Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

cargo cult posted:

how is bernie going to win southern primaries

does he have to? this is not sarcasm I genuinely don’t know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Azathoth posted:

I've maintained for a while that the best way for Bernie to have a lasting legacy is for him to ostentatiously declare that he is the Democratic Party present and his platform, which is more or less the official 2016 platform, is what Dems stand for now and will stand for in the future.

Basically dare leadership to challenge him. Just lol if you think that Schumer and Pelosi are suddenly gonna grow a spine. Pelosi, if she makes Speaker, is gonna owe it to the progressive caucus and she knows they could take her out whenever. Schumer has no cred with voters and only still has the job because no one else wants to spend the next two years getting clowned on by McConnell.

Bernie's already out stumping for Dems nationwide who run on his platform and has literally nothing to fear.

I wish Bernie was as cool as Corbyn is. :smith:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Azathoth posted:

And seriously, how would kicking Bernie out of the Democratic Party even work? If he holds elected office that is. poo poo, Zell Miller was a GWB cheerleader up until he retired and he was on TV all the drat time with a D next to his name.

Yeah but they don't kick you out of the Democratic Party for liking GWB, ya dingus.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Azathoth posted:

In 2004 "Dubya bad" was literally all the Democrats could muster for a message. He wasn't cheerleading the Iraq War when it was starting up like most Dems, he was cheerleading Dubya after it all went to poo poo when the rest of the Dems had turned on him.

It was a joke about them normalizing GWB.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Stonelegs posted:

nah, I just find it hilarious dudes are flipping tables because their DSA Darling doesn't fully abide by their scripture

I don't really have a hard preference just as long as they are as neoliberal as gently caress

dirtbag centrist for life

lol source your quotes or you’re a huge piece of poo poo.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Stonelegs posted:

first of all I am a huge piece of poo poo

second of all this dude's reaction to the israel poo poo:

sorry you don’t see why people are mad at their supposed representatives sucking up to apartheid states. you indeed are a huge piece of poo poo lol.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

cenotaph posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

you know I appreciate this even tho I’d still never vote for him in a primary lol.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jose posted:

lol name anyone who has a shot in 2020 who isn't disastrous on foreign policy

Barbara Lee. :smug:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Vox Nihili posted:

Would love to hear from you (a moron) about who will be getting the nom.

I believe he is a Basta stan which makes the "Bernie is a known grifter" comment infinitely funnier.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Vox Nihili posted:

Well the good news for Bernie is that he already has name recognition and the ready-built capacity to raise loads of cash for a strong ground game in large states this time around. The other good news is that the first states are still Bernie-friendly and California (which moved up) is at worst Bernie neutral and probably a slightly above-average state for him when you consider places like the South and New Jersey.

The bad news is that potential non-Bernie progressives are probably hosed.

I will say that I'm moderately concerned with the overall performance of Justice Democrats and Our Revolution in the midterms and I wonder what implications this has for the hypothetical Bernie campaign and how it may decide to organize, etc. Of course, the nature of Bernie's fundraising/organizing campaign is not exactly clear to me since he has kept that information to himself, which I mean hey more power to him.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Azathoth posted:

Our Revolution is a shitshow and I wouldn't read too much into how their candidates performed because they didn't appear to do actual vetting beyond their policy questionnaire. My personal favorite example is their endorsement of a loving former ICE employee for the open seat in MN08. I don't believe their endorsement means anything because they don't do meaningful vetting.

Well right, my concern is that this kind of sloppy organization might apply to Bernie's campaign come 2020, and how he decides who to endorse for downticket, etc. It's just one of those things that worries me but is also unclear to me.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

THS posted:

from what i remember as soon as our revolution began, most of the original staff immediately resigned over some dispute (dont remember why) and so they were pretty much gutted of experienced talent from the start

Ouch. Was this the thing over Weaver? Or am I misremembering? I thought that was a thing in early 2017.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jose posted:

who is weaver?

iirc he was Bernie's campaign manager in 2016 and is generally regarded as a mixed bag, possibly made questionable decision and apparently no one likes working with him.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Weaver being potentially good at his job and someone people don’t like working with aren’t mutually exclusive concepts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I mean firing a bunch of your staff without notice seems like pretty lovely practice, especially for the campaign of a pro-labor politician. I’d like to see a citation tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Azathoth posted:

I'd like to know more about the expectation of campaign temp workers before I judge Weaver on that.

I managed a rotating cast of seasonal workers for years and very little notice was pretty much the norm. Folks in that position know the assignment is ending at some point and while there's no excuse for workers to hear it from the news rather than their boss, I don't know that what happened outside of the expectations that were set.

I mean yeah but also the way workers are treated in America is poo poo and if politicians are going to run on “workers deserve better” they should practice what they preach.

It’s not a dealbreaker to me but it goes in the “that is disappointing and lovely” bucket. People who are part of the campaign are your most motivated and dedicated supporters, you can’t treat them like poo poo.