Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Deakul posted:

How's the vehicle physics? They were horrible to the point of being useless in JC3.

If you like turning every vehicle into an airship you're going to love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm with y'all in that 2 was transcendent dumb fun and 3 had too much holding it back. I have 2 installed on my MOST POWERFUL GAME CONSOLE EVER just to gently caress around with and it still feels and plays well. Hoping that this does well and is good.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bogart posted:

I'm with y'all in that 2 was transcendent dumb fun and 3 had too much holding it back. I have 2 installed on my MOST POWERFUL GAME CONSOLE EVER just to gently caress around with and it still feels and plays well. Hoping that this does well and is good.

considering the complete dearth of hype surrounding this release i am worried it's going to totally bomb regardless of quality

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Fair, but these games never get hyped. I'm thinking maybe they're trying a more streamer-influencer approach to it rather than trying to woo the standard gaming press. Like, I like RTGaming a lot, but he's by no means mainstream.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I think that the nature of highlight videos and gameplay will lend itself more to a streamer/webm slow burn type of promotion like bread simulator or goat simulator. People see some streamer crashing a flying boat into a blimp and want to have a crack.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The subreddit is pretty much up in flames right now because the game either got seriously bugged or the devs massively downgraded the graphics engine on consoles to the point of looking worse than JC3.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Deakul posted:

The subreddit is pretty much up in flames right now because the game either got seriously bugged or the devs massively downgraded the graphics engine on consoles to the point of looking worse than JC3.

I’m pretty sure they aggressively downgraded it to avoid performance issues.

The good news is that the frame rate stays solid no matter how much poo poo is popping off. I think the game could probably look a lot better than it does on X and still achieve that, so either their engine is just really bad, or they didn’t want to spend time/money optimizing for console.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Just played this game for 30 minutes on an Xbox One X and all I have to say is: MY EYES
The blur is insane, it causes my eyes to try to re-focus constantly causing severe strain. It doesn't even look like motion blur, it's like the screen is just covered in Vaseline.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
In the modern era of 4-6 weeks of heavy post-release patching including frequent day 1 patches I kind of expect there to be lots of bugs, glitches, crashes, and general errata. No game world or engine survives first contact with the players without sustaining significant damage.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Played a bit last nite. Performance was fine (didn't really stress it, I think), driving was fine. I ran into some early mission bugs (first retractor mission and another where I had to snipe from rooftops but no enemies were marked). The graphics were...not good. Like the textures just didn't want to load in high res so a lot of my field of view was just low res textures.

That said, I imagine the bugs will be fixed and maybe the graphics later. Whichever way, so far I'm enjoying it.

e: one of my bigger gripes are the lack of distance measurement on waypoints and being unable to zoom out more on the map. i'd say that's a good sign!

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 3, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I heard the gameplay was worse that the older games. Apparently having fun and blowing poo poo up is now counterproductive in missions, because they're tightly timed and exploding poo poo takes precious time. Base clearing is also gone. I don't see that forward getting home and firing it up.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

>Base clearing is also gone

If you mean that scavenger hunt bullshit then thank god, I hated that poo poo.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Just got through the first set of tutorial missions, it looks ok. No detectable hitches in performance; fairly steady around 100 FPS.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Wowie, my game unlock must be really bugged.

Missing tons of sound effects and half the controls don't seem to even work, couldn't even go back into the options menu once I got ingame.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Verify your files. Happened to me on a different preload.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yeah, that did it.

Jesus, this game is ugly.
They really couldn't figure out how to optimize the engine without just straight downgrading everything, eh? That's depressing, it's about on par with JC2 graphically.

The texture filtering and AA is pretty much non-existent what the hell... this has to be a bug, it didn't look this bad in any of the streams I saw.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bully, that's one less purchase i can make this month

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I am thinking see kind of bug for the visuals, too. It's really strange.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yeah, this poo poo looks like it's 10 years old.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is that on console or PC?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

PC.

Maxed out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Haha, yikes!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Seriously, if this is what's intended to look like maxed out then... :barf: I don't think that I can deal with this unless it gets fixed, it's actually making my eyes hurt with how jagged everything is and how blurry everything is.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oh boy :gonk:

I thought y'all were talking about the console release but that's PC? Holy crap. Yeah, that has to be a bug or a driver thing. The pre-release footage hasn't looked that garbo - they'd have to be trying!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Looks like this will be another $30 game just in time for Christmas!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How the gently caress is it worse than an older game of theirs? This gotta be a bug.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Songbearer posted:

Oh boy :gonk:

I thought y'all were talking about the console release but that's PC? Holy crap. Yeah, that has to be a bug or a driver thing. The pre-release footage hasn't looked that garbo - they'd have to be trying!

Yeah, I reinstalled my drivers completely just in case it was on my end but nope.
I want to say that it's not actually applying any of the graphical settings, this looks like it's permanently stuck on low.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I somehow circumvented steams pre-load lockout for JC4. Not really sure how though.

I pre-loaded it on one computer. Then transferred the depotcache files to a second computer to avoid another 50g of downloads. It had about 300mb it wanted to download so I let it. Then I noticed it didn't say pre-load complete, so I hit play and it started the decryption. Once that was done it loaded right up. Can't figure out how to get it to work on the first comp though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well, I'm gonna pray for a day-one patch.

gently caress.

twitch and spasm
Jul 21, 2010
I think it is a bug, A couple streams I've watched have looked noticeably better than that.

Deakul posted:

Seriously, if this is what's intended to look like maxed out then... :barf: I don't think that I can deal with this unless it gets fixed, it's actually making my eyes hurt with how jagged everything is and how blurry everything is.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The graphics really look like poo poo. Is there any antialiasing? And the pop-in is very 2004.
The fullton balloons look like a ton of fun though, I'll probably grab this after Christmas.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

twitch and spasm posted:

I think it is a bug, A couple streams I've watched have looked noticeably better than that.

It has to be. None of the preview videos look near this bad.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
There has to be some kind of bug with the bluring, I'm pretty sure it's not intended to look like this (the same thing happens when you are in a speedboat): https://xboxclips.com/tjiev/5c49187b-82a5-4967-b598-52477e084b1a

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I mean it's not the point at all but is there any word about the story not being completely bland and boring for the first time ever? I can remember a grand total of one good Just Cause mission ever (the missile silo mission in 2)

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

The Walrus posted:

I mean it's not the point at all but is there any word about the story not being completely bland and boring for the first time ever? I can remember a grand total of one good Just Cause mission ever (the missile silo mission in 2)

The story is extremely stupid and they really went Full Retard on everything I've seen so far. The story is there so they have excuses to put all the stuff in the game. They wanted a map with cool weather so they built a super stupid story around it. The protagonists are over the top evil/stupid and just there so you can hate them. It's like they still don't get what made JC2 fun, it wasn't the loving story missions that's for sure but they are really doubling down on the "stupid" story but as they say, you do not go full retard maaan.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Who cares about graphics? Are the enemies still god-like bullet sponges who can hit you from waaaaaaay far away? Are you still constantly being shot so standing still for 5 seconds is a death sentence? Can you actually use a helicopter without it being blown up by constantly spawning rocket launcher guys and/or AA guns that rocket you down with half a second warning? Can I drive for 5 seconds before ROCKETING my car over a cliff by accident or have each and every constantly spawning enemy vehicle always outrunning any vehicle and flawlessly ramming the front making escape all but impossible? Can I derail a train or tie balloons to it? Is it playable and fun?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Inzombiac posted:

It has to be. None of the preview videos look near this bad.

I am noticing the prerendered cutscenes are ghastly but actual in game it looks like the digital foundry footage. What graphics card are you on, I'm running a rtx2070.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Well the new GeForce drivers with optimizations for JC4 just dropped so maybe that be part of the problem? Maybe? Hopefully?

Really just want to wingsuit everywhere with the grapple. No jetpacks for me, just the wind at my back, 60's spider-man webbing on my arms and a deadly unbreakable grappling hook forever.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I was hoping this would run at 60fps on gods own all in one entertainment center console the xbox one entertainment center x scoprio edition but it sounds like it's locked at 30 :( Oh well, maybe at least they'll allow for mouse support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I haven’t seen many reviews on it yet outside polygon and they arnt finished yet. They seem mixed on it gameplay wise and I looks like they barely fixed the main mission structure from 3 but more linear and a ton of timed poo poo. Normally that wouldn’t mean poo poo but apparently a ton of poo poo is locked behind region conquest.