Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Yay! :allears:

I've always passed this game over, it always seems like there's something better or cheaper to buy when it crosses my path, so I'll definitely watch this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

In a way, your distractions are a good thing as it's a constant reward for a player to keep moving, that there are no dead areas in the game that the developers skipped over as a glorified loading area for the next big thing, or used as a visual set piece that is then ignored for the rest of the game.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I refuse to mock you!

But I will enjoy watching you explore optional areas.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I like it that Lara and Jacob don't see eye to eye on everything. Each has their own priorities, and while gently caress Trinity is high on both of their lists, the Divine Source, the goal of the game, isn't something they can agree on. How this game handles this dissention is one of the better ways I've seen it done. Not the best, mind you, but definitely better.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

I think putting the journals and relic investigations at the end of the video is the right thing for flow of the episode, but you may feel like your are losing context. In at least one video I'm going to leave things as I found them because it makes an impact on the story. Otherwise, I think putting them at the end is the way to go, but I'm interested in what everyone else thinks.

Yeah, keep them at the end unless it's important.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I still think the best "Trip" section came out of the original Max Payne, if only for the sheer mood whiplash it causes.

Although I also hold a special fondness for the one from Oni, where the lead character remarks afterwords, words to the effect of "That was one weird nightmare. Lay off the late-night pizza."

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"So much damage. Between the amateur excavation and the cave in."

Lara Croft and Nathan Drake walk past a building. The building collapses with no discernible reason.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Someone getting a little too into the act of playing the part of a mythological figure? I'm surprised this hasn't come up more often in TR games given how often it turns out to be the real deal.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I do like the totally-not-Baba-Yaga's-Daughter costume. It's got enough visual going on that it's not boring to look at, and the idea of Trinity being hunted by someone associated with the Witch is just appealing to my storyteller side enough that I can roll with it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Aww, no more Little Miss Baba Yaga. :(

Nice to see that the allies here are actually making efforts to prepare, rather than the whole "logistics" thing being ignored.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

This latest gadget of Lara's, and how it's used, makes me cringe. A rock-climbing pickaxe isn't a throwing took at all! I think this particular thing would have been better used as a descender - anchor the axe, then drop yourself down, or as a swinging mechanic on a wall. I mean, yeah, i can see why the game wants you to be able to jump farther in certain places to go somewhere now as a progression gate, but how this one works just strikes me the wrong way.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video title is very accurate as you do not do what Lara did in this video without a plan. And Lara had no plan.

Although to be fair, Lara has kinda been winging it since the start of the previous game, so there has to be something going for her there.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I haven't watched the video yet, but to answer your thoughts - sometimes the Developers have to cut something due to time, money, or they had this great idea but it didn't pan out in practice. And they can't always get rid of the evidence before the game ships. So instead of thinking of it as a waste of the player's time and effort, ask yourself what could have been here to justify this spot, but got left on the cutting room floor.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I'm confused - is this setpiece puzzle better or worse than the one of the same object from Prince of Persia? Because they're both pretty awesome in their own ways.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I got to say, listening to the Deathless walk around really reminds me of classic Thief and the guards as they stroll around.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

OK, I'm gonna say that the new costume is a very close second behind Baba Yaga's. Because it's proper armor, and it looks good in motion!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Not as self-contained as it could have been, and I'm kinda sad to see Jacob go. It would have been nice to have someone like him on Lara's side for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

I think Jacob was supposed to be a surrogate father here (I know, super observant of me) and so kind of had to die as Lara's character progression is all about getting closure for her father's suicide/murder, which means requires her to willingly let go or something like that, I don't know how that works.

But he could have been the cool Uncle that Lara can high-five on her way back to the manor and not replacement-dad.

Though I suppose him dying in this way could help drive her in the next game. :shrug: