Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Wow, that wind puzzle is annoying as gently caress. Sure they technically give you "cues" to know you're set up right, but that's kind of crazy picky timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Actually picked up the Tomb Raider games after watching the LPs, just got a little past you in this one (been splitting between Rise and the original at the moment). You missed one shortcut when your weighted platform gambit failed around 10:30, there's a section of wall behind you where you can scramble up to reach some slats you can climb up (to the right of where you tried to jump up around 11 minutes). Not sure why they didn't color code it white like the usual spots, though the wall it's on is white at least. Granted just grabbing the platforms and coming back from the "opposite way" works better like you showed. Tried collecting all the stuff in that area, but it is a nightmare; at least one of them seems like a nightmare timed jumping puzzle that I decided not to screw with. Nice to see I'm not the only one starting to get too many resources so I can't collect more; think I even did the shotgun ammo pouch just to stop the complaining and try desperately to use some of the stuff up.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Nice to see/hear you make the exact same mistakes I made in that area, though my ability to ninja through doing stealth takedowns like you do instead of bumbling around and shooting my way out frantically like a madman is... noticeably worse than yours. I will say having finally finished the first Tomb Raider that I like how this sequel seems much better about the running sequences; they don't seem to be as common in Rise and the ones that happen are much easier to figure out what to do (I swear sometimes I thought having a great graphics card made the first one harder because I couldn't see a drat thing past all the debris/splashing water it kept throwing on the screen, Rise doesn't let the chaos confuse you as to what to do in the sequence as much).

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Oddly enough I was amazing at stealth in that area, killed everybody in every section without being spotted. Using poison arrows with groups like you did near the end helped a bunch, since apparently people coughing to death is not a suspicious sound. Though of course I did usually take the last ones with fire for pretty much the same reason you did :D. I agree the fact that a screwup isn't instant doom makes the stealth parts more fun; get caught, say gently caress it and go Goddess of War on the enemy instead of re-loading.

As for the lack of buildings, it seems like the Prophet's people do most of their recent building in wood, probably part of their "one with nature" thing. Add in the ruins seems semi-sacred to them (if not so much for Laura...) and I can buy them re-purposing ruins but not stripping them for stone. Hell, if not for Trinity running around playing conquistador they might not even be in the old city buildings at all. Wood admittedly is not so good in time of war, but outright building fortifications out of the stone would just point out where they were to Trinity, so just lurking in the remnants makes some sense that way too.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
To be fair, "Because it's COOL!" is a legitimate reason to make the Atlas considering how that thing works, in-game too really considering the whole religious cult thing.

It's a video back now, but I kind of like the fact Laura responded to Ana's "join me" spiel by actually shooting and hitting her, was a nice touch to the usual "hero rejects the villain" thing by making it less "Never!" and more "If you were smart you would have joined ME".

berryjon posted:

Video title is very accurate as you do not do what Lara did in this video without a plan. And Lara had no plan.

Although to be fair, Lara has kinda been winging it since the start of the previous game, so there has to be something going for her there.

That is kind of a deliberate theme with her in the whole series, I rather like in Shadow that she finds out the hard way just how bad the results of constantly going without planning get eventually when everything goes Really Wrong.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Lazyfire posted:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is something I want to do eventually, but there are a couple things/shorter games I was going to do first that shouldn't take long before I started that up. Always nice to hear people are enjoying the videos, the game is really good and I hope the LP is a good showcase.

Well, thanks for encouraging me to get into the series at least; just finished Shadow myself. Fun game (and I have a system that could show off the ridiculous graphics of the thing) but the wall climbing seems really buggy (think the game likes to "miss" and stick you inside the wall a lot) and had to play with my Windows settings thanks to one nasty bug that kept crashing the game towards the end. Here's hoping you have better luck by the time you get there; they'll probably have finished releasing the DLC tombs by then at least.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Interestingly the Deathless Ones apparently speak actual fluent (if probably too modern) Greek from what I understand, nice touch. I got pulverized in that first fight with them; definitely shows I should used auto-shotgun, that thing went through them FAST.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Had the exact same bug there, apparently pretty common from what I understand. Pissed me off like crazy of course till I found out the solution online, it’s apparently thanks to those guys not spawning right where they’re supposed to on the top of the trebuchet. Running out then back works as you showed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Awesome LP, nice to see I'm not the only one who was occasionally having to struggle through it while playing. And Jacob was one of those "man was not meant to have this power" types with a combination of "too good for this Earth" so I knew he was probably on borrowed time. I just wonder if reboot Lara will ever get a "yeah, this supernatural stuff is completely true" victory where the world can see it rather than losing all proof every time (I seem to recall there was some suggestion in the original series people had caught on to the weird existing even if they didn't know as much as Lara).

Nice to see what happens when you "spare" Constantin, I figured it would be cool and all but I killed him myself on the principle "this way I KNOW the bastard is dead". I mean, imagine him coming back all burn scarred from that fall that "had to kill him"; no, I was going to kill the bastard, double-check his pulse was gone, then double tap the head to be sure if I could.