Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
first, second, and third tier debates between 5pm and 10pm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
CNN's candidate promo with the fancy moving light takes 15 minutes to play through

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
surprised the hologram of JFK won't be running

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

logikv9 posted:

CNN's candidate promo with the fancy moving light takes 15 minutes to play through

https://youtu.be/D6AlQiWatD4

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
bernie

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
how is bernie going to win southern primaries

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

cargo cult posted:

probably by getting more votes than the other candidates if i had to guess

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why don't they ever start over in CA? I hate how we are basically the Dems' biggest gun and we're also ignored because we're so late in the primary cycle. Who loving cares what the goddamn South wants? Those states vote for shithead Republicans in the general anyway.

Sorry I know there are Dems/progressives down there too but uh really why do they influence so much of who the Dem candidate will be considering those states nearly always go GOP in the general? I hate the DNC more and more it's just literally a controlled opposition party.

COMRADES has issued a correction as of 20:30 on Nov 26, 2018

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

COMRADES posted:

Why don't they ever start over in CA? I hate how we are basically the Dems' biggest gun and we're also ignored because we're so late in the primary cycle. Who loving cares what the goddamn South wants? Those states vote for shithead Republicans in the general anyway.

iirc this is happening for 2020

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Good then Bernie will win

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gringostar posted:

iirc this is happening for 2020

Correct!

quote:

Mon, Feb 3 Iowa Caucuses Closed
Tue, Feb 11 New Hampshire Mixed
Sat, Feb 22 Nevada Caucus (D) Closed
Sat, Feb 29 South Carolina (D) Open
-
Tue, Mar 3 Alabama Open
Tue, Mar 3 California Mixed
Tue, Mar 3 Massachusetts Mixed
Tue, Mar 3 North Carolina Mixed
Tue, Mar 3 Oklahoma Closed
Tue, Mar 3 Tennessee Open
Tue, Mar 3 Texas Open
Tue, Mar 3 Vermont Open
Tue, Mar 3 Virginia Open
-
Sat, Mar 7 Louisiana Closed
-
Tue, Mar 10 Hawaii Caucus (R) Closed
Tue, Mar 10 Idaho Closed
Tue, Mar 10 Michigan Open
Tue, Mar 10 Mississippi Open
Tue, Mar 10 Missouri Open
Tue, Mar 10 Ohio Mixed
-
Tue, Mar 17 Arizona Closed
Tue, Mar 17 Florida Closed
Tue, Mar 17 Illinois Open
-
Tue, Apr 7 Wisconsin Open
-
Tue, Apr 28 Connecticut Closed
Tue, Apr 28 Delaware Closed
Tue, Apr 28 Maryland Closed
Tue, Apr 28 Pennsylvania Closed
Tue, Apr 28 Rhode Island Mixed
-
Tue, May 5 Indiana Open
-
Tue, May 12 Nebraska (R) Closed
Tue, May 12 West Virginia Mixed
-
Tue, May 19 Arkansas Open
Tue, May 19 Kentucky Closed
Tue, May 19 Oregon Closed
-
Tue, May 26 Washington Caucus (R) Closed
-
Tue, Jun 2 Montana Open
Tue, Jun 2 New Jersey Mixed
Tue, Jun 2 New Mexico Closed
Tue, Jun 2 South Dakota Closed
-
Sun, Jun 7 Puerto Rico (D) Open
-
Tue, Jun 16 Washington, DC (D) Closed

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

cargo cult posted:

does he have to? this is not sarcasm I genuinely don’t know.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

The primary will be proportionally allocated among candidates that get at least 15% of the vote. So there are lots of ways to make the math work where any candidate doesn't need to come first in any of the races in the South to win the nomination.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

yabbut when will cali finish counting? before 3/10?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
if somebody runs away with 60-70% of the vote again then it'll basically be Tough poo poo unless the other candidate can counter that with 60-70% wins somewhere rlse

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
can't wait for another round of pictures of politicans horrifically eating at state fairs

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

Not necessarily no.

It's very possible for Bernie to end Super Tuesday with a majority of delegates without winning any of the southern states. Or even winning the majority of the contests because of a divided field. However not winning outright in the south ups the pressure to do well in California.

My read of the race is that Bernie has three real tests to emerge as the front-runner, and he needs to do two of them to be the true front-runner:

1) Win in Iowa and not get upset in New Hampshire. The definition of "win" in Iowa is gonna be subjective, but at a minimum he needs to come away with the most delegates.

2) Win the majority of the delegates from the Southern states. That doesn't mean winning every state, just beating all of the establishment wing in delegates overall

3) Win outright in California.

There's a variety of goofy scenarios where he might only do one but still be the front-runner because of the clowncar but if he does two, he's in the driver seat, if he does all three the other candidates will start dropping quick.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
if there's still at least two non-sanders candidates in the race after the early states then you can call it right there

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

logikv9 posted:

can't wait for another round of pictures of politicans horrifically eating at state fairs

i hope the slew of ancient monsters has their fixodent ready because they're going to have to gnaw on a lot of overcooked pork chops with a stick stuck thru it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So looking at the early races and cleaning up the formatting from my earlier post....

quote:

[Pledged Delegate Count] (Primary Status)

Mon, Feb 3
Iowa Caucuses[43] (Closed)

Tue, Feb 11
New Hampshire[24] (Mixed)

Sat, Feb 22
Nevada Caucus[35] (Closed)

Sat, Feb 29
South Carolina[53] (Open)

Super Tuesday, Mar 3
Alabama[52] (Open)
California[416] (Mixed)
Massachusetts[92] (Mixed)
North Carolina[110] (Mixed)
Oklahoma[37] (Closed)
Tennessee[64] (Open)
Texas[223] (Open)
Vermont[16] (Open)
Virginia[99] (Open)

The 15% rule combined with the fact that ~65% of the delegates are pledged by CD not statewide vote leads to some fascinating combinations in a wide election.

It is completely possible for the candidate with 30% of the vote to get 60% of the delegates and a candidate with 20% of the vote to get the remaining 40% of the delegates while a whole host of other candidates do better than 10% and get nothing.

Also the California delegate count is massive, since delegate counts are weighted by how Democratic each state is in addition to population.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Trabisnikof posted:

Also the California delegate count is massive, since delegate counts are weighted by how Democratic each state is in addition to population.

lmao, so who is going to be the f. clifton white of 2020

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's gonna be Beto and frankly I'm perfectly okay with that. Make Bernie Senate Majority Leader.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

if bernie doesnt win im voting Susan Sarandon for the Green Party as should everyone in cspam, so thank u for your service

I'll vote PSL thank you

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Found out how theyre gonna ratfuck bernie. They're gonna make him debate at the kiddie table and basically deplatform him and when people call it out theyre gonna invent some dumb metroc whereby he's not good emough to debate a cop or a handsome empty suit from texas

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think it'll be easier than that. Shortly before the voting happens they'll announce a new rule that anyone on there has to have been a registered Democrat for at least a year.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

COMRADES posted:

I think it'll be easier than that. Shortly before the voting happens they'll announce a new rule that anyone on there has to have been a registered Democrat for at least a year.

nah they already added the rule for that

quote:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/25/politics/democrats-superdelegates-voting-changes/index.html

DECLARING YOURSELF DEMOCRAT: Candidates seeking the party's presidential nomination will now have to declare themselves as Democrats in writing to the DNC, a change pointed at Sanders, who is technically an Independent senator that caucuses with the Democrats.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i wasn't paying attention. Bernie??

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Its meaningless lol they can't even make him stay a democrat.

I'd lol if he campaigned for the nomination and, making sure nobody else is in a position to take it and win, declines it like he did the vermont dem nomination

THS
Sep 15, 2017

im dreading these primaries more than anything in the world

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

basic hitler posted:

Its meaningless lol they can't even make him stay a democrat.

I'd lol if he campaigned for the nomination and, making sure nobody else is in a position to take it and win, declines it like he did the vermont dem nomination

I have a suspicion that it might have some bullshit ballot access ramifications.

Instead it's my fervent hope that he wins the nomination and then gets up one stage and says that he's a Democrat and that what he stands for is what Democrats stand for and that he's gonna primary anyone who doesn't get with the program.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

THS posted:

more than ever the psalm of our era rings true: dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Willa Rogers posted:

that list of potential candidates is Succ Succ Succ Goose

This title is really insulting to Klobuchar. Succ Succ Succ Grey Succ, please.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Trabisnikof posted:

more than ever the psalm of our era rings true: dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

wise sentiment

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

THS posted:

same but opposite

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Azathoth posted:

I have a suspicion that it might have some bullshit ballot access ramifications.

Instead it's my fervent hope that he wins the nomination and then gets up one stage and says that he's a Democrat and that what he stands for is what Democrats stand for and that he's gonna primary anyone who doesn't get with the program.

That would rule. If Bernie got noninated and instead of it being a masturbatory coronation where delegates get replaced by actors for being too uppity, he uses it as a platform to sieze the party and loving threaten all the succ thats forced to clap and smile to the sincere cheering adoration of all delegates present

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
and then tehy all stood up and clapped

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dem nominee bernie says that his first action as head of the party is to restucture the dnc and dccc by replacing them with aoc's primary bad dems initiative

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

while the thread title is excellent bernie is specifically associated with hens and not gooses

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's gonna be Beto and frankly I'm perfectly okay with that. Make Bernie Senate Majority Leader.

nice impersonation of a lib OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

Azathoth posted:

this is exactly what happened with republicans becoming a unified party of Trump, and succdems are somehow even more feckless than the republican "moderates", so there might be some hope there