Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I paid full price for the deluxe preorder of JC4 (and JC3). If they made a JC5, I would also pay full price for the deluxe preorder. More of the same is fine to me, it is still good at what it was always good at and just flying around in the wingsuit is always fun even if you don't fire a single shot the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

can we? what is the A team doing? Rage 2 looks terrible and Generation Zero is... ok but definitely still very unfinished and buggy. is there some secret Actually Good Game that they are hiding away working on all this time?

:thejoke:

They’ve homogenized mediocrity. ‘Course, I hated the original Rage, so I wasn’t going to get caught like that. But Just Cause 4 got me, and it was still the fumes of JC2 making me believe that they’d recapture that lightning in a bottle, rather than bear down heavily on the things that made JC3 so depressing. At least we don’t have QTEs.

Avalanche is dead to me.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Indiana_Krom posted:

I paid full price for the deluxe preorder of JC4 (and JC3). If they made a JC5, I would also pay full price for the deluxe preorder. More of the same is fine to me, it is still good at what it was always good at and just flying around in the wingsuit is always fun even if you don't fire a single shot the whole time.

this game completely bombed, there will never be a jc5. there prolly won't even be an avalanche much longer, for that matter, since rage 2 didn't do very well either.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!
Gravy Boat 2k
JC3's rough launch should have given them a heads up to what their audience didn't care for.

Either they structurally couldn't adjust to better deliver games or they just weren't paying attention. It's really frustrating, cause you've got these games that have some awesome parts but the overall sum is underwhelming or buggy.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hav posted:

:thejoke:

They’ve homogenized mediocrity. ‘Course, I hated the original Rage, so I wasn’t going to get caught like that. But Just Cause 4 got me, and it was still the fumes of JC2 making me believe that they’d recapture that lightning in a bottle, rather than bear down heavily on the things that made JC3 so depressing. At least we don’t have QTEs.

Avalanche is dead to me.

Generation Zero actually has some promise. it also has some serious problems, some of which they have fixed and some of which persist, but of all their recent games its definitely the only one that has anything interesting going for it. of course part of the interesting aspect of it is the art direction which they completely ripped off from Simon Stålenhag without any credit, so that sucks

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Earwicker posted:

Generation Zero actually has some promise. it also has some serious problems, some of which they have fixed and some of which persist, but of all their recent games its definitely the only one that has anything interesting going for it. of course part of the interesting aspect of it is the art direction which they completely ripped off from Simon Stålenhag without any credit, so that sucks

Wait that game isn't based on that IP?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bgreman posted:

Wait that game isn't based on that IP?

yeah i had originally made the same assumption then read that the artist said "no they never even talked to me about this game and its weird" and then Avalanche put out a statement saying "the game is unequivically not based on his work nor influenced by it at all"

whats even weirder is that stålenhag and the avalanche guys live in the same town and know each other. and the game looks exactly like his art

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 30, 2019

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Earwicker posted:

yeah i had originally made the same assumption then read that the artist said "no they never even talked to me about this game and its weird" and then Avalanche put out a statement saying "the game is unequivically not based on his work nor influenced by it at all"

whats even weirder is that stålenhag and the avalanche guys live in the same town and know each other. and the game looks exactly like his art

I don't know what Swedish copyright law is like but :drat:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Shinjobi posted:

JC3's rough launch should have given them a heads up to what their audience didn't care for.

Either they structurally couldn't adjust to better deliver games or they just weren't paying attention. It's really frustrating, cause you've got these games that have some awesome parts but the overall sum is underwhelming or buggy.

They obviously don't play their own games or look at how others play their games. If they did they wouldn't have made it so annoying to play and so hard to unlock all the fun toys that people actually want. Nobody plays JC games for the missions/story, it's all about the loving around with the cool stuff which JC2 had in spades. The small islands with the jet-boat parked nearby so you could do crazy jumps. The huge airport with constantly circling airplanes. The desert off-road track with jumps and poo poo. The ski-resort. The bayou area with the speedboats....And remember how military airports had planes constantly taking off and landing, in JC4 they don't do that at all. The mile high club which was actually a mile high club and just not a tiny building thrown up on a mountainside.

It's just so weird, just spending a couple of hours playing their own game would have made all these problems obvious. Unless they had their own heads so far up their asses that they really thought their missions and story was fun/good.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I played Just Cause 2 again for the first time in ages last month and it has a ton of the same issues the rest of the franchise had like the dull mission design and some even worse ones in terms of Rico's handling and the grappling hook, they've barely improved on the franchise since then. People are nostalgic for it because it came out back when massive open world games weren't everywhere like nowadays.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Oh I think part of it is due to nostalgia but there are many things that JC2 does better.

It has a proper big city.

There are thousands of hidden collectibles to collect that slowly upgrade your weapon/vehicles encouraging you to explore.

It has more clever side missions like the thunder island (you'll know what I mean)

More unique locations like SKULL MOUNTAIN ISLAND.

The missions are just more memorable like the grapple onto a missile or the nuclear submarine in the ice lake.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I actually like the third one the most of all of them, with my biggest complaint being the northern half of the island / game being very lifeless and empty. I really loved the flying my wingsuit around the southern costal cities and enjoying how colorful and beautiful they all were. I also didn't mind any of the minigames and liked the upgrade system they had there. The wingsuit one in particular was good because it gave me reasons to engage with the wingsuit mechanics more and improve my skill with it. I remember being extremely confused by 4 stripping them down to just three circles in a straight line. I think 4's version of having multiple profiles to switch between would've been a smart addition if it wasn't so poorly implemented. Maybe I'm just dumb as hell but I never felt like I managed to get a feel for the difference between the different activation methods. It all felt very unnatural to me.

I liked the characters in the JC3, and I would've enjoyed spending more time with them in some more missions. Mario is a cool guy and a good dancer and I wanna chill with him more.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

JC2 was good because it came out before open world fatigue had set in, introduced us to fun grappling hook movement and it unintentionally spent a lot of extra time in the oven so it came out with a whole bunch of extra "stuff" (unique locations, easter eggs etc) in the game world. You obviously couldn't just retread that game again let alone 2 times with worse missions and less stuff and have it be as big of a hit again.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

They should've just added spider-man swinging to the game along with the other movement stuff. Just give me more ways to move around the world in a fun way.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I really thought grapple swinging was the next logical step for JC but it hasn't happened, it's still that boring rigid rappel in a straight line grappling hook.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's like they don't really get why these games are fun.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Deakul posted:

I really thought grapple swinging was the next logical step for JC but it hasn't happened, it's still that boring rigid rappel in a straight line grappling hook.

yeah but then that would require actually crafting levels and not just putting red shiny blowyupobjects clustered on the map.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You guys are making me want a 3d bionic commando.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hey, great news, they made two

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Ineffiable posted:

You guys are making me want a 3d bionic commando.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/21670/Bionic_Commando/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7raG5kxg_t8

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Finally, after nearly nine years, I completed Just Cause 2. Every single chaos object, challenge, and collectible, over 105 hours.

Just installed Just Cause 3 to do the same thing again because I am broken inside.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Indeed! There's a sickness inside you that you'll never be able to cure! :)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I found screwing around in 3 more fun than 2.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

I found screwing around in 3 more fun than 2.

Even in my thirty minutes with 3 earlier, things feel weightier and the shooting feels better. The explosions are incredible by comparison and that's really what I'm here for.

Doesn't hurt that the graphics in general are better, but it's still an old enough game that my relatively modern build can play with no sweat.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

bgreman posted:

Even in my thirty minutes with 3 earlier, things feel weightier and the shooting feels better. The explosions are incredible by comparison and that's really what I'm here for.

Doesn't hurt that the graphics in general are better, but it's still an old enough game that my relatively modern build can play with no sweat.

Go find the trains on the north island.

And remember bridges can be blown up.

I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

More thoughts: loading times are crap, cars handle better than 2 but still terrible, flying is awesome because they give you rudder controls, planes and helicopters in general are more maneuverable, the wingsuit is amazing. I could spend all day just gliding around. Wish the slingsuit upgrade didn't require so many gears.

I like the map design way better so far, but I heard the big island is a lot more sparse than the starting ones.

Edit: I was going to complain about the unskippable intro, but the second time in I realized it's a loading screen and the main menu is basically "live."

bgreman fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 10, 2019

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Yeah the loading times in JC3 are pretty bad, even on my 9900k/32gb ram/970 pro 1 TB SSD. Just Cause 4 doesn't have that problem though, it loads insanely fast (like faster than JC2 even). There is a modded DLL you can put in JC4 that gives you a console that lets you run some basic commands and spawn in stuff, but it also has a feature that skips the initial loading screens and menus and just dumps you straight into the world at your last save point. I think its like literally like 3 or 4 seconds from pushing launch to being in control of Rico if you use that DLL mod.

The trick to making JC2 load really fast was to install the mods that disable all the black market transition stuff and then run the menus at a high/uncapped framerate so all the canned menu animations take up less time. If you vsync JC2 to 60 Hz it literally takes like 8 times longer to load anything because its all held up waiting for the menu animations to finish.

In terms of content, JC2 still basically destroys 3 and 4. You just have to look at the JC2 save game viewer on a new game to see. JC2 has over 2800 collectables and 3500 chaos objects, its probably like 5 times more than 3 and 4 put together for poo poo to blow up. No matter where you go in JC2, there's something to blow up and that isn't even counting the half a billion red barrels. 3 and 4 have vastly superior world map designs that are roughly the same geographic size, but they both have less stuff in them.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

part of the problem with 3 is that it introduced a bunch of useless online poo poo. an actual multiplayer JC game would be fun but i dont give a poo poo how long some rando flew around in the wingsuit, that crap is a waste of resources and clutters up the screen

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Earwicker posted:

part of the problem with 3 is that it introduced a bunch of useless online poo poo. an actual multiplayer JC game would be fun but i dont give a poo poo how long some rando flew around in the wingsuit, that crap is a waste of resources and clutters up the screen

I actually kinda like the feature since it seems to be limited to just my Steam friends, but now I'm at the top for all of them so I don't really need to see it every time.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Wingsuiting is nice. Even with JC4, which I don't like at all, I still load up here and there and then just wingsuit around the landscape.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Indiana_Krom posted:

In terms of content, JC2 still basically destroys 3 and 4. You just have to look at the JC2 save game viewer on a new game to see. JC2 has over 2800 collectables and 3500 chaos objects, its probably like 5 times more than 3 and 4 put together for poo poo to blow up. No matter where you go in JC2, there's something to blow up and that isn't even counting the half a billion red barrels. 3 and 4 have vastly superior world map designs that are roughly the same geographic size, but they both have less stuff in them.

Frankly I'm fine with not having to hunt down 2700 flashing boxes because I can't NOT do that if they're in the game.

Also something nice is that it's way easier to chain explosions together in this one. Blowing something up in JC2 didn't do enough collateral damage to other explodables to get that chain going, and that's been one of the most satisfying things in tackling settlements so far.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

There is a mod that gets rid of the intro for JC3

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Am I the only one who compulsively called General Ravelli, General Ravioli in JC3? Just wondering.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I frequently forgot that dude had a name he fades into the background so much.

I don't think the collectibles in JC2 give the game an edge over 3, because they are pretty meaningless and a big hassle. Good riddance.

Edit: Getting the bomber in 3 is rad as hell because some settlements can be cleared with a single well placed bomb cluster. On replays of it I make a beeline for unlocking the settlement that spawns bombers and then just carpetbomb the entire country to ash.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

In case anyone is wondering (probably not) the new DLC is really really bad too. It comes with some sort of just-okay crossbow which I think needs ammo from the aliens so is useless elswhere (then again, most weapons are after ammo depleted so whatever) and makes the worst of the tether mechanics as a main gimmick. There are bubbles all over the map where you have to do the same poo poo. Destroy 3 alien things, then peel the egg, then destroy it. In the meantime you're surrounded by flying insects which sometimes carry soldiers which then shoot at you while also the actual soldier are shooting at you and then there are kamikaze insects. It's an unfun mess of bullshit. I did 2 of them and then finally uninstalled the game.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

haldolium posted:

In case anyone is wondering (probably not) the new DLC is really really bad too. It comes with some sort of just-okay crossbow which I think needs ammo from the aliens so is useless elswhere (then again, most weapons are after ammo depleted so whatever) and makes the worst of the tether mechanics as a main gimmick. There are bubbles all over the map where you have to do the same poo poo. Destroy 3 alien things, then peel the egg, then destroy it. In the meantime you're surrounded by flying insects which sometimes carry soldiers which then shoot at you while also the actual soldier are shooting at you and then there are kamikaze insects. It's an unfun mess of bullshit. I did 2 of them and then finally uninstalled the game.

Thanks for the warning, won't bother trying it. It's like they are actively trying to make the most irritating "gameplay" possible.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

haldolium posted:

Jesus christ, they really well and truly have no drat clue what their fans like at all.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

based on the way they've responded to the issues with generation zero, which is somehow even worse than the way they dealt with this game, i think they are just aggressively bad at making video games and even worse at dealing with customer/user issues. which sucks because they do have some good ideas and ip.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Don't play this.
Get Earth Defense Force 5 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This has now been rebranded as JC4: Reloaded.

The complete package is around $13.

At this point I'll probably buy it just to mess around. Can anyone confirm they patched most of the issues?
I'm assuming not.