Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Two questions:
Why come I don't get a jetpack
Where does Rico get his swarthiness in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Calaveron posted:

Two questions:

You can get a jet pack on the wingsuit. It also gets machine guns and rockets. Its loving dope.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
Rico never needed a jetpack before. There were always plenty of gas cylinders lying around...

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Calaveron posted:

Two questions:

you don't need a jetpack when you can attach thrusters and balloons to a tank and make a flying tank

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

It was just more of the same from JC2. I think it gets a bad rap because the quality jump from 1 to 2 was ENORMOUS but from 2 to 3 they mostly just added the boosters, wing suit and a new sandbox.

It's kinda like Far Cry in that sense. The base game doesn't change that much, they just throw more and more toys at you to gently caress around with.

The thing that I felt was a step backwards was that when you would ghost ride a vehicle in JC2 you could climb ALL over it and that allowed for some really cool stuff especially when doing tricks and stunts. In JC3 you could just "stand" at a couple different parts of the vehicle and it just didn't feel as good. I'm really curious about what's new in JC4

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
Are there any videos of frontline gameplay? For some reason I was thinking about the first Mercenaries game by LucasArts on the PS2 and found that this title's "frontlines" concept sounded really similar. Thing is, I can only find short clips showing battle and one video from FunHaus where they focus more on the flying tank than the battle itself so that video isn't much help.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pre-load is available on PC.

I've seen that if you have preordered you can start playing on 12/3.
I sure hope that's true because I have Monday and Tuesday off.

edit: Oh it's for the deluxe+ versions.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 1, 2018

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Indiana_Krom posted:

Steam tells me:
Just Cause: You have played 66 hours.
Just Cause 2: You have played 805 hours.
Just Cause 3: You have played 258 hours.

In JC2, I tend to hop in a car and just cruise around, or sometimes I hop in a decent off road vehicle and just go "exploring", which mostly amounts to seeing just how much terrain I can navigate before said vehicle explodes.
In JC3 I launch the game, hit play, and just wingsuit around the map and don't actually do anything else because with the sole exception of flying around with the wingsuit, every aspect of gameplay in JC3 is inferior to JC2.

I think I remember the developers saying they were trying to give the players more freedom and tools in JC3 than were in JC2, but the way they implemented everything took most of it away. Like in JC2 you can use any vehicle in a race, and you can switch vehicles mid-race, in JC3 you can only use the starting vehicle. JC2 actually takes it a step further even, the tutorial claims there are land, sea, air, and parachute races, but there are actually only TWO kinds of race in JC2: vehicle and non-vehicle, the game does not distinguish between vehicle types. Its the kind of thing that really makes JC2 stand out, it doesn't care if its an airplane race checkpoint over the top of a mountain peak, if you can somehow ride a boat through the ring it it still counts! Some of my best record times in car or sea races in JC2 are because I spawned an airplane and did the race in that instead.

The big problem with vehicle handling in JC3 was because the game is all next gen, they put a lot of effort into making sure Rico was smoothly animated and as a result slaved all the vehicle steering to the animations which induces a significant lag. It is especially noticeable in motorcycles while using a digital input like a keyboard, press left to turn left, then right to turn right, and see that it takes something like half a second for the motorcycle to actually start turning because it takes that long for Rico to lean the other way, which is why you always feel drunk when driving a motorcycle in JC3.

And then there was combat in JC3, it was tedious and difficult, JC2 had a massively forgiving auto-aim even on the PC which actually worked fine because you're supposed to be this unstoppable badass agent of chaos and mowing down enemies being a piece of cake worked with the backstory. In JC3 the auto-aim is pretty much gone, enemies are tiny and are ridiculous bullet sponges, but worst of all was the spawning behavior. The enemies are computationally taxing enough that they had to control how many there were and keep them from spawning too far away, so as a result they always spawned very near Rico but out of sight, meaning right behind the camera. And there was no dodge/roll button that made enemies miss like in JC2, so within seconds of beginning combat on the ground in JC3, you end up being shot at from mostly directions you cannot see by bullets you cannot dodge and then after emptying your clip into the one enemy in front of you he acts mildly annoyed and calls for backup. JC2 spawned enemies in a truck made out of cardboard, tape, and a large quantity of nitroglycerin about 1 KM away on the nearest road and forced them to drive to your location at high speeds so you could shoot out one of the tires and watch it roll and explode in a very satisfying fashion.

Very much my exact problems with Just Cause 3 as well. If you do end up buying 4 I would very much appreciate your thoughts.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Wasn't a whole bunch of that a result of Avalanche's A team doing Mad Max and having some B team do JC3?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Wasn't a whole bunch of that a result of Avalanche's A team doing Mad Max and having some B team do JC3?

i remember hearing that, and Mad Max actually had really good driving and was imo a p decent and underrated open world game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
mad max was dreary trash with exceptionally good sound design

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

InsertPotPun posted:

Very much my exact problems with Just Cause 3 as well. If you do end up buying 4 I would very much appreciate your thoughts.
Oh even as much as I complained, I pre-ordered it as soon as it went live. Like I said, I tend to just fly around with the wing suit in 3, so as long as that still works the same I'll be happy just having that much more and varied terrain to fly around. That, and when it comes to open world games I frequently have more money than brains.
Also Steam was in pretty rare form yesterday:

Mad Max vehicle combat is pretty good, definitely better than anything in Just Cause. Unfortunately there isn't much of it left by the time you get all the vehicle upgrades and there is barely any post-story content with no way of respawning the really fun parts.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also extremely firm disagree on the merits of just cause 2 vs 3's combat

JC2 had some of the worst open-world combat i've ever experienced because enemies just never stopped spawning and rico was incredibly fragile even on easy mode, so if you actually indulged in any sort of mayhem you had an endless conga line of furious Bollywood helicopters on your rear end until you wound up respawing. never a moment of silence or peace

in JC3 rico is borderline indestructible and enemy spawns stop once you clear out an area, which made the gameplay loop tremendously more relaxing and enjoyable

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Oxxidation posted:

also extremely firm disagree on the merits of just cause 2 vs 3's combat

JC2 had some of the worst open-world combat i've ever experienced because enemies just never stopped spawning and rico was incredibly fragile even on easy mode, so if you actually indulged in any sort of mayhem you had an endless conga line of furious Bollywood helicopters on your rear end until you wound up respawing. never a moment of silence or peace

in JC3 rico is borderline indestructible and enemy spawns stop once you clear out an area, which made the gameplay loop tremendously more relaxing and enjoyable

Some of the mods I have permanently applied to JC2 may be clouding my judgement there a little... I'm pretty sure they included a modified set of spawn parameters so I wasn't always having to deal with 3 helicopters at a time (spaced the choppers out a little more), and being outright invincible probably helps too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Some of the mods I have permanently applied to JC2 may be clouding my judgement there a little... I'm pretty sure they included a modified set of spawn parameters so I wasn't always having to deal with 3 helicopters at a time (spaced the choppers out a little more), and being outright invincible probably helps too.

in JC3 i could one-shot helis by tethering them to the earth and cackling madly as they smashed into the nearest solid thing, which was better than any of JC2 mods i installed

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It's me
I'm the loving idiot that preordered the gold editon even after I hated JC3.

Cuz I wanna get thrown around in a tornado.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i will pick it up this week if i have a chance. it looks like it could be fun, just hope the reviews are good.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Oxxidation posted:

in JC3 i could one-shot helis by tethering them to the earth and cackling madly as they smashed into the nearest solid thing, which was better than any of JC2 mods i installed

Yea JC2 really shone when Bolopatch was working, which had like, super strong, super long tethers, unlimited tether numbers and god mode, which actually fit really well with the endless hordes of soldiers and the fun of ragdolling down montains

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Oxxidation posted:

mad max was dreary trash with exceptionally good sound design

I disagree.

Mad Max was fun but suffered from having to do the same poo poo over and over again, and the story was kind of poo poo. The mechanics it were based on were very solid though. Chasing down convoys in the car was awesome and it had a melee system that worked far better than most 3rd person open world games.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Indiana_Krom posted:

The enemies are computationally taxing enough that they had to control how many there were and keep them from spawning too far away, so as a result they always spawned very near Rico but out of sight, meaning right behind the camera.
I never had any issues with guards spawning behind me or in places I'd already cleared, and if I stood on massively distant hills/cliffs/towers/tree tops I could see guards from miles away and take like 90% of the base out, but then I was possibly playing it 'wrong'. The game played quite well if you played it that way in a stealth/methodical style, keeping out of sight and taking on the stragglers in manageable groups, and it performed 10x better that way too.

Police stations were a different story though.

What made the enemies poo poo was that they were generally oblivious to everything around them if they were more than 100m or so away. Also the reinforcement timer ticked down way too fast and the reinforcements showed up way too quickly.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm not sure that they know what 24 hour early access actually is when it comes to the PC. :sigh:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Yeah looks like PC boys got biffed again! Still excited for this poo poo.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The longer this thread can go without a bunch of people complaining the game doesn't run on their elite gaming pc the better.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Also, one of my favorite things from JC2 was shooting my grapple at guys in guard towers and yanking them out of the towers to plummet to their deaths. In 3 it pulls Rico up to the guy to drop kick him instead, which is nowhere near as fun especially since it doesn't even kick him out of the tower.

Another relatively minor gripe is that they replaced the badass grapple whip melee attack from 2 with a zero range elbow bash in 3. It feels like they purposely went backwards in that area and I have no idea why.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI71cI8JKpY

This video confirms that you get boosters right away and start with 10!

Also, I didn't realize how customizable all your gadgets are this time.
This is going to create a lot of fun clips on YouTube, I bet.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Inzombiac posted:

Get hyped for the ramp truck drops!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9msYWFG32w

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, also being able to place them with the grapple instead of having to plant them is a great change.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

game is looking a lot more like 2 than 3 with some cool new stuff, i am excited for it

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Earwicker posted:

game is looking a lot more like 2 than 3 with some cool new stuff, i am excited for it

It certainly does!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oh hey, was looking for this thread. I enjoyed JC1 despite its buggy, here's-some-concepts-we-can't-realise-yet nature, and absolutely adored and played the everloving bejeezus out of Just Cause 2. Just Cause 3? Oh, god. I'm not often massively disappointed with games and can generally find things to like but JC3 was an exception. I kind of wrote off JC4 when it was announced because of it, but having watched some of the latest videos I'm looking forward to it again.

Just Cause 2 loving nailed the feeling of just letting you go apeshit in a videogame world that is still stunningly diverse and beautiful. Yeah, the AI is shaky, missions are simplistic and a lot of it is making your own fun, but god was it fun to hoon around the desert on a dune buggy jumping onto the roof to shoot down helicopters mid-jump or coasting down a mountainside on the edge of a jeep. The mods for that game were just fantastic - dual weilding LMGs while flying through the air like an airplane, catching up to jets and grappling them to other vehicles. Great stuff. It still looks gorgeous even today, ran beautifully at the time, the world is packed with easter eggs, mysteries and cool little details and the destruction is top-notch. The DLC was also great fun, I loved all the vehicle and weapon packs.

Just Cause 3? I upgraded my computer specifically because my old rig just couldn't hack it. When I got in? The wingsuit is a good and fun addition but holy hell did they ever poo poo the bed on what made the core gameplay experience fun in the second game. While the landscape still looked nice there was hardly any diversity to the biomes, no giant urban area to gently caress around in, all the cool gadgets were gated behind a godawful progression system that forgot what made the first so much fun (Your toolset was fairly limited, but powerful enough that you could be really creative with it). There were a few neat concepts and ideas such as car hops and booster mines but they completely hosed the vehicle handling which wasn't all that great to begin with but still fun in an action movie way, and all of the interesting additions felt clunky and unweildy. Coupled with godawful load times and hysterically poor performance even on a rig that by all rights should've crushed it, I didn't get far in the story and didn't play much of it.

I know that JC2 was made by the Avalanche A-Team and JC3 was made by the B-Team, and I think 4 is A-Team again since for JC3 they were working on Mad Max (Which turned out to be way more fun and satisfying than JC3 - If you missed Avalanche's style of carefree mayhem you should give it a look)

I'm torn between preordering and waiting for impressions to come in. The thing is, people have never really been that hype for Just Cause - it's always been a sort of rough diamond which rewards creativity and tolerance for jank while never pretending to be anything other than a crazy fun time, and in a day of polish and "content" by way of padding it doesn't quite fit in - so I'm fully expecting for people to not really see the appeal again. If the game can come close to how fun JC2 was, I think it has a chance to be a surprise GOTY -- but I don't want to be crushed again with how much I couldn't face JC3.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Songbearer posted:

I know that JC2 was made by the Avalanche A-Team and JC3 was made by the B-Team, and I think 4 is A-Team again since for JC3 they were working on Mad Max (Which turned out to be way more fun and satisfying than JC3 - If you missed Avalanche's style of carefree mayhem you should give it a look)

A-Team (Stockholm) is working on RAGE 2, B-Team (New York) is doing JC4.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Well, here's hoping they learned some valuable lessons. A lot of the footage I've seen from trailers and sponsored videos have looked very promising - I really hope they can do the series justice.

E: gently caress it, put down my pre-order. GMG has it at £35 which is downright affordable in the age of £50+ games.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 3, 2018

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I still liked JC3 well enough for the wing suit and setting off spectacular chain explosions. But you reminded me why I disliked the surface vehicles, its because all the cars and boats are extremely "floaty" if there was a word for it. Basically the problem is once a car leaves the ground, it seems like its completely impossible to get it back on to it. I could more reliably stick a landing in a JC2 car despite not being able to control the pitch and yaw in flight like you can in JC3. Like the hardest part of a boat race challenge in JC3 is just keeping the boat in contact with the water, since the waves are all huge ramps and the boats take a week to fall back after flying off one. Same problem in car races, you can get up to speed and then hit a pebble on the side of the road and suddenly you're on the moon instead of earth and it takes the car 6 times longer to return to the ground. Pretty much all the surface vehicles just felt way too weightless and ridged, they just bounce off of the smallest things and then bunny hop halfway across the island like skipping a rock on water before finally recovering traction.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I only played JC3 with the Jetpack DLC and it was infinitely more fun than the base game. Here's hoping there's something similar in 4.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the only good surface vehicle added in JC3 was the trains. not that you could drive them, but it was definitely fun to blow up bridges while trains were passing over them

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Earwicker posted:

the only good surface vehicle added in JC3 was the trains. not that you could drive them, but it was definitely fun to blow up bridges while trains were passing over them

The loving Mechs were sweet too. Chugging down the road ruining everyones day

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

So far, it’s pretty okay. The mission structure feels a little disjointed, but the other JCs were like that too. Physics are on point and they give you your tools fast so it’s still a great fuckin’ around simulator.

Performance is good on my XBONE-X but the image quality and overall presentation has definitely been toned down to make it perform consistently. Some points where it looks kinda ugly. Explosions look good, though!

Anyway, it very much feels like they decided to focus in on what people like about these games (fuckin’ around with physics, blowing poo poo up) and made sure that stuff works well. They’re not pushing the envelope or improving things that the other JCs kinda lacked in, though, so I don’t think this game will change your mind if you weren’t already into the series.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I like the idea that there's just going to be a specific area where poo poo is always popping off so if you want to be in the middle of a warzone, you can just keep fighting as much as you like. If this game is good we're going to have some wonderful youtube reels and webms to look at.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

How's the vehicle physics? They were horrible to the point of being useless in JC3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Deakul posted:

How's the vehicle physics? They were horrible to the point of being useless in JC3.

A little better in that they’re at least functional, but no, the driving model is still pretty bad.

But at least it’s bad in a mostly funny way now, as opposed to JC3 which was mostly just non-functional