were excellent, that had to be quite the movie in its day. Regarding Rio Grande, it seemed much worse by comparison, and I heard somewhere that John Wayne was sort of phoning it in, any truth to that?

The only thing I remember about Rio Grande is the dudes singing Bold Fenian Men for the general, a scene I have since rewatched on youtube many times because it's a Ford masterclass in visual storytelling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvOn1mkU8Sg

Everybody in the scene is given something to think about from the song, and they're emoting so well you feel like you're in their heads.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
My partner and I started watching Gunsmoke because The Rifleman started to feel a little stale, and so far it's been worthy of its reputation.

The other night we watched "The Pest Hole," which was about a typhoid outbreak in Dodge City. All the businessmen want to keep everything open against the marshal's wishes, and they even go and randomly murder some dude because they think he's the cause. The more things change, man

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Sorry to double post but I decided to do a quick Western streaming audit. This is a list of everything to stream in the US right now that I would call decent at minimum:

Amazon Prime
Stagecoach (1939)
Angel and the Badman (1947)
Rio Grande (1950)
Johnny Guitar (1954)
Vera Cruz (1954)
The Magnificent Seven (1960)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
Hud (1963)
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
True Grit (1969)
Comes a Horseman (1978)
Meek’s Cutoff (2010)
True Grit (2010)

Criterion Channel
Stagecoach (1939)
Vera Cruz (1954)
Dead Man (1995)

Hulu
The Furies (1950)
Johnny Guitar (1954)
Hud (1963)
Blazing Saddles (1974)
The Good, the Bad, and the Weird (2008)
Meek’s Cutoff (2010)
True Grit (2010)
The Sisters Brothers (2018)

Kanopy
Stagecoach (1939)
Dead Man (1995)
Meek’s Cutoff (2010)

Netflix
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966)
Django Unchained (2012)
The Hateful Eight (2015)
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)

I knew Netflix was trash for classics but drat.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The king is dead long live the king

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6IJKSsJVds

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I finished reading Glenn Frankel's new book High Noon: The Hollywood Blacklist and the Making of an American Classic, which was a fairly enlightening history of the kinds of rhetorical navigation studios and artists had to do to survive the Red Scare in the late 40s and 50s. It also made sure to inform me more than once that Gary Cooper made sweet cowboy love to every woman on the lot for twenty years.

I watched the movie again last night and goddamnit all, it's still so great. The tension operates at a perfect crescendo throughout its 80-something minutes, and there never was a Hollywood film that both earned and deserved a happy ending as much.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
He looks even worse next to Cooper, also a conservative Republican, who saw what HUAC was and tried to protect artists he respected from their nonsense. He even offered his name and cash to Foreman's proposed new production company after he got blacklisted, but was discouraged by basically everyone else in his life and had to back out.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Westerns are really the best window into American historiography, maybe the John Fords most of all. So much to say about war and love and the meaning of life while conveniently compartmentalizing the foundations in slaughter and slavery.

I think it tends to be overblown how much Western stories buy into the myth of the frontier (by the time the movies got any good we were well past the romanticizing days of Zane Grey and Louis L'Amour), but yeah, they do show their age by how casually the Lost Cause narrative or supremacy over Indians seep their way into otherwise thoughtful themes.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I don't even know if I liked Silverado that much but I've had such a hankering to watch it again. It's one-of-a-kind for its time.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Payndz posted:

Definitely worth visiting the three western film sets near Tabernas in Spain if you get the opportunity (Mini Hollywood, Texas Hollywood and Western Leone).

Made pilgrimage in '19.

Next time we go to Spain I'm hoping we can hit up the GBU cemetery in Burgos.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Payndz posted:

Did you visit Texas Hollywood? When I was last there in '18 they were halfway through building something new below the Mexican village, a large building similar to the one dominating the village in AFOD, but I haven't seen any photos of it completed and I'm curious to find out what it is. (I know they moved the stretch of railway line since I was there, and I'm wondering if it was all for a film shoot.)

We were not in Almería long enough to check out anywhere else, and in hindsight we wish we'd stayed longer because we liked it better than anywhere else we went in Andalucía. Wish I could help!

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Finally got around to that Silverado rewatch over the weekend and I liked it more than I remember. It certainly stands out just for being so unique for its era, basically a Star Wars Western. The action is great, the casting is mostly solid (Jeff Goldblum as a gambler ain't it), and of course there's that music that makes you want to hitch up and ride out.

And I gotta say the "Popeye gets his spinach" moment is glorious.

Anyway it popped up on Hulu and Prime if you ain't seen it.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 16, 2021

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I threw on Sergeant Rutledge last night and it thoroughly rocked my poo poo. I thought I had made my way through all the tier 1 John Ford there was to see but I was very, very wrong. It's his best cavalry movie, somehow leaving the Cavalry Trilogy in the dust.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Been scarfing down these Budd Boetticher Westerns on Criterion Channel and they are such a treat for the enthusiast. They look great, they’re short, and the plot never goes where you think it will. My favorite so far is The Tall T, which features a brilliant bad guy performance by Richard Boone.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Heavy Metal posted:

That sounds like wild times.

Anybody dig Hombre or the 50s 3:10 to Yuma? Both are based on Elmore Leonard, and I've been enjoying/looking into his stuff lately.

Lee Van Cleef, any takes on non-Leone ones he has a big role in? Other than his fun but small cool bits in High Noon and Liberty Valance.

I've had Death Rides a Horse, The Big Gundown, and Day of Anger on the list, and Sabata also sounds like it could be fun.

In my reasonably informed opinion the Glenn Ford 3:10 to Yuma is one of the best Westerns ever.

Re: van Cleef, I really liked Big Gundown

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Watched Once upon a Time in the West over the weekend; hadn't watched it in probably 10 years or more. It's still so, so great, one of a small handful of Westerns that every person who likes movies should see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I don't recall America featuring a leisurely carriage ride through Monument Valley serenaded by Morricone therefore it is definitely not better

Kindly take your blasphemy out of the Western thread, friend