Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

cool desktop

what is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

cool. glad we could get to the bottom of this one

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

so is NASA running old Sun hardware still or buying Oracle?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

shame if true

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that's an oddly specific dream

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Poniard posted:

life is but a dream

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

in space no one can hear that the sound doesn't work

funny story, but this is true, we’ve been promised microphones on mars for decades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrxCJPQE1gk

but they just can’t get it right

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

send a tech out to work on it, duh

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i wonder if you could simulate an apollo or space shuttle mission on your PC with mainframe emulation using the actual mission control software, if you were able to get your hands on the software. i suppose you'd have to also simulate incoming telemetry for the system to process... wonder what the format was for the telemetry data coming in.

i know there's a full emulator of the apollo guidance computer and software for it.

there is a plug-in for Orbiter (a space flight simulator) that lets you use said emulator to recreate Apollo missions down to the minute, from the capsule side at least

there’s also a YouTube channel (lunarmodule5) that does this and syncs it up to the actual mission control audio loops & available footage

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

really any actual difficulty arising from this sort of thing is more an indictment of the shortsightedness of software backwards compatibility than it is an indictment of the engineers at e.g. nasa or cern

not that it seems they have any real trouble, they have their emulators and specific distros, it is just important to remember that it likely makes all kinds of sense in reality to take that route than the average programmer, with a deprecate-and-forget attitude, will by habit think. software compatibility is good and not that expensive, it just annoys pampered coders working on it

I compiled a directx 5? demo on my win2k box and I was able to run it without modification on my modern win10 pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTys3VzCe7o

cool presentation about the mars curiosity OS

• Locked thread