Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Nimona has been very rightly nominated for Best Animated Feature!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 25, 2024

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Larryb posted:

I think you have the wrong thread

The creator of Nimona and the creator of She Ra are the same person.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wittgen posted:

The creator of Nimona and the creator of She Ra are the same person.

Ah, nevermind then

Also Revolution is out on Netflix now

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Larryb posted:

Ah, nevermind then

Also Revolution is out on Netflix now

Holy poo poo, that story Adam tells about the billow-bike is 100% a story I heard Smith tell a few years ago about his own dad and a bike he wanted as a kid. I'm tearing up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently the live action movie is canon to this universe

Adora is confirmed as well (or Despara at least, we don’t see her face as she’s in full Horde armor but her figure is clearly feminine), she busts Hordak out of prison at the end and says Horde Prime has big plans for him

A little short but that was fun, hopefully this series doesn’t get cancelled the way other recent MOTU projects were

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 27, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well that was absolutely fantastic. Hope they get a season 3 because that was one hell of a stinger to end on.

Larryb posted:

Adora is confirmed as well (or Despara at least, we don’t see her face as she’s in full Horde armor but her figure is clearly feminine), she busts Keldor out of prison at the end and says Horde Prime has big plans for him

A little short but that was fun, hopefully this series doesn’t get cancelled the way other recent MOTU projects were

One point though: it wasn't Keldor in the tank, it was Hordak. Keldor's still locked up in Grayskull's dungeon, so he's probably still got a role to play against Despara, Hordak and Horde Prime.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Well that was absolutely fantastic. Hope they get a season 3 because that was one hell of a stinger to end on.

IIRC there's another five episodes coming at some later date.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Larryb posted:

Adora is confirmed as well (or Despara at least, we don’t see her face as she’s in full Horde armor but her figure is clearly feminine), she busts Keldor out of prison at the end and says Horde Prime has big plans for him

If they get the next season I want Eliza Dushku voicing Catra. Make it happen Kevin.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

IIRC there's another five episodes coming at some later date.

I haven't seen anything to that effect, they've said for a while now that Revolution was 5 episodes, so this is it... for now, possibly. It seems like Revolution is getting a warmer reception than Revelation did at least outside the usual suspects at the core of the bitter center of hatred at the heart of the internet, so hopefully it does well enough to get a third part and Kevin and co. can bring this bitch in for a landing.

That said, I really enjoyed them "keeping it in the family" so to speak with Grey DeLisle playing Despara/Adora. It was a nice little twist on CG He-Man's ending with her playing the character on the other end of that Horde reveal this time.

Also if I'm being patently blunt, my only real metric for success for Revolution was that I wanted to see Orko kick all sorts of rear end, and he did so 10 outta 10, no notes. Thank you Kevin Smith, I still hate basically everything else you've ever made and think you're a dipshit but you did good by my troll boy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, has the live action She-Ra series Dreamworks announced for Amazon a few years ago been officially cancelled or is it just stuck in limbo currently?

Anyway, since Smith is a fan of SPoP I hope Adora (and maybe Catra if she shows up) take some cues from their 2018 counterparts, though I wouldn’t mind them bringing back the latter’s ability to turn into a panther from the original series

As I said, hope this show doesn’t get cancelled before they can pull the trigger on all this (we’re kind of starved for MOTU content outside of the toyline and possibly comics if they’re still going at this point)

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Just finished. Show good. Ridiculously overpowered by the end, and the one-liners are horrible, but above all a huge lot of fun, with amazing voice work.

I probably shouldn't have, but I took a look at rottentomatoes.com, and happily so far the show seems to have been spared a review bombing. Looks like most people enjoy it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So to be clear, is there a second part to this coming eventually or will it be continued in a separate season (some sites are calling this the “first five episodes of Revolution”)?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Larryb posted:

So to be clear, is there a second part to this coming eventually or will it be continued in a separate season (some sites are calling this the “first five episodes of Revolution”)?

Next season: Masters of the Universe: Revulsion, just to give the haters what they want. :)

Speaking of which, I LOL'd hard at Skeletor calling Teela a "bait-and-switch" during one of the battles.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

No, Revolution is complete as-is. If anything else comes of MotU:R, it will be a separate third season continuing on from where Revolution left off, like how Revolution picked up after Revelation.

Dave Syndrome posted:

I probably shouldn't have, but I took a look at rottentomatoes.com, and happily so far the show seems to have been spared a review bombing. Looks like most people enjoy it.

Hopefully if Season 3 is greenlit it gets a larger episode count because it seems the one major complaint so far is that it's too short and too rushed to get everything in. Personally, I thought it was fine, it didn't outstay its welcome, but a full 10 episode season would have been appreciated.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Next season: Masters of the Universe: Revulsion, just to give the haters what they want. :)

Speaking of which, I LOL'd hard at Skeletor calling Teela a "bait-and-switch" during one of the battles.

Yeah lol, I was like "Man, those Clownfish boomers must be seething right now :discourse:"

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah lol, I was like "Man, those Clownfish boomers must be seething right now :discourse:"

By the way, the new Clownfish video was in my YouTube suggestion bar today and I resisted. If anyone is braver than me and wants to summarize the 50+ minutes video, I'd still like to hear the gist of it tough.

So far, most of what I gathered from the Smith haters was along the lines of "Yeah, it's a lot better BUT THAT STILL DOESN'T EXCUSE HIS PAST SINS, LET ME LIST THEM ONE MORE TIME"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gotcha, and speaking of bait and switches the misdirect regarding Keldor in episode 2 was actually pretty clever (also the irony of Skeletor being voiced by both Luke Skywalker and James Kirk was fun as well)

Also if we’re getting Adora and Horde Prime next season I hope we see Catra and some other Horde members as well

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dave Syndrome posted:

By the way, the new Clownfish video was in my YouTube suggestion bar today and I resisted. If anyone is braver than me and wants to summarize the 50+ minutes video, I'd still like to hear the gist of it tough.

So far, most of what I gathered from the Smith haters was along the lines of "Yeah, it's a lot better BUT THAT STILL DOESN'T EXCUSE HIS PAST SINS, LET ME LIST THEM ONE MORE TIME"

I think the most generous summary of it is "Boomer couple grouse about cartoon for 40 minutes, grudgingly try not to admit that they actually liked it for fear of losing audience, will still die mad about cartoons probably sooner rather than later because they're both pushing 50 and mad about cartoons all the time."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/status/1750949074541641805

Anyway, Revolution in the Top 10 list on Netflix for its first 48 hours of release, Season 3 looking possibly likely but still not a given because lol netflix, chuds and Clownfishes everywhere in shambles.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

chuds and Clownfishes everywhere in shambles.

There's another troubling narrative I see popping up in some positive reviews:
This is good -> It is good because it is much better than the last season -> It is much better because they listened to what the fans were saying -> We were justified in our behavior

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dave Syndrome posted:

There's another troubling narrative I see popping up in some positive reviews:
This is good -> It is good because it is much better than the last season -> It is much better because they listened to what the fans were saying -> We were justified in our behavior

They were gonna arrive at "we were justified in our behaviour" anyway regardless of whether or not they liked the finished product. They're more than welcome to keep loving that chicken, I guess, because we've seen the creative output result of catering to screaming dickheads and it's anemic garbage slop like The Rise of Skywalker that literally everyone hates.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Echoing Revolution was great.

But was it just me or did the audio mixing on it sound waaaaay off? The dialogue and person-level sound effects (e.g.; punching, striking, sliding, jumping/landing, etc.) sounded evenly leveled, but all of the external sound effects (e.g.; gun fire, explosions, laser beams, lightning, vehicle sounds, etc.) were all super muted.

I rewatched episode 1 of Revelation to see if it was just a quirk of how Smith's team is mixing the audio, since I hadn't watched that with my new sound system. And while the surround and stereo channels were still a little low, it wasn't distractingly so. So weird.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 28, 2024

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

All TVs gently caress with your audio now and remove entire channels and poo poo. It's hosed up. Try playing in mono and seeing if that helps.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LividLiquid posted:

All TVs gently caress with your audio now and remove entire channels and poo poo. It's hosed up. Try playing in mono and seeing if that helps.

No. It's very specifically this show. I've been playing TV and movies from multiple sources and streaming services (including Netflix) on this system and nothing else has given me this kind of disparate leveling in the audio. Hell, I rewatched the first three John Wick movies again in Netflix, and they sounded loving great.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In any case, I hope this gets another season at least since we're kind of starved for MOTU content at the moment (the CG series got cancelled, I think they might still be shopping around the He-Man movie after the previous deal fell through, and the live action She Ra series that was supposed to be in development for Amazon was first announced about 3 years ago so I'm not sure if that's ever going to happen)

Apparently there was a comic series as well, is that still going/any good?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Larryb posted:

Apparently there was a comic series as well, is that still going/any good?

I haven't read the current "Forge of Destiny". But the miniseries before that was called "Masterverse", and it was... bizarre.

The framing narrative is a discussion between Zodac and the Sorceress, where for some reason Zodac is of the opinion that absolute power corrupts absolutely and He-Man will become a danger to the universe. The Sorceress counters by showing Zodac a glimpse into many alternate realities, all of which prove that He-Man will always be a hero. So far, so flimsy

This leads to a number of wildly disparate short stories such as a slapstick variation drawn by Sergio Aragones, a horror version drawn by Kelley Jones, a noir Sin City pastiche, a cameo from the 1987 movie, a longish section from the CGI show, and a handful more. If this should read like a fun concept, it's not - for me, at least, the story never came together. Maybe I'm cynical, but it felt like a thinly disguised attempt to legitimize the CGI show by including it into some nebulous "multiverse" canon.

Spoilers for the ending: Zodac and the Sorceress get attacked by a version of Modulok, and a "He-Force" team (men, women and a humanoid battle cat who all share He-Man's power) come to their rescue. Zodac sees the error of his ways. This realiziation takes about three panels, and the comic ends in a rather compressed and abrupt manner, as if the writer had run out of pages.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

This seems to be where Revolution talk goes. I liked it a lot, though more in the middle bits than the end. So Kevin Smith, possibly even a little bit more than the last one. A lot of little riffs on Christianity, most of them funny. But not all. That bit with the techno communion wafer struck me as serious. I think I actually did not catch the symbolism the first time through so it took a little while to sink in.

What I want to know for any continuation (hope there is one) is can Keldor run for President of Eternia from inside a prison cell?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I assume this is gettting another season at least provided Netflix doesn’t abruptly cancel it like they did with the CG show

Also the “Despara” name for Adora is something that originated from the comics right?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Onomarchus posted:

This seems to be where Revolution talk goes. I liked it a lot, though more in the middle bits than the end. So Kevin Smith, possibly even a little bit more than the last one. A lot of little riffs on Christianity, most of them funny. But not all. That bit with the techno communion wafer struck me as serious. I think I actually did not catch the symbolism the first time through so it took a little while to sink in.

What I want to know for any continuation (hope there is one) is can Keldor run for President of Eternia from inside a prison cell?

Keldor's gonna be one of those interesting wrinkles for if they get a part 3. Keeping him alive means they've got more planned for him, but WHAT is going to be the big question. A third season is probably very likely at this point seeing as how Revolution spent nearly a week in the Top 10 list on Netflix while Revelation was only there for like two days after its debut. Smith said at ComicCon and in the run up to Revolution dropping that a third season would be in the cards if it did "as well as" Revelation did, and it's already blown past all those metrics.

But then again, it's Netflix and their opaque popularity charts don't mean a drat thing if some secret number in the algorithm flips from zero to one and it tells some accountant to recommend cancelling it to the executive board, so who knows.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I have zero connection with He-Man but gave Revelation 1+2 a shot when they each came out to dunk on chuds and enjoyed myself and thought Revolution was very cool, so instead of diving back into a rewatch I'm giving She-Ra a try instead and most of this first season is pretty brutal but I got the Adora/Catra prom bit and just finished the episode with them trapped in the flashback palace together and am enjoying them thoroughly. Scorpia too. Not loving the other princesses or the very childish misunderstanding/lack-of-communication derived episodes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think shera gets better after the first season

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SPoP is good and I like it way better than the original series (80’s Catra in particular was super irritating to listen to)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

SPoP is good and I like it way better than the original series (80’s Catra in particular was super irritating to listen to)

Part of the problem I think was they reused voice actors a lot to save money so they're desperately trying to find a new tone to speak in.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Part of the problem I think was they reused voice actors a lot to save money so they're desperately trying to find a new tone to speak in.

Yeah, didn't both the original He-Man and She-Ra only have a small pool of VA's between them?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Yeah, didn't both the original He-Man and She-Ra only have a small pool of VA's between them?

That sounds right. Filmation loved to save money and they didn't have the cast of the Hasbro series.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I just had this thought right now: why is he called Skeletor when every part of him except his head is pure muscle? Shouldn't he be Skulletor?

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 11, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gnome de plume posted:

I just had this thought right now: why is he called Skeletor when every part of him except his head is pure muscle? Shouldn't he be Skulletor?
To be fair there's probably a skeleton under that muscle

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gnome de plume posted:

Someone probably called him Skulletor once and he reduced them to a pile of ashes within seconds and no one ever said it to him ever again.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Well he was just a skeleton when he was born. The muscle didn't fill in until he hit puberty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Gnome de plume posted:

Shouldn't he be Skulletor?

How do you know he's not? Among other things. If you read the credits he has a bunch of official names. There can be others. I suspect when on Earth, at least in the 80s, he is known as Coach Pingatore.