Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

cargo cult posted:

how is bernie going to win southern primaries

probably by getting more votes than the other candidates if i had to guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gringostar posted:

iirc this is happening for 2020

Correct!

quote:

Mon, Feb 3 Iowa Caucuses Closed
Tue, Feb 11 New Hampshire Mixed
Sat, Feb 22 Nevada Caucus (D) Closed
Sat, Feb 29 South Carolina (D) Open
-
Tue, Mar 3 Alabama Open
Tue, Mar 3 California Mixed
Tue, Mar 3 Massachusetts Mixed
Tue, Mar 3 North Carolina Mixed
Tue, Mar 3 Oklahoma Closed
Tue, Mar 3 Tennessee Open
Tue, Mar 3 Texas Open
Tue, Mar 3 Vermont Open
Tue, Mar 3 Virginia Open
-
Sat, Mar 7 Louisiana Closed
-
Tue, Mar 10 Hawaii Caucus (R) Closed
Tue, Mar 10 Idaho Closed
Tue, Mar 10 Michigan Open
Tue, Mar 10 Mississippi Open
Tue, Mar 10 Missouri Open
Tue, Mar 10 Ohio Mixed
-
Tue, Mar 17 Arizona Closed
Tue, Mar 17 Florida Closed
Tue, Mar 17 Illinois Open
-
Tue, Apr 7 Wisconsin Open
-
Tue, Apr 28 Connecticut Closed
Tue, Apr 28 Delaware Closed
Tue, Apr 28 Maryland Closed
Tue, Apr 28 Pennsylvania Closed
Tue, Apr 28 Rhode Island Mixed
-
Tue, May 5 Indiana Open
-
Tue, May 12 Nebraska (R) Closed
Tue, May 12 West Virginia Mixed
-
Tue, May 19 Arkansas Open
Tue, May 19 Kentucky Closed
Tue, May 19 Oregon Closed
-
Tue, May 26 Washington Caucus (R) Closed
-
Tue, Jun 2 Montana Open
Tue, Jun 2 New Jersey Mixed
Tue, Jun 2 New Mexico Closed
Tue, Jun 2 South Dakota Closed
-
Sun, Jun 7 Puerto Rico (D) Open
-
Tue, Jun 16 Washington, DC (D) Closed

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

does he have to? this is not sarcasm I genuinely don’t know.

The primary will be proportionally allocated among candidates that get at least 15% of the vote. So there are lots of ways to make the math work where any candidate doesn't need to come first in any of the races in the South to win the nomination.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So looking at the early races and cleaning up the formatting from my earlier post....

quote:

[Pledged Delegate Count] (Primary Status)

Mon, Feb 3
Iowa Caucuses[43] (Closed)

Tue, Feb 11
New Hampshire[24] (Mixed)

Sat, Feb 22
Nevada Caucus[35] (Closed)

Sat, Feb 29
South Carolina[53] (Open)

Super Tuesday, Mar 3
Alabama[52] (Open)
California[416] (Mixed)
Massachusetts[92] (Mixed)
North Carolina[110] (Mixed)
Oklahoma[37] (Closed)
Tennessee[64] (Open)
Texas[223] (Open)
Vermont[16] (Open)
Virginia[99] (Open)

The 15% rule combined with the fact that ~65% of the delegates are pledged by CD not statewide vote leads to some fascinating combinations in a wide election.

It is completely possible for the candidate with 30% of the vote to get 60% of the delegates and a candidate with 20% of the vote to get the remaining 40% of the delegates while a whole host of other candidates do better than 10% and get nothing.

Also the California delegate count is massive, since delegate counts are weighted by how Democratic each state is in addition to population.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

COMRADES posted:

I think it'll be easier than that. Shortly before the voting happens they'll announce a new rule that anyone on there has to have been a registered Democrat for at least a year.

nah they already added the rule for that

quote:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/25/politics/democrats-superdelegates-voting-changes/index.html

DECLARING YOURSELF DEMOCRAT: Candidates seeking the party's presidential nomination will now have to declare themselves as Democrats in writing to the DNC, a change pointed at Sanders, who is technically an Independent senator that caucuses with the Democrats.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

THS posted:

im dreading these primaries more than anything in the world

more than ever the psalm of our era rings true: dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

the dnc can unilaterally decide that a candidate is sufficiently not democratic enough and not allow candidates like sanders to run in the presidential primaries. i doubt they would press that nuclear button for bernie but would do so for future bernie-like candidates

Either Bernie wins or someone more leftist wins (lol) or else it doesn’t really matter what the dnc does in 2022+

it owns (us)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bawfuls posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think it'll be virtually impossible for an unknown/longshot to win the nomination. The reason for this is a combination of a large field at the start, and the changes to the primary schedule.

Specifically, CA and TX are both on Super Tuesday now. These are physically large states with very large delegate counts. The winner(s) of those primaries will be very well positioned going forward. But campaigning in those states will be expensive, which will stand as a barrier to long-shot candidates and likely deplete the war-chests of anyone without a strong initial following. On top of that, CA has so many vote-by-mail voters that you can't just start campaigning there after IA/NH/NV/SC.

The conventional path for a relative unknown or longshot candidate to win, by winning early in IA/NH and building momentum after that, is derailed by the expensive necessity to win in CA and TX early. Maybe someone could do it if they sweep or win at least three of those first four contests, but in a crowded field that is extremely unlikely.

For these reasons, I don't see how anyone aside from Bernie/Biden/Beto/Harris wins. Bernie and Biden have the anti-establishment/establishment frontrunner status, Beto and Harris have home field advantage for TX/CA.

An important rule to consider is a large chunk of delegates are allocated by congressional district not at the state level.

I think there is only one way for an outsider candidate to overcome the media cost disadvantage you outline, the ground game. Volunteers that are enthusiastic and dedicated combined with a campaign aggressively seeking “earned media” can more than overcome the money advantage of more establishment candidates.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bawfuls posted:

Right, but it is incredibly difficult to build a significant ground game in places like CA and TX if you're starting from minimal name recognition in a crowded field.

I had forgotten about the proportional delegate rules on the Dem side, that does change the calculus somewhat.

Sure but candidates can get name recognition without money if the campaign is focused around “earning media” through aggressive local campaigning and bold & impactful campaign planks.

Another thing to consider is California gets almost 2x what Texas gets due to allocation based on democratic voters. It’s possible to run a campaign in only SF, LA, DFW, and Houston and come away with half the delegates from the two states even if you don’t win them both outright.

I agree the campaigns are hella weighted towards the establishment but I also think this whole politicial system is so loving fragile anyone with actual politics could crash through any barriers like a goon through cake.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

signing the petition to rename this thread: 2020 Democratic Primary Succ Succ Succ Gray Succ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yeah it was easier to make fun of weaver as "lol comic books guy" before the utter embarrassment of the Hillary generation election campaign at the hands of the most insider political operatives possible