Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure the bronies are the ones who complained about the new designs eat back when

I loved the backlash, every time I saw video in my youtube feed complaining out the new look I blocked the whole loving channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I was not loving ready for the D&D episode preview, let alone the actual episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lIsGtaLcrc

Edit: Wow that got taken down right after I linked it. :(

I appreciate the use of the original costumes and music. I can tell that Noelle Stevenson spent a lot of time watching the original series, there tons of easter eggs and a lot of them are really obscure details, Adora's rank of Force Commander is straight from 80's series and used maybe half dozen times. That is some attention to detail.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 2, 2019

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Waffleopolis posted:

I'm really hoping this plot in season 2 leads to some Eternia/He-Man elements. I know they are told not to do so in season 1 but dammit I'd love to see it come into play. :(

If the show goes long enough it is inevitable. No reason to rush it. I think Adora finding and connecting with her family would be a good follow up to Adora resolving her issues with Catra.

Edit: I think its a safe bet to say Light Spiner was part of Eternia's court.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 3, 2019

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
https://twitter.com/HeManOrg/status/1123266365555707904

I would have been very excited about this 20 years ago.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Android Blues posted:

In the old show, Hordak was actually just a backwater colonial governor, and the Horde was a massive intergalactic empire lead by an evil ghost called Horde Prime. Hordak was literally just some schmuck who was failing at keeping a conquered planet under control.

My personal favorite episode of 80's She-Ra is Horde Prime Takes a Holiday. It has Skeletor stealing a spaceship and the most ridiculous displays of She-ra and He-Man's powers.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Android Blues posted:

I love that one too. The whole thing where She-Ra turns her sword into a grappling hook, hurls it into space, and abseils to a spaceship in orbit? It's so ridiculously silly, it's fantastic.

:actually: It was He-Man that brought the grappling hook and threw it into space. She-Ra does turn her sword in to a shield to survive reentry so that was awesome.

The sequence where Skeltor has the spaceships engines going full blast while He-man use brute strength to keep it in orbit is delightful .

side_burned fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 14, 2019

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

twistedmentat posted:

Man, I'd really love a more, i guess adult/modern/decently written He-Man story that leans more heavily on the Science Fantasy of it all. It could be jokey jokes too but treated the whole thing more seriously would be great. A Little more than She-Ra has been doing, but at the same level of gay.

Looking back at my teen years of the one reasons I liked Warhammer 40k is that it scratched my MotU nostalgia itch while being more grown up grimdark.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 22, 2019

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I can't help but think that given Mermista's new attitude, if they ever do a live-action She-Ra movie, Aubrey Plaza would be perfect.

Ehh she already played that character In the Scott Pilgrim movie.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Gaz-L posted:

...Did you miss 7 years of TV?

Yes

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Halloween Jack posted:

Skolidus Eletor.

But in fact, only one Skeletor is fabulous enough for this show.

Frank Langella's Skeltor is best version of the character, its the only time Skeltor has any gravitas, menace or competence. Hell the starting point of the movie is Skeltor won. Shame the rest of the movie is a dumpster fire.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Has anyone brought up that there are official Youtube channels for 80's He-Man and She-RA.

Here's a fun game watch The Secret of the Sword and take a shot every time you recognize something used in the new series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuscDdtxIQs

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Really just seeing He-Man and She-Ra fighting back to back would be awesome.

Ehhh that is questionable.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I liked the 2002 series, goofy but with an actual budget.

Its kind interesting to watch an episode of 80's She-Ra or He-Man while paying close attention to how Filmation went about making a 22 minutes of content while spending as little as possible.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Mordaedil posted:

It's good.

I'm actually surprised about how many things they took from the show, and modernized it thoroughly to feel like its own unique thing.

Noelle Stevenson spent a lot of time watching the original and taking notes. Really minor details from the original make it in, stuff like name dropping Beast Island, or keeping Adora's rank in Hord or that Glimmer teleports. She's to young to have grown up with the show but I get the felling that she devolved a ligament affection for the original series.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 12, 2019

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Elephant Ambush posted:

In the 80s cartoon Perfuma was basically Literally Gaia and single-handedly annihilated the Horde in final season. I don't remember the details but I remember it being pretty hilarious. Hordak got owned by flowers.

Skelator's undoing was the Christamas Spirt.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

The_Doctor posted:

On the one hand I’d say Netflix still hasn’t learnt how to merchandise its shows, but on the other hand, Stranger Things.

When Voltron came out I was shocked that action figures where not going to be out in time for Christmas. How do you not plan a toy launch in time for Christmas when making a Voltron show?

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
If some one gave me a time machine that could only be used to change trivial pop culture stuff I would use it to make Hugo Martin the show runner of the new He-Man series instead of Kevin Smith. Personally, I am not very excited for this project but the voice acting cast is ridiculously stacked, they got big name just to play Skeletor's henchmen. Just look at it:

Chris Wood - Prince Adam / He-Man
Mark Hamill - Skeletor
Sarah Michelle Gellar - Teela
Liam Cunningham - Man-At-Arms
Lena Headey - Evil-Lyn
Diedrich Bader - King Randor and Trap Jaw
Alicia Silverstone - Queen Marlena
Stephen Root - Cringer
Griffin Newman - Orko
Susan Eisenberg - Sorceress
Kevin Michael Richardson - Beast Man
Kevin Conroy - Mer-Man
Henry Rollins - Tri-Klops
Jason Mewes - Stinkor
Alan Oppenheimer - Moss Man
Justin Long - Roboto
Tony Todd - Scare Glow
Phil LaMarr - He-Ro
Cree Summer - Priestess
Harley Quinn Smith - Ileena
Tiffany Smith - Andra

side_burned fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 11, 2020

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
The more I think about the last season of Game of Thrones the more things I find that make confuse me or make me angry. The only other media that has done are the Star Wars prequels.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Pyrotoad posted:

IIRC Glimbow was decided after one of the first script reads for the finale, where either Glimmer or Bow's VA asked if they were dating or not because they couldn't tell, and the response was 'eh why not', so that might factor into it feeling a little quick.

Now I am picturing Karen Fukuhara doing that script read and then later that same day getting emailed a script about clawing her way out of a sperm whale's carcass.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 27, 2020

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Hedrigall posted:

Guarantee none of the mouth-frothing cancel crew on twitter are even out of high school

Honestly, at this point I dislike people complaining about cancel culture more than cancel culture.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Android Blues posted:

Mostly the latter, yeah. Any backlash that existed was fulminated by all the Gamergate comics sites talking about how the wokes were going to remove She-Ra's "sex appeal" (lol).

The chud concern for a 30+ year old IP was loving pathetic.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 8, 2021

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Since this looks like it is going to be focused on Tella and the Sorceress I wonder if they got JM Straczynski to write an episode. He wrote the episode that went into the Sorcesress's back story.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Dawgstar posted:

I still love Battle Cat is thanks to them already having an unrelated tiger toy that would just so happen to be usable as a mount for the line.

"Put a loving saddle on it" is the best line from that show.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 16, 2021

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I don't have Netfix at the moment does Revelation mention She-Ra?

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Azubah posted:

DC published it and it's written by Dan Abnett, it's a fun series.

I mite have to check it that out. I know Abnett has written a lot of 40k stuff and back around 1996 part of what I liked about 40k was that was close to what imagined a grim dark Masters of the Universe would be.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, although it might take some getting used to Teela who spins like a lot of her time in a fur bikini to start and then a metal one.

The franchise has always been Frank Frizta for kids.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
How can there be so many versions of one character that all have terrible haircuts.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Azubah posted:

Wasn't Lyn a clone of Teela or the Sorceress? Originally I mean.

No but Teela and Lyn's action figures where made using the same mold. Effectively they where variants of the same action figure. They did the same thing with Merman and Stinkor.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 28, 2021

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Finally watched Revaluation. Its good. The first episode nails the feeling of dumping out a toy chest and waging epic battels with your action figures. The voice cast is a murders row well cast fan favorites. Casting Sarah Michelle Gellar was deliberate and what Princesses of Power hit a feed back loop with magic school girl anime, Revelation hit a similar loop with chosen one narratives. Other thoughts, who ever was directing Tony Todd asked for Candy Man, cool, and I would like series about king Greyskull fighting a two front war against King Hiss and Horde Prime, Dennis Haysbert was really good and I liked the scenes with him.

edit: Frank Langella is still the best Skelator

side_burned fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 1, 2021

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
That intresting that they got Allen Oppenheimer to attempt the OG Skelator voice. I can see how it would be hard for him to do now. If you want an Oppenheimer performance in his normal voice watch the Star Trek Next Generation episode Rightful Heir, the episode with the clone of Kahless. Oppenheimer plays Koroth the cleric who comes with the ploy of cloning Klingon Jessus.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

moths posted:

That looks very much like a phone game I wouldn't install.

I was thinking a gaming PC with to much RGB.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 19, 2021

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also I bet the way they're gonna set up Season 2/a continuation movie is ending it with Hordak showing up. I'm calling it here.

With Adam getting injured and loosing his sword but magic coming you would figure that the first thing anyone would do is hop in a portal and get Adora.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 23, 2021

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Larryb posted:

Neat, never knew that.

Though then again, I only first got into this franchise last year and have now seen everything except the 80’s originals, New Adventures, and the live action movie. Do those still hold up that well (I remember seeing part of an episode of the former as a kid and not caring for it much)?

Without nostalgia goggles watching the originals mite be kind of of rough. I am not saying there isn't anything to enjoy but they are fundamentally half hour toy commercials. Funimation production where famously cheap and looking for the clever animation and how a core cast of like 6 voice actors can do a cast of thousands is intresting. Actually, the craft of the voice actors is honestly impressive in that each of the core actors is had to do several characters in both the core cast and what ever action figure was being hocked that week; a good example is Alan Oppenheimer who was not only Skelator but also Man at Arms, and Cringer/Battle Cat plus bunch of minor characters like Mossman.

If you want recommendation of episodes: Diamond Ray of Disappearance (this was the pilot), The Problem with Power (general considered the single best episode), Teelas Quest, Teela's Triumph and Origin of the Sorceress (exactly what is says on the tin and written by J. Michael Straczynski). Thinking about those would also be the most important episodes for Masters of the Universe: Revelation.

If you want She-Ra watch The Secret of the Sword .

The live action film was a Cannon films production and mostly takes place in a New Jersey Suburb; Its only saving grace is Frank Langella's performance as Skelator. It is proper fodder for a bad movie night party with friends.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 23, 2021

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Larryb posted:

Thanks. I’m aware that New Adventures arguably changed things up more than SPoP did but would you say it’s worth a watch otherwise?

I honestly don't remember enough of New Adventures of He-Man to say one way or another.

Larryb posted:

At the very least I like that the remakes made Adam a little scrawnier in his normal state as opposed to the original where he’s a beefcake in both forms.

Film,ation had just finished a Captain Marvel series before doing He-Man and the original idea was to have Adam basically be a blond Billy Batson, which exactly what the CGI series is doing, that idea got scrapped to save money. :v:

side_burned fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 23, 2021

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I can not think of the last time when I looked at Rotten Tomatoes and saw the audience score lower than the critics score. MOTUR is the anti Snyder.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Kevin Smith is really incistand about MOTUR being a direct sequal to original series but my head cannon right now is that Revelations is in continuity with Princesses of Power; jock lesbian Adora would balance out twink Adam really well.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, could it be possible to reconcile Adora’s backstory from SPoP with her being Adam’s sister as in the original? If I recall correctly all we really know is that she’s a descendant of the First Ones and Shadow Weaver found her as a baby (though in this continuity “Grayskull” was the name of her predecessor’s squad).

Its doable. In Princesses of Power, Hordak kidnaped Adora when he was testing some portal stuff. As for Mara's back story you could make her relative/descendent of King Greyskul or student/lieutenant who he had lead part of Eternia's population as back up plan in case he lost or Maria's squad just thinking he was cool guy with a cool name.

Like I said it my head cannon until contradicted.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 16, 2021

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

nine-gear crow posted:

it would be pretty neat if everyone had the soft pastel PoP style while they were on Etheria, and the Revelations high-detail style when they were on Eternia.

That would rule.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Watching the last episode again. Sarah Michele Geller really starts channeling Buffy during the sequence with where Teela becomes the Sorceress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Welp tis the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__8AYxrcUJo

edit: Huh second review popped up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFgcr1XKP38

side_burned fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 25, 2021