Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best?
Kane
Seth
Kane
Frank Klepacki
An Almost-Dead Grenadier
Pistol-Armed Civilian
View Results

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Chronische posted:

That map looks goddamn miserable, especially if they actually send those forces after you to gently caress with you as you build up. At least it doesn't look like they have any kind of production facilities so they can't pump out more but breaking through that defensive line is madness.

Actually being attacked would have at least been interesting. No, its entirely about getting orcas up to level the base to open a path for your commandos. Even my easily amused kid-brain was bored of this map and I replayed c&c to death. And since jobba isn't gonna do it; yes the orcas shoot obelisk lasers. Someone just tweaked the rule.ini to give em lazera instead of missiles. It doesn't take many to overwhelm the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Just watched some guy who never ever shuts up do the mission on a PS1 because I hate myself. Can confirm it is just as tedious as was said.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Wow, that umm, sure is a level alright. Kinda surprised that there is totally zero info on it at all, but I can also see why no one would even bother to have anything to do with this abomination.
Anyway, as for aspect ratio vote, I say Left, slightly less field of view on things but everything looks a lot better.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:goleft:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Right looks est to my eyes.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Right, just to tie it up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Right, just to tie it up.

Right leading by 1 now

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Bury the past, voting Right.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Right is how I remember it looked when I installed it on my ancient Windows 95 computer, so I'm going with that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Looks like I'll be playing the game as per

I'll do something special for those looking for some "classic" aspect ratio though. It will take some time before we get there however, so I apologize for that.

Additionally, each main game is getting a separate thread, mainly to keep clutter down, but also make it easier to archive each game. Should help me focus more on the game at hand as well!

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

Kibayasu posted:

On top of everything else it looks like there's no tiberium tree in that field so you've got limited resources as well.

Maybe this doesn't work like I remember, but as a kid I would build a few cheap vehicles and park them on small patches of tiberium which would spread more on its own and never get harvested.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Will you be playing at the same resolution? I think it would look better if everything was bigger. Doubly so for TS and RA2.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Will you be playing at the same resolution? I think it would look better if everything was bigger. Doubly so for TS and RA2.

I was planning on playing it at the same resolution, yeah. I like the wider view and you dont lose much in terms of definition.

I don't mind going to a lower res if the majority prefer it, but, as a heads up, I may veto that for Tiberian Sun because that game would definitely have had that resolution as a natural thing.

https://strawpoll.com/g42kadak

Voting ends thursday 9pm EST

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

What resolution was this played at, 1280x720?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Unreal_One posted:

What resolution was this played at, 1280x720?

1024x768

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
*checks results*

...looks like lower resolution (800x600) is in the lead...

Why is SA still on the archaic 150kb avatar limit :(

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Stumbled on this thread last night, love it. Tiberian Sun was one of my favorite games of all time so I'm ready to buckle up until then.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It might just be me but since everything has so much more detail I think all the first sequel C&C's look really good in widescreen resolutions.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So you want to play Tiberian Dawn?

There's a few options for you:

Origin (Electronic Arts)

This option is available as part of the Command and Conquer "ULTIMATE" Collection.

Cost: 20$ CAD, when not on sale.

Is it good? Well... its hard to beat getting all of the Command and Conquer games officially, but it does come with a few problems. Firstly, there's a lack of support, as far as I know, and, if your game happens to not like your PC configuration for whatever reason, you won't get to play this game at all. You have access to the expansions, but it lacks the N64 and PSX/Saturn missions/files.

CNCnet.org

A freeware version of Tiberian Dawn, but with *actual* support! The team at CNCnet.org are in the process of creating a service that incorporates all the C&C games up to RA2/Renegade :siren: So be aware there are spoilers involved with visiting that site.

Cost: 0$ CAD, even when on sale.

It comes with a multiplayer service, so you can play TD vs your friends like its 1995! I don't believe I have the latest version, as I'm playing with some frankenstein version that I've... forgotten the origin of. :cripes:

OpenRA.net

A second freeware service offering online and multiple games, and has support! As with CNCnet.org, visiting these may have :siren: Spoilers! so be aware if you choose to visit those sites.

Cost: -0$ JPY

This also has multiplayer, and its only real downside is that it has to compete with CNCnet.org, which has more games and more content. If I remember correctly, OpenRA doesn't have all the scenarios, so... yeah your best bet is CNCnet.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Command and Conquer collection is currently on sale on Origin for $10, FYI.

I know because I just bought it. :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

did I miss the end of the vote? I'm partial to the left side or the originals. Just because I have never played it differently, nor watched footage at different resolutions

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Aces High posted:

did I miss the end of the vote? I'm partial to the left side or the originals. Just because I have never played it differently, nor watched footage at different resolutions

The aspect ratio vote is over, yeah. The resolution vote is still ongoing until Thursday 9pm

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Honestly I have difficulty going back to base TD when the OpenRA version is just so much better features wise - the quality of life tweaks (being able to queue buildings and units in particular) alone make it worth it, but I also think it's significantly better balanced than the original - while it's still possible to play roughly the same way, pretty much all of the units/structures are useful in some way.

There's a couple of changes that I don't like and it doesn't have all the campaign content yet, but it's generally much nicer to play.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Ultimate collection update: getting TS to work out of the box loving sucks but man I got hit hard by nostalgia just hearing [REDACTED]'s voice in the intro cutscene. :allears:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Plek posted:

Actually being attacked would have at least been interesting. No, its entirely about getting orcas up to level the base to open a path for your commandos. Even my easily amused kid-brain was bored of this map and I replayed c&c to death. And since jobba isn't gonna do it; yes the orcas shoot obelisk lasers. Someone just tweaked the rule.ini to give em lazera instead of missiles. It doesn't take many to overwhelm the base.

Orca lasers was a cheat code with the Saturn version, oddly enough.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I feel like I've been reading this LP too much when I start having C&C-referencing/inspired dreams.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Since some of you bought the Origin C&C collection, any tips for running C&C 2 and RA 2 on Windows 10 Pro (if the OS even a problem, but since I can run later games my laptop should be powerful enough far earlier ones). Regardless, any time I try to run them I either don't have video or encounter some error saying I won't have video. I din't try the Origin support yet, but I'll try if needed, of course.

I already verified the files and downloaded the games a bunch of times, with no result.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 9, 2019

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I don't think anyone has mentioned the German version of this game yet! All infantry was replaced by robots. Robot sounds instead of screams, black blood, metal crunch sounds when ran over. Civilians are "farm bots". This gets way more absurd in the next game.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Szurumbur posted:

Since some of you bought the Origin C&C collection, any tips for running C&C 2 and RA 2 on Windows 10 Pro (if the OS even a problem, but since I can run later games my laptop should be powerful enough far earlier ones). Regardless, any time I try to run them I either don't have video or encounter some error saying I won't have video. I din't try the Origin support yet, but I'll try if needed, of course.

I already verified the files and downloaded the games a bunch of times, with no result.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/tiberian-sun-doesn-t-run-on-windows-10/td-p/5373133

I found this after I bought the collection and downloaded all the patches they mention, so far everything seems to be running fine for me on W10

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I never finished Red Alert when I was little (it was hard and also editing in really stupid stuff was fun), so I'm planning to play along with the LP. Are those screenshots an indication of which faction you are playing as first?

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
And here's Funkyfr3sh's updated DDWrapper.

Funkyfr3sh posted:

Here are some example games that should work fine (let me know if you find some others that work as well!)

Command & Conquer Gold
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Carmageddon
Carmageddon 2
Warcraft 2
StarCraft
Diablo 2
Age of Empires
Age of Empires II
Fallout
Theme Hospital
Populous: The Beginning
Outlaws
Dungeon Keeper
Dark Reign: The Future of War
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
Atomic Bomberman
Dune 2000
Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Commandos
Red Baron 3D
F-16 Multirole Fighter
F-22 Raptor
Nox

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Crazy Achmed posted:

I never finished Red Alert when I was little (it was hard and also editing in really stupid stuff was fun), so I'm planning to play along with the LP. Are those screenshots an indication of which faction you are playing as first?

I will be playing the Allied side first.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the Collection on Origin has exciting** bonus content.

** Bonus content is 15 songs, half of which aren't Klepacki titles or of the better ones (sry other artists!) and wallpapers for RA3 and C&C3.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So you're playing the canonical bad guys first, again? Keep it up :ussr:

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Slaan posted:

So you're playing the canonical bad guys first, again? Keep it up :ussr:

But he played GDI second in this thread :confused:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I said CANONICAL, not actual

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that might spark some controversy. For all my rampant Nod apologism I find it really hard to root for the literal USSR.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Allied first huh? Always found their campaign much harder (have some choice words for a certain stumbling block when it shows up) so good luck with em.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I was gonna make a joke about how I was choosing which side based solely on alphabetical order and that GDI's actual title is "Murderers" but that's still before NOD.

Thankfully, they are the Brotherhood of Nod, so it still works :smuggo:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

8 Ball posted:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/tiberian-sun-doesn-t-run-on-windows-10/td-p/5373133

I found this after I bought the collection and downloaded all the patches they mention, so far everything seems to be running fine for me on W10

Thanks for doing the work for me, I hope it works - it's weird how older games work without much problems, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, that might spark some controversy. For all my rampant Nod apologism I find it really hard to root for the literal USSR.

What I'm trying to say here is Full Luxury Gay Bronze Age Cannibalism-powered Communism NOW!