Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

This could change if I buy and/or get through anything new in December (just got Hitman 2 and Astro Bot), but as of right now here's what I got:

#1: Bloodborne

This took three years of off and on play. First brick wall was the Shadows of Yharnam. Was stuck on those a couple months. Then it was Rom for almost a year. Finally when I broke through that I managed to finish the game shortly after this past January. Then I immediately played through the game again and beat it in a week. Excellent and deeply rewarding to master. Hunter's axe rules.

#2: Monster Hunter World

I played 4U before this one and had a great time but this definitely feels like they ironed a lot of the kinks out while putting the monsters and environments on a system that could really do em justice. Being able to have running battles with a fire breathing T. Rex without having to sit through any black screens is greatly appreciated. Like Bloodborne it's super rewarding to learn the monsters and your weapon and nothing feels quite like it. Also with this and BotW I'm really into this trend of putting delicious food and cooking more at the forefront. Give me a minigame where I can play as the chef cat and run a kitchen.

#3: Into the Breach

I've always had an interest in tactics games and RTSs but I've been complete dogshit at them. I'll do fine in the tutorial levels but once it gets out of baby mode I constantly gently caress up. By telegraphing everything the enemy does, I was able to do well in Into the Breach. Honestly the turns feel less tactical and more like a puzzle to be solved. Ended up putting more hours into it in one month than any game on Steam I've had for the past six years.

#4: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

I played through some of the DS Castlevanias before, but never managed to get around to this one. Hollow Knight finally gave me the inclination to check it out and finish it. What an excellent game and series. Love all the weird monsters they pull from folklore to fill out the castle. Great atmosphere and music.

#5: Dead Cells

Basically like a roguelike SotN-style Castlevania with more linear levels and beefed up combat. I'm still working through it but it didn't take long for me to really fall in with this game. Combat feels awesome and gets really tough when you're juggling multiple enemies in a single encounter. Really can't wait to keep seeing what it has to offer.

#6: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Retro did a good job setting DK apart from some other 2D platformers. Feels a lot heftier than most other platforming protagonists. Fun, challenging levels and surprisingly good and chill music.

#7: Beat Saber

Picked up a PSVR this year. You can honestly say that this game feels pretty thin with just 11 songs and no ability to upload custom ones like the PC version, but playing it reminds me of the first time I ever played Guitar Hero at a Best Buy and being star struck immediately. Hitting the blocks is super satisfying and it feels great when you hit a flow state and just start chopping stuff up.4

#8: Spider-Man

Feels great swinging around the city. While a bunch of people said the combat was a Batman rip-off I think they did a great job of emphasizing Spider-Man's mobility and making you juggle a bunch of different threats simultaneously. Also loved a lot of the angles they took in the story, especially with Octavius. Did find a lot of the pro-cop and anti-drug stuff a little off putting. Also wish they made some elements of the web swinging a bit tougher and less automatic, like the lack of fall damage and the wall running.

#9: Superhot VR

It feels awesome when you dodge bullets and punch dudes in the nuts, and this would probably be higher if it weren't for the hand tracking issues I kept running into. Still feels great to block bullets with knives and shoot back at the same time.

#10: Splatoon 2

I really loved the style and idea behind the multiplayer, but I'm still not able to gel enough with the controls to do well.

The rest:

Stardew Valley

Liked the concept but just lost interest.

Nier: Automata

Weird case where all the discussion around the game gave me a warped perspective on the plot so while playing through it I kept expecting some big twist which kept me from engaging with the plot as it was happening. Also I wasn't into the combat enough for it not to feel like a chore by the end.

Yoku's Island Express

Just didn't play enough of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU