Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh cool this started. Personally I'm going to use my own rules for qualifying titles which are a bit more strict - I only count games that were released this year, and if they're remakes I can't have played the original. So Radiant Historia and TWEWY are invalid for me, but Spyro could be included (it won't be).

I do have 3 more potential games that I might get to that might make my list but I may still put up a preliminary list later today and edit it if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

First some Honorable Mentions:

Subnautica – Great game with extremely cool environments. I loved exploring and building better ships, although I didn’t get much into the base building aspect. The numerous animals were fun to observe and examine and I really liked the mysterious story that you uncover by diving deep into the depths of the ocean. However it misses out on my top 10 list because of its abysmal technical issues.
Iconoclasts – Very good metroidvania with a moving and fairly bleak story.
The Fall 2: Unbound – Viva la robolution
The Messenger – Last game I played in 2018 and allllmost makes the list. It’s a really cool platformer that turns into a metroidvania. Has some cool bosses but is overall a bit easy for my tastes.

And now, my top 10 games of 2018, that all came out in 2018 as God intended:

10. Thronebreaker – I didn’t have much interest in the standalone Gwent multiplayer game when they announced it, so I’m really glad they ended up making a companion singleplayer campaign mode. The story was up to Witcher 3 level of quality and the revamp to the Gwent gameplay worked well to support a whole game.

9. God of War – Never played any of the oldere God of War games but I got this for my birthday and really enjoyed it. Combat was very satisfying and the story and characters were both gripping. I look forward to the sequel.

8. Wandersong – A big surprise, I bought this game on a whim not knowing much about it. The lil bard won my heart as he kept trying to save a world that didn’t want anything to do with him. His relationship with Miriam was probably the best part of the game, though I also loved his interactions with Audrey the Hero who just couldn’t be made to see things other than the simple black and white ideas she had about what her duty was.

7. Yakuza Kiwami 2 –Finally, a Yakuza I played at release! It’s my second favorite so far after 0. I wasn’t a huge fan at first of the new combat engine, but I got used to it over time. I didn’t like the Majima Construction minigame, but was very glad to see the Cabaret club make a return. The main story was excellent and the substories were as funny as ever. Now I wait patiently for the 3, 4, and 5 remasters to come here before I finally can play 6.

6. Valkyria Chronicles 4 – I only played VC1 a couple years back when it came to PC, so I didn’t have as agonizingly long a wait for a second good VC game. Still, I’m glad it finally came. The new units really added to the depth of strategy and I liked their solutions for boss fights a lot better than in the first game. In general there’s a lot more map variety as well, and the addition of the giant battleship was cool. Story was good as well, fuckin United States and their weapons of mass destruction.

5. La Mulana 2 – The La Mulana games are truly like nothing else out there. Getting to play this one on release and solving puzzles in cooperation with other people online was incredibly fun.

4. Monster Hunter World – The huge praise Monster Hunter gets has always intrigued me but every demo I’ve played convinced me the series just wasn’t for me. This finally changed with World which I was convinced to buy with reassurances that it would be way more accessible. And it was true. You still need to watch weapon videos to understand how to use them to their fullest extent, but otherwise everything is very self explanatory and the game was completely engrossing. I still don’t have the desire to keep grinding things and playing multiplayer forever like some do, but I got what I wanted out of it and look forward to the expansion. I wish this carried over to liking other MH games, but I tried the GU demo and I just can’t deal with the clunkiness.

3. Return of the Obra Dinn – This is one of the most brilliant puzzle/mystery games I’ve ever played. The way the game gives you a set of tools and then pushes you out into the ship was invigorating. Every deduction is up to your own powers of observation and memory. It never leads you towards anything or prompts you to give the right answer. Nothing feels as satisfying as seeing the screen go black and pop up with “Well done. Three more fates correct.” I’d say I want more but I don’t know how this feat could be repeated!

2. Celeste – This game blew me away. I bought it because it looked like a cool platformer but I had no idea how amazing it would be. Its mechanics are so much fun and its difficulty curve is perfect. The main levels can be beaten with persistence, the strawberries require a bit more skill, and then the B and C sides push you to your very limits of your platforming skill. I managed to do everything there was to do in the end but it was grueling and I loved it. The story was moving as well. This stayed as the number 1 on my list for over half the year, and I thought it couldn’t be toppled, until I played…

1. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Well this is simply one of the best RPGs I’ve ever played. The combat and character building are so well executed. Bosses are quite challenging and require you to plan your party well. The story is great and every character is a lot of fun both to play as and as part of the story. I’ve only played 2 other dragon quests before this one (4 and 8) and this is definitely my favorite, edging out 8 by a fair margin. My favorite thing about the game is how there are 3 major plot events that dramatically change the state of the world, and every single city and character in the game is strongly affected by them. Going around the world after each of these and seeing what’s different is incredibly cool, and reminds me of some of my favorite games of all time – the Trails series. Well done Dragon Quest.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

hosed up that DQ 11 missed the top 10 but I'm satisfied* with that list. Especially now that I've played Spider-Man.

My only real surprise is how low VC4 scored.

*Assassin's Creed aside smh