Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Despite being such a seemingly affable guy, Kevin Smith's managed to piss off a lot of people over the course of his career: nerds, chuds, the Catholic Church, the westboro baptists(admittedly that's the free square on the bingo card), and Bruce Willis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Despite being such a seemingly affable guy, Kevin Smith's managed to piss off a lot of people over the course of his career: nerds, chuds, the Catholic Church, the westboro baptists(admittedly that's the free square on the bingo card), and Bruce Willis.

A lot of those things are all just the same thing though :v:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

plus he's a Wife Guy, which is always adorable

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

howe_sam posted:

The Willis thing is weird. I'm assuming it was before his dementia but Smith has great stories of Willis and then terrible stories on a different movie.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

The Willis thing is weird. I'm assuming it was before his dementia but Smith has great stories of Willis and then terrible stories on a different movie.

To be fair, Cop Out really was a massive piece of poo poo, and Smith at least owned that one, and what an rear end in a top hat he was to Bruce Willis over it.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Dawgstar posted:

The best story is when Smith received a friendly message from Bruce Willis years after Cop Out and thought "oh, cool, he's talking to me again", only to find out that Willis had gotten his Kevins mixed up and had contacted the wrong guy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So has the Netflix stream that was supposed to give us the first Revolution trailer gone live yet? If so, anybody got a link?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

So has the Netflix stream that was supposed to give us the first Revolution trailer gone live yet? If so, anybody got a link?

https://twitch.tv/netflix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkmv4sTuDcI

It starts in about 20 minutes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And here’s our trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jo2QA_qJBIo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Meh, that wasn't much of a trailer, just a continuation of one of the clips shown at ComicCon. Oh well, at least I got to see two whole episodes of Castlevania I guess...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Revolution synopsis:

quote:

It’s technology versus magic when He-Man and the heroic warriors face the forces of Skeletor and something more in Masters of the Universe: Revolution — the new epic chapter in the battle for Castle Grayskull!

The newly mechanized Skeletor, armed with the might of Motherboard, attacks the heart of Eternia while Prince Adam grapples with a new responsibility and what that means for him as He-Man! Adam is forced to choose between the scepter or the sword, and a life as either the King or the Champion! Meanwhile, the new Sorceress Teela searches for the secret of Snake Magic in the mists of Darksmoke to rebuild a magic realm and help He-Man hold off the greatest threat Eternia has ever faced: the return of the despot Hordak, the ruthless leader of the Horde Empire!

Also if I remember right this series is going to be even shorter than Revelation.

Hope we get some more stuff following this soon since the CG show's been cancelled and the movie's on hiatus at the moment while they shop it around to another studio (there's also rumblings of a live action She-Ra series by Dreamworks but I'm not sure if that ever made it out of the idea phase)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 28, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Revolution drops January 25th:

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/masters-of-the-universe-revolution-release-date-new-skeletor/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And here’s a proper trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6ucJLmGdHVg

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"It's time for a revolution!" Sleketor declares, before immediately getting owned by Motherboard one shot later. Never change, bonehead, never change :allears:

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
I'm still holding out hope for an SPoP epilogue movie or something some day. I wanna see Hordak vibing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lupus Rufus posted:

I'm still holding out hope for an SPoP epilogue movie or something some day. I wanna see Hordak vibing.

Just having to integrate a few thousand very confused Horde clones into Etherian society seems like plenty of material for an epilogue story.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't object to some kinda spinoff. Not sure what.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The day is saved and nobody knows how to be a peacetime leader except perfuma. They face problems that can't be hit with a sword, like how to feed the horde residents without continuing to operate its world eating machinery.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I also wouldn’t mind some kind of SPoP continuation if the cast and crew were up for it (especially since after Revolution comes out we basically have zero MOTU projects left on the horizon besides the toyline)

Speaking of, have any of said crew done anything of particular note since then (I know AJ has her own band, Karen played the lead role in Kipo, and Hordak’s VA was Darius in The Owl House)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 28, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I also wouldn’t mind some kind of SPoP continuation if the cast and crew were up for it (especially since after Revolution comes out we basically have zero MOTU projects left on the horizon besides the toyline)

Speaking of, have any of said crew done anything of particular note since then (I know AJ has her own band, Karen played the lead role in Kipo, and Hordak’s VA was Darius in The Owl House)?

There's potentially two more MOTU projects left in the pipe after Revolution drops: part 3 of the MOTU:R saga, which Kevin Smith seemed to take as almost a given, and the live action He-Man movie that Mattel yanked away from Netflix is now desperately trying to find a real big boy movie studio to shop to now that Barbie made a billion dollars for them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

There's potentially two more MOTU projects left in the pipe after Revolution drops: part 3 of the MOTU:R saga, which Kevin Smith seemed to take as almost a given, and the live action He-Man movie that Mattel yanked away from Netflix is now desperately trying to find a real big boy movie studio to shop to now that Barbie made a billion dollars for them.

I think Dreamworks talked about doing a live action She-Ra series a while back as well but I’m not sure if it’s ever going to happen

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Larryb posted:

Aimee Carrero was in The Menu (movie) and has been palling around with the Critical Role crew primarily, I think.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Revolution trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=H7cxb_khoyM

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Looks fuckin' great.

I wonder why he hasn't been talking about this season nearly as much as he did the last one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Looks fuckin' great.

I wonder why he hasn't been talking about this season nearly as much as he did the last one.

Probably because he's sick of chuds screaming at him in paragraph form before he even finishes typing out the wor "He".

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh, gently caress. You're right. I forgot they dogpiled him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
That said, the season looks like it's going to be amazing. I'm just wondering how they're gonna fit everything into supposedly only 5 episodes though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’ve got some Revolution spoilers from early viewers (none of these are confirmed yet so grain of salt here):

Shatner is voicing Keldor, he tricks Adam into allowing him to releive him of the throne, but then turns into Skeletor (or Skeletech)

There is a post-credits sequence introducing Despera, aka Adora

The last one is particularly interesting as it seems to confirm this and Revelation are not sequels to the OG series but rather another AU that just happens to take place later in the timeline (I just hope that unlike the 2002 and CG shows this one doesn’t get cancelled before it can actually deliver on the Adora promise), though I believe Kevin Smith said at the beginning that this was more of a spiritual sequel than a literal one

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 22, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

We’ve got some Revolution spoilers from early viewers (none of these are confirmed yet so grain of salt here):

Oh thanks, now I don't even have to watch the show at all :thumbsup:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 22, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sorry, I can get rid of it if you prefer (though I’ve heard good things about the show regardless despite it being half the length of its predecessor)

Edit: I compromised and cut it down to just two points

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 22, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, this certainly is a thing that exists:

https://bleedingcool.com/collectibles/mondo-reveals-masters-of-the-universe-1-6-timed-edition-orko-figure/

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

What the gently caress, he has legs?!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tribbledirigible posted:

And a weird goblin face apparently, is that something that’s ever been established before about Trollans?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

And a weird goblin face apparently, is that something that’s ever been established before about Trollans?

Yes. It's based off an old in-house Filmation design sheet for Orko that showed what his face looked liked but never made it into any episodes of either He-Man or She-Ra.

Basically (Filmation) Trollans look like cat goblins.

tribbledirigible posted:

That was one of the best sight gags in the CG He-Man cartoon.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
not my orko

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

tribbledirigible posted:

Not sure how to feel about this.
I could go for some shrivelled vestigial legs (like the Skeksis' useless second set of arms), hidden under his robe and folded under him in a lotus position, but actual working legs don't make sense on the character.

nine-gear crow posted:

That was one of the best sight gags in the CG He-Man cartoon.

Care to explain for those who haven't seen the show?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dave Syndrome posted:

Care to explain for those who haven't seen the show?

In the CG cartoon their version of Orko is a robot who accidentally inherits the memories of the original Orko the Great and starts thinking he's a sorcerer but all his "magical" abilities are just technology (lasers, forcefields, anti-gravity stuff, etc.). So it's a slightly different take on the bumbling magician trope normally associated with Orko. Anyway, near the end of the show the team encounters a problem that can only be solved by real Trollan magic, so Ork-0 sets out to find the real Orko (voiced by Wallace Shawn in a brilliant take on the character) in order to learn magic for real. Near the end of the episode there's a scene where Robo-Orko causes Actual Orko to knock a bunch of poo poo over and bury himself, so he stands up out of the pile on two disturbingly huge legs, gingerly steps to the side and then retracts them back up into his robes again. It's a 2 second shot, but loving hilarious to anyone who's spent more than a second debating whether or not Orko had legs.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Wallace Shawn

OK, that settles it. I'm watching the show!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dave Syndrome posted:

OK, that settles it. I'm watching the show!

The CG show is... eh... mostly fine. It's definitely a kids show, but it's got a lot of charm to it and does enough of its own thing with the established MOTU tropes that it justifies its existence, but I very much prefer the MotU:R-verse in comparison. Shame it didn't get a 4th season, but they wrap up the storyline in a satisfactory way that it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

The CG show is... eh... mostly fine. It's definitely a kids show, but it's got a lot of charm to it and does enough of its own thing with the established MOTU tropes that it justifies its existence, but I very much prefer the MotU:R-verse in comparison. Shame it didn't get a 4th season, but they wrap up the storyline in a satisfactory way that it doesn't matter.

Yeah, honestly if it weren’t for the Hordak reveal at the very end you could have easily made Season 3 the finale. Still a pity the planned 4th season never came to pass though as it promised an Adora/Despera appearance.

Though as mentioned above, the end of Revolution supposedly promises the same thing so hopefully the Kevin Smith show will last long enough to deliver on it (I want more She-Ra damnit).

Smith is a fan of SPoP by his own admission so I’m hoping she’ll have some personality traits from that version, it’d also be cool if they got Aimee back but I’m not holding my breath on that one