Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019
I was involved in a game released on Steam called Boss Constructor where the dev was going to run with a suggestion of mine to create enemies that evolved using a GA which you could evolve or let evolve against you as you played. That idea is of perpetual interest to me, but unfortunately it seems very few others really found it interesting and it was ultimately dropped from the game for the most part.

You've got bots in a very few games that use GAs. You've got bots with neural networks in others; these typically don't actually rebalance their nodes during the actual gameplay though, from what I've seen, because such a design requires a large amount of input data to "train" (kinda boggles the mind no one has thought to drop something like this into a game like CS:GO or Fortnite where truly disgusting amounts of input could be had if only you'd share every player's inputs with every other player; would be fun to see if bots could be made to keep up with metas). Finally you've got bots that just do what they're told, perhaps with a little randomness thrown in; the "classical" AI. Not necessarily uninteresting, but usually implemented in uninteresting ways. It's a lot more fun to watch a "simple" AI engage with a complex environment emergently (think ants in Sim Ant or cells in Conway's Life) than it is to watch a complex AI break itself on unforeseen edge cases in a relatively simple environment...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU