Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Al! posted:

why is eric holder putting his name in the hat

who the gently caress is even eric holder to anyone except a guy obama hired because he did such a good job legally protecting latin american anti-union death squads

Because there's no way to campaign for cabinet posts in a new administration and Holder clearly wants back into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

He's been laying low recently, I figure he's gonna try for Markey's Senate seat once he retires before trying to jump into the presidency.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

does he have to? this is not sarcasm I genuinely don’t know.

Not necessarily no.

It's very possible for Bernie to end Super Tuesday with a majority of delegates without winning any of the southern states. Or even winning the majority of the contests because of a divided field. However not winning outright in the south ups the pressure to do well in California.

My read of the race is that Bernie has three real tests to emerge as the front-runner, and he needs to do two of them to be the true front-runner:

1) Win in Iowa and not get upset in New Hampshire. The definition of "win" in Iowa is gonna be subjective, but at a minimum he needs to come away with the most delegates.

2) Win the majority of the delegates from the Southern states. That doesn't mean winning every state, just beating all of the establishment wing in delegates overall

3) Win outright in California.

There's a variety of goofy scenarios where he might only do one but still be the front-runner because of the clowncar but if he does two, he's in the driver seat, if he does all three the other candidates will start dropping quick.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

basic hitler posted:

Its meaningless lol they can't even make him stay a democrat.

I'd lol if he campaigned for the nomination and, making sure nobody else is in a position to take it and win, declines it like he did the vermont dem nomination

I have a suspicion that it might have some bullshit ballot access ramifications.

Instead it's my fervent hope that he wins the nomination and then gets up one stage and says that he's a Democrat and that what he stands for is what Democrats stand for and that he's gonna primary anyone who doesn't get with the program.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

basic hitler posted:

That would rule. If Bernie got noninated and instead of it being a masturbatory coronation where delegates get replaced by actors for being too uppity, he uses it as a platform to sieze the party and loving threaten all the succ thats forced to clap and smile to the sincere cheering adoration of all delegates present

I've maintained for a while that the best way for Bernie to have a lasting legacy is for him to ostentatiously declare that he is the Democratic Party present and his platform, which is more or less the official 2016 platform, is what Dems stand for now and will stand for in the future.

Basically dare leadership to challenge him. Just lol if you think that Schumer and Pelosi are suddenly gonna grow a spine. Pelosi, if she makes Speaker, is gonna owe it to the progressive caucus and she knows they could take her out whenever. Schumer has no cred with voters and only still has the job because no one else wants to spend the next two years getting clowned on by McConnell.

Bernie's already out stumping for Dems nationwide who run on his platform and has literally nothing to fear.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah but theyre doing it really badly and have gotten nowhere

And seriously, how would kicking Bernie out of the Democratic Party even work? If he holds elected office that is. poo poo, Zell Miller was a GWB cheerleader up until he retired and he was on TV all the drat time with a D next to his name.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah but they don't kick you out of the Democratic Party for liking GWB, ya dingus.

In 2004 "Dubya bad" was literally all the Democrats could muster for a message. He wasn't cheerleading the Iraq War when it was starting up like most Dems, he was cheerleading Dubya after it all went to poo poo when the rest of the Dems had turned on him.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

It was a joke about them normalizing GWB.

:sweatdrop:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

comedyblissoption posted:

the dnc can unilaterally decide that a candidate is sufficiently not democratic enough and not allow candidates like sanders to run in the presidential primaries. i doubt they would press that nuclear button for bernie but would do so for future bernie-like candidates

This would be about as politically viable as reinstating the draft or bombing Canada, so what I guess I'm saying is that there's only a decent chance of it happening.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Finicums Wake posted:

as soon as people bother to look into biden's 'accomplishments,' like, say, how he helped end desegregation, perpetuate mass incarceration, or 'reform' consumer bankruptcy law, his polling numbers are gonna tank. plus, his role in the anita hill hearings wont be so easily overlooked in a post metoo world.

2016 was the last year biden couldve made it through a dem primary, but because he's loving stupid he's going to run anyways. i'm looking forward to watching him get owned

Yeah, I've said before and I'll say again, Biden is this cycle's Jeb! He's gonna get a bunch of early endorsements from big names, he's gonna fundraise really well, media will talk about how he's the front-runner, then when folks actually start voting in primaries and caucuses, it'll be painfully obvious that the base no longer wants what he's selling. Oh, and he's gonna stick around way too long and by the end, it's gonna look really sad (if you're not in student loan hell because of that shitbird, at least).

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Stonelegs posted:

my bad dawg I meant to say something angry about capitalism please let me back in to the smart club

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i feel like someone opened up a tomb and the ghost of something awful 2003 flew out to post this

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Typo posted:

atm a Democratic dog ( a literal dog) is prob 40-50% to win vs any Republican incl Trump, a republican dog is prob 40%-50 to win against any democrat in a national election

Dems would nominate one of those crazy purebreds that people only ever see in online videos but makes a cute bark, Republicans would nominate a German Shepherd named Reagan trained to go for the throat of anyone with a press pass.

Reagan would serve two terms and retire with 70%+ approval ratings.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

apparently kasich said he might try and primary trump

if he does he is going to lose even worse than he did in 2016

Kasich is just continuing to play the long game. He's banking that, just like at the end of the Dubya years, the GOP will be desperate for a new leader not tainted by the previous administration, and an unsuccessful primary bid lets him fundraise like a madman ahead of his inevitable 2028 run.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

when are these fuckers going to announce already

It'll be the spring at the earliest for serious candidates.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

really queer Christmas posted:

pass a law that the bush name gets stricken from history

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

flipflopper

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Kamala: I'm going to run for president.
Kamala's husband: ...
Kamala: ...
Kamala: ...if you don't say "ok", we're getting a divorce.
Kamala: ...
Kamala's husband: *weakly* ok...

Kamala in January: After much soul searching and with the enthusiastic support of my family, I have decided that I will run for president.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

He's Jeb!ing as hard as he can

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

bawfuls posted:

Right, but it is incredibly difficult to build a significant ground game in places like CA and TX if you're starting from minimal name recognition in a crowded field.

I had forgotten about the proportional delegate rules on the Dem side, that does change the calculus somewhat.

Any kind of proportional delegate allocation favors well known, well funded candidates who have the time and ability to build out a nationwide network well before campaigns "officially" start.

I wouldn't say it's strictly impossible for an unknown to win under Dem rules, but it would require both a crowded field and for whoever is the front-runner at the start to fade away by the end, negating whatever advantage they had in early delegates.

Bernie in 2016 is a good example. He didn't really contest a number of states on Super Tuesday because by the time he made the transition from his attempt to draw attention to issues to trying to win the whole thing, it was too late to build out that winning network that Hillary had spent years constructing.

I think the irony of the rules is that for all the harm they did him in 2016, they'll actually be favorable to him in 2020.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

I will say that I'm moderately concerned with the overall performance of Justice Democrats and Our Revolution in the midterms and I wonder what implications this has for the hypothetical Bernie campaign and how it may decide to organize, etc. Of course, the nature of Bernie's fundraising/organizing campaign is not exactly clear to me since he has kept that information to himself, which I mean hey more power to him.

Our Revolution is a shitshow and I wouldn't read too much into how their candidates performed because they didn't appear to do actual vetting beyond their policy questionnaire. My personal favorite example is their endorsement of a loving former ICE employee for the open seat in MN08. I don't believe their endorsement means anything because they don't do meaningful vetting.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'd like to know more about the expectation of campaign temp workers before I judge Weaver on that.

I managed a rotating cast of seasonal workers for years and very little notice was pretty much the norm. Folks in that position know the assignment is ending at some point and while there's no excuse for workers to hear it from the news rather than their boss, I don't know that what happened outside of the expectations that were set.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Themage posted:

as long as the ritual stones arent destroyed klobuchar should be safely contained in the great lakes region

*people in all over the eastern seaboard spontaneously begin referring to casserole as hot dish*

oh...oh no...

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Feldegast42 posted:

If the DNC are going to make sure the multiple tier debates are "random" most likely they will make sure that the establishment picks are in one debate while Bernie is in the other one, to make sure Bloomberg, Biden and Beto get top billing and to prevent Bernie from going Super Saiyan on Bloomberg

Basically Bernie will be isolated as much as they can get him since they obviously (and with good reason) see him as a threat to establishment power

Have they made noise about doing this? As much as they want to ratfuck Bernie, they want to consolidate around a single candidate just as bad, and while random draw would potentially hurt Bernie, it would be worse for whittling down the field to their "acceptable" candidates.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

No, they'll have one big clowncar debate because it's good TV once then have heavy cutoffs to force a reduction in the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

There's still plenty to criticize about Weaver. With Bernie's stature coming into 2020 I genuinely believe he can do better, and it sounds like many activists would be more enthusiastic about joining with Weaver out of the picture.

I mean, Clinton's campaign was an historic failure, yes, but we can do better than "not Clinton's people lol" in terms of expertise.
Let me preface this by saying that I'm all in for Bernie.

The founding of Our Revolution tells all everyone needs to know about Weaver and how far Bernie is willing to go to keep him around.

The majority of the staff up and quit when Weaver was announced as the boss. It's hard to say exactly what Bernie promised them, but they all clearly hated Weaver and had some kind of assurance, if not an outright promise, that he wouldn't be involved. Then, surprise! Guess who your new boss is?

The most charitable reading is that Bernie led them on before making a final decision, and those staffers read too much into it, but it's frankly obvious that Bernie pulled a bait and switch to get Weaver in charge with the hope that the staff wouldn't revolt and that when faced with said revolt, he chose Weaver over those staff members.

I don't have any inside line on this, but expecting him to replace Weaver is, to put it mildly, unlikely.