Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
For reference I live in Sydney Australia and to nip it in the bud - if I could move I'd have done that long before I started a thread.

I have a drug dealer (small time - methamphetamine) dealing from his apartment about 5 meters from my front door. There's a steady stream of junkies going in and out of there daily. I share a bathroom in the hallway with my neighbour so I have to go out into the hallway to use that and, obviously, to come and go from my place. I've had them come to my door looking for him. I've had them knock on my door asking to use the toilet or to borrow toilet paper. I routinely have them camped outside my front door waiting for him. I've found them passed out in the hallway blocking the door of a young couple with a baby. I'm loving sick of them. The absolute last straw was a short while ago as I was coming out from a shower one of his customers tried to start a fight with me, completely unprovoked.

I've called the police and given them as much information as I can - they know about him and are working to gently caress him but god knows how long that may take.

All the apartments here are rental properties managed by the same real estate agency. I've contacted them numerous times to no avail. The police mentioned he may have a relative working at the real estate agency (which would explain why he was allowed he install a security door and a spy-cam on a rental property looking out into a common hallway).

I'm pretty desperate. Do I have any other avenues I can explore to get rid of this guy. I don't give two shits if he goes to prison or not - I just want the junkies out of the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Dingoes?

Is it possible to go higher than the real estate company? We had issues with a neighbour so bad I used publicly available information to fid and contact the property owner, bypassing the company managing it completely. Once the owner was made aware of the issues we manage to get the ball rolling, but your mileage may vary. (In NZ here)

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Can you withhold your rent?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Photograph it, and pitch the story, along with an anonymous interview with you, to a local newspaper. If you get one good photo of a junkie sprawled by a pram, or something similar, then there's a high likelihood the paper will pick up the story. Local newspapers like easy stories, and a pre-packaged "drug hell in Sydney apartment block" will be appealing.

If you do get them to run it, make sure to get interviewed, and stress the fact the agency isn't acting, and mention what the police said about the collusion from inside (the paper won't run that part without additional verification, but the reporter may be able to dig into it if they have time). Try and persuade other neighbors to also talk to the reporter, and send their own pictures.

I know a story in the local paper doesn't seem much, but it has the potential to appear high in the search rankings of the agency, and it should put a rocket up their arse, not to mention that of the police.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Funky See Funky Do posted:

For reference I live in Sydney Australia and to nip it in the bud - if I could move I'd have done that long before I started a thread.

I have a drug dealer (small time - methamphetamine) dealing from his apartment about 5 meters from my front door. There's a steady stream of junkies going in and out of there daily. I share a bathroom in the hallway with my neighbour so I have to go out into the hallway to use that and, obviously, to come and go from my place. I've had them come to my door looking for him. I've had them knock on my door asking to use the toilet or to borrow toilet paper. I routinely have them camped outside my front door waiting for him. I've found them passed out in the hallway blocking the door of a young couple with a baby. I'm loving sick of them. The absolute last straw was a short while ago as I was coming out from a shower one of his customers tried to start a fight with me, completely unprovoked.

I've called the police and given them as much information as I can - they know about him and are working to gently caress him but god knows how long that may take.

All the apartments here are rental properties managed by the same real estate agency. I've contacted them numerous times to no avail. The police mentioned he may have a relative working at the real estate agency (which would explain why he was allowed he install a security door and a spy-cam on a rental property looking out into a common hallway).

I'm pretty desperate. Do I have any other avenues I can explore to get rid of this guy. I don't give two shits if he goes to prison or not - I just want the junkies out of the building.

True story... when I bought my first condo (Plymouth, MA) years ago, I had a drug dealer living in the unit right above mine. Since there was a hill near the porch on his floor he would sit on his porch selling drugs and just handing them off to the people standing on the hill. Saw this a few times.

Then one week I was in my Service Dress uniform, complete with wheel hat... Apparently he was so stoned he thought I was a cop, jumped off his porch, missed the side of the hill and fell two stories. Knocked himself out cold. Called the ambulance and the cops showed up with the ambulance. As they were checking him out, they found two bags of drugs in his pockets.

Needless to say I only saw him once more as he was cleaning out his stuff out of the condo...

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Comedy option. Start doing meth as you have an easy hookup now.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Coasterphreak posted:

Can you withhold your rent?

If I wanted to get evicted and then be homeless I could.

Mr Enderby posted:

Photograph it, and pitch the story, along with an anonymous interview with you, to a local newspaper.

I've considered this if the police are unable to do anything within another month. Getting a picture worth publishing is just down to luck. Besides the guy passed out in the hallway I've haven't come across anything.

504 posted:

Dingoes?

Is it possible to go higher than the real estate company? We had issues with a neighbour so bad I used publicly available information to fid and contact the property owner, bypassing the company managing it completely. Once the owner was made aware of the issues we manage to get the ball rolling, but your mileage may vary. (In NZ here)

The slumlord that owns this building is impossible to get in contact with. I've tried in the past. I don't even think he lives in the country.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The slumlord that owns this building is impossible to get in contact with. I've tried in the past. I don't even think he lives in the country.

call sky and pitch the filthy foreigners filling the country with drugs angle

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

too bad your country caved to pussies and took all your guns or you could go stick a barrel in meth dudes face and evict him personally

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

If I wanted to get evicted and then be homeless I could.

I've considered this if the police are unable to do anything within another month. Getting a picture worth publishing is just down to luck. Besides the guy passed out in the hallway I've haven't come across anything.

You live in a shithole owned by a slumlord. Even if you get your neighbor evicted, do you really expect him to be replaced by a better tenant?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Coasterphreak posted:

You live in a shithole owned by a slumlord. Even if you get your neighbor evicted, do you really expect him to be replaced by a better tenant?

Yes of course I expect that. It's a perfectly reasonable thing to expect. The vast majority of other tenants are decent people and good neighbours. A young couple just moved in next door. They're lovely.

Do you just think all poor people are equally detestable?

Today I sent off a bunch of emails to people with louder voices than me in the hope that something sticks. I got the Catholic school across the street, every single member of the local council, the local paper, and the city's premier tabloid rag.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Yes of course I expect that. It's a perfectly reasonable thing to expect. The vast majority of other tenants are decent people and good neighbours. A young couple just moved in next door. They're lovely.

Today I sent off a bunch of emails to people with louder voices than me in the hope that something sticks. I got the Catholic school across the street, every single member of the local council, the local paper, and the city's premier tabloid rag.

The Tele? You don't go full Tele.

Having a dude dealing across the road from a school is primo tabloid fodder though. If you can snap a shot of him selling to someone in a school jumper you got yourself a pic they'd pay for.

Ohyesitsme
Apr 12, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tabloid rags are the best for this sort of stuff - if you can even get a photo (taken by a "reporter" of course) to them, they'll love it. A bit of "blood" sprayed up the walls, and it's a junkie's shooting gallery. They'll make up the rest for you, no need to go into detail!

My local rag had a picture of a local councillor pointing at a piece of dog shite on the coastal path, full of "Regularly used by young children, safety hazard, horrendous, spoiling the town" etc. - worked a treat apparently. And an anonymous mother claiming her child became sick because she wheeled the buggy past the shite. All made up by the reporter - I suppose they have to have something to write!

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez
Kick in his door while he's away. Call the cops. Tell them you thought you smelled smoke/fire if you get implicated - hell just tell them that to begin with knowing that you'll need to buy a new door if it's worth it

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

If they're not already involved, it might help to have other tenants do the same thing, especially to the local councilmembers with the real estate company cc'ed. It's easier to dismiss one person complaining than several, and the possibility of a lawsuit filed by multiple people rather than just yourself might get the real estate company's attention.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

socketwrencher posted:

If they're not already involved, it might help to have other tenants do the same thing, especially to the local councilmembers with the real estate company cc'ed. It's easier to dismiss one person complaining than several, and the possibility of a lawsuit filed by multiple people rather than just yourself might get the real estate company's attention.

Getting neighbours involved is tricky because I can't be 100% sure who might be friendly with him or who might say something to someone who is. I'd really rather he and every junkie in a 5km radius doesn't know I'm the guy that got him locked up and/or evicted. It's not an exaggeration to say that I could stand up, walk to my door, open it, and be outside his door in under 10 seconds.

I've gotten several emails back from the council members saying that they're investigating and referring the matter. We'll see what that actually means.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Dont push so hard and be patient if you dont want to be blamed. Let the cops do their job, meth bust is pretty good for them so they will do it but they need time to build a case that will stick.

When they do show up you are way more likely to get blamed if you've been lighting a fire under peoples asses.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Made a police connection through our town's Chamber of Commerce/business association. At a monthly meeting I spoke to the chief about this guy across the street dealing. Scumbag had guys drive up to his place, walk to the backyard & then jump back to their car.

Come to find out he was doing drop-box delivery system. Basically they would hand him the money sometime during the day or whenever, then they'd show up go to the back of the house & pick up the stuff under a turned over flower pot with a rock sitting on top. Didn't look like the guy was even home when they came to pick up.

So the detective asks me if I'm willing to have a camera set up inside my house pointing to the house. I agreed. Took about 2 months & a half before they finally moved on the house. Justice moves S L O W L Y.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

underage at the vape shop posted:

Dont push so hard and be patient if you dont want to be blamed. Let the cops do their job, meth bust is pretty good for them so they will do it but they need time to build a case that will stick.

When they do show up you are way more likely to get blamed if you've been lighting a fire under peoples asses.

This. Also if he is able to setup like that (security doors and spy cameras in public hallway and flagrant lines of people or whatever) its probably wise to assume that it isnt just him, dont overthink it or worry but just be aware its not just him. You might find yourself homeless *at best* if you are too pushy. People are not islands. Help the problem go away dont get stuck with fallout, you dont have the capacity to resolve this you do have the capacity to assist the process. Too much pushing may be counterproductive, I have no idea how much pushing would be right tho :P

Personally I wouldnt think going to a trash-rag for a shock 'think of the children' article will help you to facilitate this. Or at least the material support if it goes wrong and you are identified (taking photos out your door is probably not ideal) would probably not help you stay in your residence. Police could potentially not be as supportive as they would otherwise for a whole host of reasons. If he does sell drugs to minors (and you are 100% ***100%!!!*** certain of this) just inform the police, my understanding is thats treated very differently. The tabloids have no duty-of-care, likely no ethics or morality, and if things went really wrong for you it would probably make a great followup sensational story.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ohyesitsme posted:

Tabloid rags are the best for this sort of stuff - if you can even get a photo (taken by a "reporter" of course) to them, they'll love it. A bit of "blood" sprayed up the walls, and it's a junkie's shooting gallery. They'll make up the rest for you, no need to go into detail!

My local rag had a picture of a local councillor pointing at a piece of dog shite on the coastal path, full of "Regularly used by young children, safety hazard, horrendous, spoiling the town" etc. - worked a treat apparently. And an anonymous mother claiming her child became sick because she wheeled the buggy past the shite. All made up by the reporter - I suppose they have to have something to write!

A politician pointing at themselves?

Anyway op, you should release some poisonous wildlife into his house. Perhaps a deadly wombat.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Is this guy just dealing or is he also cooking that crap up? Cause you might be homeless sooner or later when your apartment building explodes.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Blackchamber posted:

Is this guy just dealing or is he also cooking that crap up? Cause you might be homeless sooner or later when your apartment building explodes.

It'll be just dealing. Home cooks aren't really much of a thing here. Pseudo is locked down hard which makes meth actually easier to get than just a decent cold and flu tablet.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

You know what he drives? A quasi-anonymous 'hey I just saw this guy get in the car and weave out of the lot, he looked high as a kite and I'm worried for pedestrians' might solve the problem out of the house.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Sharing a hallway bathroom?!? What third world country are you in again?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sharing a hallway bathroom?!? What third world country are you in again?

These kind of places were going extinct for a while but I think they're making a comeback. It's like a boarding house basically, the rent is usually very cheap obviously because you are sacrificing the privacy and convenience of your own bathroom.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Basebf555 posted:

These kind of places were going extinct for a while but I think they're making a comeback. It's like a boarding house basically, the rent is usually very cheap obviously because you are sacrificing the privacy and convenience of your own bathroom.

I lived in a place like that when I was just out of university. It was a dump. But that's reasonably appropriate for your first place.

They call these "SRO" (Single room occupancy) in the USA and they are a "good" option for allowing people who are so poor that they are at risk of homelessness afford a roof over their heads. Better than nothing.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

In the middle of the night put up a sign on his door (or even multiple signs leading to his door) stating METH STORE or something similar. Meth heads are usually so paranoid that they may not want to frequent his place of business if it's common knowledge that people go there to purchase highly illegal drugs. If you cut off his source of income, surely he can't afford to continue living there.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

underage at the vape shop posted:

He isn't kidding either. There was a fentanyl operation in my condo building that got busted along with like 2-3 other residences in my city as part of a ring. It wasn't as bad as OP but there was an incident where two drug addicts dragged the lobby Christmas tree (with tinsel and broken ornaments all over) out the front door while giggling like idiots (as per CCTV images printed off and posted). I'm thinking this drug dealer has to be part of a ring if his set-up is that elaborate and the police are waiting for more evidence and such to come in before moving in.

Be patient and just keep reporting this stuff to them to build that case.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
This guy is really small time. His elaborate set up is a screen door that doesn't have an exterior handle on it and a little spycam lookout of a hole cut into it. There's absolutely no finesse to what he does. People knock on his front door and either smoke the ice there or take it with them. It's extraordinarily blatant.

That's the reason he's barely on the cop's radar - he's just not a big enough fish. From what I understand they're currently trying to get him to sell to some plain clothes officers. I'm hoping a call from the council asking about this guy might bump him up a notch or two on their list of priorities.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

This guy is really small time. His elaborate set up is a screen door that doesn't have an exterior handle on it and a little spycam lookout of a hole cut into it. There's absolutely no finesse to what he does. People knock on his front door and either smoke the ice there or take it with them. It's extraordinarily blatant.

That's the reason he's barely on the cop's radar - he's just not a big enough fish. From what I understand they're currently trying to get him to sell to some plain clothes officers. I'm hoping a call from the council asking about this guy might bump him up a notch or two on their list of priorities.

Good luck with it all dude. Hopefully you're out of that place soon enough anyway and it won't matter to you anymore.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Offer to wear a wire and go buy some meth. Best outcome it works and he gets arrested. Worse outcome you get some free meth payed for by the cops.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 5, 2018

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Undercut his prices until he can't afford to continue business.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Just start smoking meth, what's your hangup here OP?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Stop snitching OP.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
make love to him and get free drugs

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

EvilMerlin posted:

True story... when I bought my first condo (Plymouth, MA) years ago, I had a drug dealer living in the unit right above mine. Since there was a hill near the porch on his floor he would sit on his porch selling drugs and just handing them off to the people standing on the hill. Saw this a few times.

Then one week I was in my Service Dress uniform, complete with wheel hat... Apparently he was so stoned he thought I was a cop, jumped off his porch, missed the side of the hill and fell two stories. Knocked himself out cold. Called the ambulance and the cops showed up with the ambulance. As they were checking him out, they found two bags of drugs in his pockets.

Needless to say I only saw him once more as he was cleaning out his stuff out of the condo...

Yep, this. Here's your answer OP. Just relocate your building to the side of a hill - just be sure it's all arranged such that the dealer can do handoffs to people standing on the hill from his porch. and also make sure your Service Dress uniform is clean, wheel hat and all.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Earwicker posted:

Yep, this. Here's your answer OP. Just relocate your building to the side of a hill - just be sure it's all arranged such that the dealer can do handoffs to people standing on the hill from his porch. and also make sure your Service Dress uniform is clean, wheel hat and all.

trying to visualize this hill porch situation and just completely failing

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Air Force dress uniforms with wheel hats really do look like cop uniforms.

Of course, if it's a military town the stoner would recognize, phew, it's just one of those chair force pussies

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Air Force dress uniforms with wheel hats really do look like cop uniforms.

Of course, if it's a military town the stoner would recognize, phew, it's just one of those chair force pussies

Plymouth, MA is not at all a military town. I think the closest AF base that's at all operational is Hanscom AFB, up north of Boston. Army is out at Natick Labs, but other than that? No military really near Boston or Cape Cod, anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Spacewolf posted:

Plymouth, MA is not at all a military town. I think the closest AF base that's at all operational is Hanscom AFB, up north of Boston. Army is out at Natick Labs, but other than that? No military really near Boston or Cape Cod, anymore.

my parents live near Natick and i have never seen anyone in a Service Dress uniform, nor for that matter any hills