Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Finally sent out my gift(s). Should be arriving Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

More presents!

This time, wonderful wonderful books.

Paperbacks from Hell is a very cool book about pulp horror novels with glorious illustrations of their bizarre covers. I've gifted this a few times, even as prizes for the Horror Challenges I host, but I haven't actually flipped through a physical copy myself, despite wanting it for a while. This is great. I can't wait to dig in.

The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic Book Scare and How It Changed America is a history of the comic book industry from the end of WW2 to the mid 50's, when their pulpy goodness was threatened by McCarthyish panic. I hadn't heard of this book, but this is a moment of pop culture, art and censorship that I find absolutely fascinating. Fun fact: I used to make a lot of comics growing up, and had dreams of being a professional comic book writer/artist until I realized the hellscape that is the modern comic industry. I'm also a big fan of old EC horror comics, which was the major target of this disastrous period for artists and writers. A great pick!

Shock Value: How a Few Eccentric Outsiders Gave Us Nightmares, Conquered Hollywood, and Invented Modern Horror is about the history of horror's reinvention in the 1970's with Wes Craven, John Carpenter and other amazing filmmakers and horror classics.

These are absolutely perfect. I'm giddy with excitement to read these. I have been thinking about getting back into reading even more in the next year, after my love for the written word has been squandered these past few years. Santa must have felt those wave-lengths and gifted me a bounty of delightful books on my favorite subject matters.

Thank you, Santa, whoever you may be!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You're welcome! Glad you liked them. They all felt a bit riskily obvious to me so I was worried they'd be passé to you because I saw you also post in the Book Barn thread. I love all three so much!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

You're welcome! Glad you liked them. They all felt a bit riskily obvious to me so I was worried they'd be passé to you because I saw you also post in the Book Barn thread. I love all three so much!

Not at all, they’re great choices. Thanks again!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Bah, the Awful app won’t let me upload the pic of my gifts, but thanks Anonymous Robot!

I know basically nothing about George Saunders so I’m interested to check out Tenth of December during my holiday down time. Jaipur looks right up my alley in terms of games, and the homemade gingerbread cookies are delicious and made the whole box smell like Christmas!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Saunders is a funny read for me as a writer because I see in his work what I would be doing in my own work if I had real skill.

Jaipur is a cool game because it only really has like, three rules, but the interplay of those rules with the game components yields a fair amount of nuance and strategic variance.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Anonymous Robot posted:

Saunders is a funny read for me as a writer because I see in his work what I would be doing in my own work if I had real skill.

Jaipur is a cool game because it only really has like, three rules, but the interplay of those rules with the game components yields a fair amount of nuance and strategic variance.

I've only read Lincoln in the Bardo but twas good.

I can vouch for Anonymous Robot's amazing and thoughtful gifts. A few months ago before my surgery he sent me a home-baked apple bread (with apples he picked hisself) that was delicious, a book on organizing, a movie, a buncha gummies and halloween trinkets, and my favorite patch. I've still got to build a thank you package but I feel like it won't be able to live up.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'm very excited for A-Blaze to reveal his gifts.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, I'll get to it. I was waiting until I got my last item and I think I still have one thing coming. Still, I'll try and get it done this weekend.

Also I think my santees should have received all their gifts

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

A big thanks to my Santa, who sent me Fanny And Alexander, Hellzapoppin, The Villainess, and two nice posters, though if there was a note I could not find it.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Sorry I wrote a note but hosed up and forgot to put it in the package. The prints are from my local video store and I hope you enjoy the films.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

FancyMike posted:

Sorry I wrote a note but hosed up and forgot to put it in the package. The prints are from my local video store and I hope you enjoy the films.

I plan to, Villainess in particular looks cool

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Thanks so much, axelblaze!

You got me my favorite movie of 2018 (Sorry to Bother You) another top-5er (Mandy) and a documentary on video nasties, a subject I love but haven't checked out this doc yet. Perfect gifts! Merry Christmas y'all :):

e: Oh! And also in a separate package, Magic Magic, which I've never heard of before but sounds right up my alley and has a terrific cast. Thanks again!

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 25, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Oh sweet! Glad I seem to have picked well. Head up: there is like a 50% you'll hate Magic Magic. Like pretty much all that Director's films, it's uncomfortable and unsatisfying in a way that I think even most horror fans don't want. Still, I love it!

Anyways, let's stop putting this off...got my package from I before E. First thing:

Sweet! I actually have seen shamefully few Bruce Lee movies.

Next is...hmm

Hmm...

Hmm...

Oh!

I think this was the first Godzilla movie I ever saw. Neat! Thanks

And oh what's this: one more package?
I wonder what could be inside???

:oh: (that's prince william btw. the cat ran after the photo was took and I'm not taking a cat free photo)

I guess this is what I get for indicating I don't actually hate Funkos. I'm going to pretend you got me this one which I got recently and actually quite like

And thank you for it and for all the other gifts

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 25, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
My post seems to have broke something, at least my end, let me try posting again to see if does anything

Edit: there we go

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
So it turns out Alfred P Pseudonym was both my santee and my santa!

Thanks to them, I've now got copies of Fantastic Planet and Cemetery Without Crosses, a movie that I've always been meaning to watch, and have never heard of but looks like exactly my poo poo, respectively. In fact, I've never seen a French western, period.

Fantastic Planet has a funny detail. Normally, Criterion editions come with an essay booklet, but for Fantastic Planet, they opted to pack in a poster, so they just printed the essay on the reverse side of the fold-out poster.

Thanks, Alfred!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Glad you like em! Merry Christmas!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

axelblaze posted:

Oh sweet! Glad I seem to have picked well. Head up: there is like a 50% you'll hate Magic Magic. Like pretty much all that Director's films, it's uncomfortable and unsatisfying in a way that I think even most horror fans don't want. Still, I love it!

Anyways, let's stop putting this off...got my package from I before E. First thing:

Sweet! I actually have seen shamefully few Bruce Lee movies.

Next is...hmm

Hmm...

Hmm...

Oh!

I think this was the first Godzilla movie I ever saw. Neat! Thanks

And oh what's this: one more package?
I wonder what could be inside???

:oh: (that's prince william btw. the cat ran after the photo was took and I'm not taking a cat free photo)

I guess this is what I get for indicating I don't actually hate Funkos. I'm going to pretend you got me this one which I got recently and actually quite like

And thank you for it and for all the other gifts

I actually considered getting one of those Royals Funkos for my brother as payback for when he gave me a copy of Ready Player One a few Christmases ago, but I decided given the funko stuff in this thread, you would appreciate a fun little gag gift like that alongside some actually good gifts.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Holy poo poo, thank you axelblaze!

This is great, the cookbook looks fun and I love the Cosmatos. I've been meaning to rewatch Mandy and am especially excited to be watching it on disc rather than streaming.

Never heard of Good Manners and haven't looked it up. Looking forward to going in as blind as possible, hopefully in the next couple days.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I was so busy being in the hospital this week that I forgot I had one more Secret Santa package that I was waiting to open on Christmas Day (you gotta open something on Christmas). Tore into it this morning, and...

I have no idea what the gently caress I am in for, but my body is ready.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Pulgasari whips rear end.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
that looks loving dope

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

I was so busy being in the hospital this week that I forgot I had one more Secret Santa package that I was waiting to open on Christmas Day (you gotta open something on Christmas). Tore into it this morning, and...

I have no idea what the gently caress I am in for, but my body is ready.

I know you love Godzilla so I thought you’d enjoy that. Hope I was right!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

therattle posted:

I know you love Godzilla so I thought you’d enjoy that. Hope I was right!

I'm watching it tonight after I get home from infusion therapy. I don't think there's anything better for a snowy Saturday night than a bowl of popcorn and a bizarro North Korean Godzilla knockoff. :hfive:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's the one from the kidnapped South Korean director, right? That story is nuts, someone should adapt that to screen if they haven't already.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

That's the one from the kidnapped South Korean director, right? That story is nuts, someone should adapt that to screen if they haven't already.

The producer I used to work for had a go. Never got it off the ground. I think there has been a version that was made quite recently. His former lover, an actress, was kidnapped too. They had to work together.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, my Lord, Pulgasari was an hour and a half of pure batshit insanity and I loved every minute of it. If it weren't for King of the Monsters coming next May with the promise of MY KING, MY KING GHIDORAH wrecking poo poo, I could die a happy man tonight.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 31, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Now you gotta watch the Damaijin movies.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Hey, axeblaze, did my stuff arrive?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My santee should be getting their gift next Monday per Amazon

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Hey, axeblaze, did my stuff arrive?

I have not seen anything :ohdear:

Do you know when it was supposed to arrive?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

axelblaze posted:

I have not seen anything :ohdear:

Do you know when it was supposed to arrive?

I ordered it when I ordered Timby’s! I now can’t recall exactly what it all was! I remember one part but not all of it. :ohdear:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

therattle posted:

I ordered it when I ordered Timby’s! I now can’t recall exactly what it all was! I remember one part but not all of it. :ohdear:

My gift to axelblaze was reported as delivered but he never got it last year, and I wound up having to order a replacement.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

This is Harakiri and the obsessed-with-eating-plastic cat Bowie, and one (three guesses as to which one) of these things in the photo was a present from my Secret Santa which is awesome! I've been meaning to check this out for aaaaaaages as my own non-Kurosawa and Godzilla knowledge of Japanese cinema pretty much begins and ends with (a very limited amount of) Miike so this rules; thanks so much anonymous Santa!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just got the 1929 Phantom of the Opera and the freaky 80s Mark Twain claymation in the mail. I used to have the former on a ultra cheap DVD I got at a flea market in a box set with Attack of the Giant Leeches, The Wasp Woman, and other similar titles.

Haven't seen it in ages but I remember the imagery being really cool even on DVD. Can't wait to see it in proper definition.

I've only seen the one Mark Twain segment with Claymation Satan but if any of the other stuff is even close to that it probably rules.

A thousand thanks to Egbert.

I, Butthole posted:

This is Harakiri and the obsessed-with-eating-plastic cat Bowie, and one (three guesses as to which one) of these things in the photo was a present from my Secret Santa which is awesome! I've been meaning to check this out for aaaaaaages as my own non-Kurosawa and Godzilla knowledge of Japanese cinema pretty much begins and ends with (a very limited amount of) Miike so this rules; thanks so much anonymous Santa!

It's me. I'm the Hara-kiri sender and my cat also tries to eat any and all plastic.

Enjoy it. It's a fantastic film.

Sorry for the wait.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 2, 2019

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Harakiri rips

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's me. I'm the Hara-kiri sender and my cat also tries to eat any and all plastic.

Enjoy it. It's a fantastic film.

Sorry for the wait.

Comes with the territory of living on prison island so no worries at all. Thanks again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just got the 1929 Phantom of the Opera and the freaky 80s Mark Twain claymation in the mail. I used to have the former on a ultra cheap DVD I got at a flea market in a box set with Attack of the Giant Leeches, The Wasp Woman, and other similar titles.

Haven't seen it in ages but I remember the imagery being really cool even on DVD. Can't wait to see it in proper definition.

I've only seen the one Mark Twain segment with Claymation Satan but if any of the other stuff is even close to that it probably rules.

A thousand thanks to Egbert.

Sweet, it arrived early! The silent Phantom usually looks terrible, but BFI's edition is the only one with the original 1925 cut in HD, albeit from 16mm. The US edition is a pretty bad upscale (1929 looks good though) and the 1929 version doesn't have as good as a score as BFI's. Plus it has the feature-length documentary on Lon Chaney. The Adventures of Mark Twain was a last minute replacement, but still a neat film. I was wanting to send you BFI's set of Kenneth Anger films, but it went out of print without warning.

I hope you enjoy these and merry slightly belated Christmas.