Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

Recruiting!

We have a number of openings in our Boulder, CO office ( all open for remote as well ). We make cool products that are used all over the world ( theme parks, stadia, convention centers, airports, conferencing, ... ) - you might have already heard audio processed through one of our products! PM with any questions.

Software Engineer (C++ Application)
Windows C# Developer
Node.js Developer (Embedded)
Node.js Developer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Hi there, I am looking for someone with NodeJS experience to work on something for me.

Basically I need someone to take an existing code base/NodeJS app and hopefully make some changes to it. Said app is classified as abandonware (given up on by original author) and is an online collaboration tool for a game I and some goons play - see https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893821

To be upfront I am not going to be able to pay more than about US$250 total for this. Purely remote work, no companies involved (just me), 2+ week/early October? completion time-frame. I made an attempt at writing a request for quote/spec type document in Google Docs if anyone is interested. Code in question is freely downloadable off github so you will be able to look at it beforehand. Some of the things that will be involved: NodeJS 12.x, React, Redux, Leaflet, webpack, websockets, @babel

I have PMs or email me mreboy AT mreboy DOT com

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
We're hiring!

C++

Principal Engineer: https://grnh.se/86a268921us
Lead Engineer: https://grnh.se/6f3ec43a1us

Spark/Cloud

Senior Cloud/Data Engineer: https://grnh.se/d21881141us
Senior DevOps Engineer: https://grnh.se/70bdd7f31us

Happy to talk more about how great Corelight is over PM. The roles say North America, but we have folks all over the world and we can swing it for these roles as well.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Recruiting!

Languages: C#
Frameworks: .NET, Angular

Description of role: Senior Developer
Healthcare sector, small/medium company doing internet things
Usual recruiting BS -
Main responsibilities include:

Being a key contributor to the delivery of high-quality, secure, tested projects, on time and on budget within our friendly, fun and outgoing teams.
Develop, support & debug web applications, APIs and cloud solutions.
Supporting the product of quality code along with our DevOps and Test Engineers.
Comply with Information Governance requirements.

Key skills:

Essential

You have experience of full stack web development using ASP.NET/ASP.NET Core MVC, JavaScript / TypeScript, modern Angular (we use 11), HTML5, CSS3.
You have experience in the implementation of RESTful APIs and services for Microsoft Cloud deployments (C# .Net, ASP.Net, .Net Core, Azure).
You have experience in working with emerging technologies and conducting proof-of-concept solutions & evaluations.
You have experience working with database technologies (SQL & NoSQL offerings - Azure SQL DB, Azure CosmosDB, etc).
Experience and comfortable working with Agile (Scrum/Kanban) approaches using agile development methodologies (e.g., pair programming, code review, working with legacy code).
Excellent object-oriented skills, including strong design patterns knowledge and enterprise integration.
Ability to analyze business problems and help design suitable technical solutions; analysis, design and estimation.
Passion to produce high quality code using best practices such as clean coding, refactoring, unit testing, SOLID principles.
Familiarity working with and deploying to cloud environments, specifically Azure.
Degree in relevant subject (e.g. technical, computer science) or relevant industry experience.

Desirable

Knowledge of identity management an advantage (claims based identity, federated identity, related standards such as OAuth 2, OpenID Connect, SAML 2.0).
MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) & good understanding of Microsoft technology.
Secure Development Lifecycle.
Azure DevOps.
Azure Active Directory B2C, or other similar IAM providers.
Experience working on multi-region, scalable solutions.
Release management experience.
Data protection knowledge & information governance.

Contact/Link: PM me

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Is this thread still relevant? Who knows! Worth a try anyway.

Hiring!

What: UX Developer (hybrid design and technical skills, mostly shipping production frontend code though)
Who: Indeed, Inc.
Where: Fully remote, most of team is in Seattle

Key skills: React, TypeScript, Apollo Client, unit and integration testing, accessibility chops, attention to detail

Why you should work for us: The best work-life balance of any company I have worked for. Pretty good company culture considering it's corporate. Lots of autonomy and leeway to own work if you're hungry, or you can lean back and just crank through JIRA tickets if that's your style. Very competitive compensation.

More details: here is the job posting, but if you are interested contact me directly, I am the hiring manager https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=4f95e9a4fd109e14&tk=1fmepa77gp12a800

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
xpost

looking for UK goons

Who we are: Financial Software company based in the US

Where are we looking: London, though the job is mostly WFH. Normal hours, down the line on-call shifts but we're pretty rarely paged.

Position: Support/Devops/Monitoring/Software Janitor

Looking for someone to join the software engineering group as a support engineer, it's hybrid monitoring/devops/some opportunity for tool development. This role will keep an eye on our health metrics, K8s deploys, various alerts and dashboards and respond appropriately, as well as play in our Backend API playground to fix poo poo when needed. There is a component of supporting our service team so you need to be able to explain techy things to non or semi-techy people as well as understand requests to figure out if we can hack together something for them. The job is WFH as much as you want, but we would like someone who occasionally can get in to our London office now and then.

The previous person in this role transitioned to a senior QA role that we were able to facilitate by having her loaned out 50%+ of the time to learn that side of the house, so we're very encouraging to have people grow out of this job. This will work very closely with my rapid development team so there will be opportunities to do Python, JS, and Java development, but to be clear I wouldn't categorize this as a software engineering role. I am a hard-rear end about not wanting people working more than 40 hour weeks and we are pretty good about holding to that. On-call will be a thing after ~6 months or so, but our rotation right now is like 1 week on every 2 months and we average 1 page every 2-3 weeks in total so the impact is pretty low.

who are we looking for: Jack of many trades techie person. Some programming is a big plus, at least be able to walk through some source code. If you can do more we'll build your responsibilities in that direction. Honestly my ideal person is someone who is trying to become a software developer but maybe needs some experience and a few more skills to get there. I've done really well with people making career switches a bit later in life, but have done well with new grads too. I'd love to get someone on a 2-3 year road to full-stack figgies.

Salary: It's the UK so everything is complex, but we're targeting reasonable entry-level salaries. Around 55-60k GBP seems to be market, we'll adjust up or down depending on the candidate. In the US this role usually is $75k-$85k in Minnesota.

PM me if you want more info or have any questions.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Offering!

I feel like my skill set isn't specialized enough for most job applications. My background is in software engineering. I currently do solution engineering/implementation which has a lot of overlap with devops, though I'm still usually on the "dev" side of that. Willing to learn whatever is necessary.

Languages: Python, C#, and Perl are my top competencies. I have less-recent experience in Java, Javascript, and C++.

Frameworks: Flask, ASP.NET, AWS CDK, uh... bunch of stuff. Technically I built an Angular application once but frontend isn't really my bag. Would rather not pigeonhole myself with something specific as "a $FRAMEWORK developer" or whatever.

Things you like to do: Like I said I have experience both in straight software engineering and solution implementation, including on AWS. I have some amount of soft customer skills, but I'm much more comfortable in post-sales. As an example of my range, in my current role, I've had to take on SAN architecture, frontend development, legacy Java application maintenance, Perl debugging, developing custom integrations between our products and customer systems, infrastructure as code, CI pipelines, and AWS performance benchmarking and cost analysis.

My main experience is in the media/entertainment industry so I'd like to stay in that area but it's not a make-or-break.

Availability: Looking for a new full-time gig.

Quebec Bagnet fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 18, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Recruiting!

We are a semi social good company based out of california, probably going IPO next year, with about 50ish engineers

Location: CA or US remote for FT, Canada or Mexico for contractor

Languages: Python

Frameworks: Django, and we have a postgres backend if you care

We are very profitable with our main revenue stream but looking to grow our other smaller revenue streams so hiring up in back end, front end, UI/UX etc for big push in 2022 that management spent the last 6-8 months preparing for. Nothing in our stack is super exotic but you will work more closely with our product/marketing teams than you might have at previous jobs. You'd report to an engineering manager who ultimately reports to the vp of engineering, so no worries about being the "product software engineer" or some horrible title.

Compensation is above average but not FAANG level, and management is genuinely interested in keeping talent from burning out, and they have amaaaaaazing fully paid paternity/maternity leave (16 weeks)

Availability: Soon/FT, Now/Contractor

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Recruiting for short term contract work!

Languages: Javascript / HTML / CSS
Frameworks: React / NextJS
Description of role: We need to fix a bunch of Accessibility issues with our website (mostly keyboard navigation issues). We're a startup with a pretty big online presence and need you to come in and quickly tackle these issues. I need you to know what you're doing with Accessibility and can act quickly. Yes we're paying.
Contact/Link: PM or email me at doh004@gmail.com

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 1, 2022

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Anyone here a Data Visualization practitioner?

Pearson reached out to me with a freelance opportunity and I can't do it, so I'm passing it on to you esteemed computer touchers. Do you like teaching Dataviz? Teaching online? Then you're going to be interested in this gig.

Either post here or PM me, all's good.

Project overview (high-level):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oq1ccwqlf3q7iqn/pearson_dataviz_teacher_opening.docx?dl=0

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Recruiting!

Building Native Android applications with Java and/or Kotlin for workplace wellness.

Languages: Java/Kotlin

Availability: Immediate FT/Contractor

Possibly looking for web/backend as well (ES6, React, Webpack, Rails, NodeJS, HTML5, CSS3, REST, SQL/MySQL, nginx/apache)

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Looking for interested persons, negotiable high figgies

Languages: HTML5, TypeScript, Python 3
Frameworks: LitElement, FastAPI
Description of role: I need very motivated and imaginative engineers to help develop a new CMS UI and rendering stack for “boutique” digital signage, and support custom workflows of clients. Bespoke components in HTML5 and WebGL at 8K, typically 100-200 screens per client.

Existing stack is ancient and needs replacing, completely flexible in technology choices.

A pretty significant backlog of work currently with one dedicated front end engineer.

Generally a closed environment for rendering, which means Chrome 101+ minimum currently and ES10 x TypeScript. Expanding to controlling DMX lighting and audio environments.

Automated testing very much preferred due to high visibility of failures.

Link/Contact: PM and visit not so hot website at https://zignage.com

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 5, 2022

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Hiring!

FT Web Application Developer role at a 40+ y/o privately owned biochemical company

Tech stack:
  • Java / Spring Framework / Spring Boot / Apollo GraphQL
  • TypeScript / JavaScript / React/Create React App / Bootstrap / MUI
  • SQL / NoSQL / graph databases / Neo4j/Cypher / Apache Solr / Elasticsearch

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

MrMoo posted:

Link/Contact: PM and visit not so hot website at https://zignage.com

Nice, had no idea you made the Fulton Station displays. I saw these all the time when I was at a startup in the attached Wework offices. That place was a ghosttown after 6, I got to use big rooms for events and someone was recording a weekly podcast

Goons: This guy has been working on high performance dataviz for years, he's always been sharp. If I had the skills back in the day I might have worked on the prototype of these; don't miss your chance

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Oops, three positions open now: one for new CMS, one for a non-linear editor, and one for the playback of dynamic content on the player.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 24, 2022

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

Another recruiting post! Maybe this time someone will actually want to work for us! We make cool products!

We have a number of open positions - see https://qsccareers-qsc.icims.com/jobs/search?ss=1&searchCategory=25348. They are based out of either our Costa Mesa, CA or Boulder, CO office but all are open for remote.

Roles include

We also have a bunch of roles in non-software areas including industrial design, hardware design. power amp design, product management...

PM with questions

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Dudeeee I was looking at your company like last month when I was job searching because I used some of your products before in my other professions and thought "I'm not smart enough to work there!". I should've just tried my luck lol.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Updated long job ramble:

I currently have about 6 positions open, and it all depends what people are comfortable with. We also have an external contractor team working on various activities to assist on a project-by-project basis, such as a front-end logging system by an Ex-Googler. On the dev side positions include: CMS, player, graphics renderer, non-linear editor, and bespoke projects of CMS workflows and graphics. Outside of that there are operations, on-site technicians, and content editor roles.

CMS I have narrowly defined as the server-side UI, it is currently Django 1.6 based, split into two sides, with all the "business logic" running asynchronously in Celery.

Player is the generic name for the device that connects to a monitor or LED panel array. It is currently deployed as Chromium or Chrome, and the next version is technically finished, now using Electron. The player was technically quite complex, and now very much simplified with unit testing everywhere. It runs on x86 and ARM, including Raspberry Pi. In the future we need to try porting again to commercial Smart TVs and other vendors, however most use very old software stacks that are highly inconvenient to work with (Chrome 30's vintage for example on some Samsung models).

Graphics renderer is what drives all the motion graphics in JavaScript et al. Today this could probably be a simple wrapper around WebAnimations, which would also simplify the relationship with the non-linear editor sitting in the CMS UI. For certain video wall arrangements WebGPU and WebGL need better support, with the latter having good utility at MLB on a complex LED panel layout.

Non-linear editor is basically a giant JavaScript component for defining the graphics, i.e. PowerPoint or Google Slides, but with a timeline editor that users of Adobe Premiere Pro or Adobe After Effects would be comfortable with using.

Bespoke CMS workflow refers to a UI dedicated for a given client to implement their business process for a given set of digital signage and equipment. The implication here is that the CMS is too complicated and they just want something simple and focused on their particular use case. The challenge for the CMS developer is enabling these per client without custom builds.

Finally the bespoke graphics refers to the creative content and flow for a given client site. This typically is some sort of data broker suite to aggregate and cache content, and then the motion graphics side to present that data.

So for each of these I have a high level roadmap, whilst being completely open to suggestions.

CMS: 4 is the current version. It has a high level of technical debt. It is highly unrealistic to address. However it has a known interface that is a stepping stone with the next major version. See attached screenshots for reference, they are not pretty nor intuitive, but also not really that complex. You can blame me for the [S] on the status page, I just added that as a quick convenience.
CMS: 5 is the next version that completely replaces the Player to CMS protocol. This requires some changes to the UI due to new ontology and a defined device adoption process.
CMS: 6 replaces the entire backend supporting components to resolve most of the outstanding ticket list items. A relatively major piece is moving to a DAM model, with integration with third party DAM vendors.
CMS: 7 targets features that are only practical on the Internet and with cloud infrastructure.

Those changes refer more to technical backend changes, the frontend has an independent roadmap.

n+1: Replace each page, the CMS is not a single-page-application, with an implementation that is supported, secure, and resolves obvious UX flaws.
n+2: Move to an entirely new UI. We have a UI toolkit and high level UX design from an expert that is a heavy user of digital signage, and after many interviews with clients. It is not set in stone, but a basis to work from.
n+3: Implement a store model for components that can be dynamically added and removed to a deployed system.

I am not a web developer, thus only concentrating here on the higher level detail. However, I have written my own CMS, ERM, and OMS systems that are still in production at a multinational company, so I am only a little bit clueless.

The graphics renderer needs some tweaking to operate with CMS 5 as it will become a standalone component rather than confusingly integrated. It comes from pre ES6M days but at least uses some web-components to reduce the burden.

n+1: Needs a rewrite to ES6M to cleanup abstractions and define clean interfaces.
n+2: Needs a new scheduler that support the concept of media items that define their own running time.
n+3: Support the concept of a playlist of media items that can have additional items scheduled at certain time periods.
n+4: Dynamically alter the playlist due to external triggers, e.g. astronomical time, movie showing time, baseball game play time.

Bespoke graphics is the bucket containing all the one-off work that potentially can be upgraded to the product suite in the future. Here are some examples, all these look like early videos with random defects still in:

Multi-LED panel at MLB store NYC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bT7arDZq5M
Single TV at MLB store NYC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmRjeHBf2kQ
NBA lobby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEqvikFCFH4
Loading many stocks at NYSE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpIjjJmtYXI

So, for a CMS developer the remotely near term goals are:

(1) Start CMS 5 to enable clients at distant locations with significantly less maintenance demands.
(2) Implement a custom CMS workflow for a new client.
(3) Create a new reporting page that simply permits a user to enter a date range and export a large CSV file.
(4) Move to a supported technology stack for the UI, i.e. no more Python 2, and many other old components.

I am not a fan of coder challenges, although I guess basic HackerRank ones are not too terrible. My ask is, how would you plan out your time to achieve the four above goals? How can we enable you to complete these goals more effectively?

Here are some screenshots of the CMS, see how many odd design choices you can spot!

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
edit: position is filled, but if anyone is interested in engineering roles at a no-code startup please PM me as we expect to hire more folks in the next few months

take boat fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 12, 2022

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

Bumping my post since we had a successful hire through this thread! Its' worth mentioning that they didn't technically meet every requirement listed ( number of years experience, etc ) but interviewed super strong got the job. The moral is please don't hesitate to at least reach out if you are interested but don't tick every box - our requirements are more guidelines and we are very flexible.

fankey posted:

Another recruiting post! Maybe this time someone will actually want to work for us! We make cool products!

We have a number of open positions - see https://qsccareers-qsc.icims.com/jobs/search?ss=1&searchCategory=25348. They are based out of either our Costa Mesa, CA or Boulder, CO office but all are open for remote.

Roles include

We also have a bunch of roles in non-software areas including industrial design, hardware design. power amp design, product management...

PM with questions

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Offering!

Languages: The front end dev package - Javascript, HTML, CSS. Hobby level familiarity with C# and Python

Frameworks:
Familiarity with React and Gatsby

Things you like to do: I have experience working directly alongside content teams to put together new pages for promotions and other timeline-driven events quickly. I seeing my wor's effect on a larger team, and I'm happy to be involved in negotiating with non-technical people as well as technical people as a part of my job. I would like to be a part of a larger dev team, however, as most places I've been the One Web Guy who delivers for a team and I don't have as much experience with getting or receiving code reviews a a result. I've worked a lot for larger agencies and educational sites, but I'm not married to staying in that field.

Availability: Looking for a new full-time gig.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Offering!

Non-tech background looking for junior/entry level position. Lots of life experience in a variety of fields, good soft skills - communication etc.

I've developed and deployed projects in Python, C#, Javascript on bare VPS and Azure (Even did the CI/CD for Azure). Comfortable with git/github, linux commandline.

I've got a good grasp of the fundamentals but I have a lot to learn.

Languages: Python, Javascript/Typescript, C#, HTML/CSS
Frameworks: Django/Flask/ASP.NET - Currently working with Svelte
Things you like to do: Prefer back-end but open to full-stack and not necessarily limited to web-dev.
Availability: Full time, US Resident.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Offering!

My previous contract work provider of about seven years fell apart and I'm looking for something in the same vein, if not more stable. I've been primarily a Wordpress developer for those seven years, and for many years before that. I've been doing web design and development for 15+ years and it's hard to imagine doing anything else, but I'm also having a hard time finding work.

Languages: Javascript, CSS, SASS, HTML5, etc. I don't know Typescript but I'm eager to learn.

Frameworks: I know Wordpress extremely well. I'm working with React and Next.js, but I haven't had the opportunity to put them to real-world use yet; I'd like to work with someone or a team who could guide me; I'm a quick learner. For CSS frameworks I prefer my own style, but I could do Bootstrap, Tailwind, etc.

Things you like to do: My dream job involves working with non-profits.

Availability: I'm pretty much available weekdays.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Verisimilidude posted:

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a role in software engineering/frontend development!

I have around 3 years of professional experience as a software engineer where I focused almost exclusively on frontend development. I have worked primarily in the fintech field, but I am looking to break away from that.

My skillset revolves around JavaScript, React, Redux and other technologies. I'm comfortable learning on the job and have done so with large frameworks (React-Native) and languages (TypeScript) in a professional environment.

I would like to work for a larger, established company, but it is not a requirement.

Remote is preferable, but a hybrid position within a reasonable distance could work as well. I am located in Northern New Jersey, approximately 30 minutes commute from NYC.

Full benefits are necessary, as is a competitive salary.

I have a personal website which has a copy of my resume attached, as well as a list of my accomplishments and links to projects. You can feel free to reach me via the Contact Me button on my site, by DMing me here, or by reaching out to my email address located on my resume.

x-posting here as well.

Offering!

My previous position laid me off due to funding issues. Looking for a new position in the realm of web development and full-stack/frontend software development. I have 3 years of professional experience at two companies, both fintech-oriented, though I am open to positions outside of fintech.

Languages: Javascript, CSS, SASS, HTML5, etc. I don't know Typescript but I'm eager to learn.

Frameworks: React.js, React-Native, Redux, Redux Saga, Bootstrap, MaterialUI, Node.js

Things you like to do: I have a ton of hobbies, one of which is making small apps and programs to help with my other hobbies. I like being creative and working with people who are excited about the project.

Availability: Weekdays

Contact: Feel free to contact me through my personal site or in Discord @ buttcheeksio#2062

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender
Edit: candidate pool filled

ShoulderDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 8, 2022

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Skilled manager of people and product in the food and beverage industry. Currently department head at a restaurant group (F&B director) responsible for the performance of 7 restaurants and 89 employees. Engineering makes me happy and I'd like to break into software development if anybody would have my dumb rear end.

Offering!
Languages: Python, C#, C++, Scheme (barely)
Frameworks: Unity, currently learning Flask
Things you like to do: Games, ML is fascinating but I'm not smart enough yet, analytical tools
Availability: Full time

Edit: formatting

Justa Dandelion fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 8, 2022

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Justa Dandelion posted:

Skilled manager of people and product in the food and beverage industry. Currently department head at a restaurant group (F&B director) responsible for the performance of 7 restaurants and 89 employees. Engineering makes me happy and I'd like to break into software development if anybody would have my dumb rear end.

Offering!
Languages: Python, C#, C++, Scheme (barely)
Frameworks: Unity, currently learning Flask
Things you like to do: Games, ML is fascinating but I'm not smart enough yet, analytical tools
Availability: Full time

Edit: formatting

Not that I have anything specific to offer, but have you considered a managerial role in IT?

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

Offering!

Role: Elasticsearch Advisor

Rate: $150/hr (1-2 hrs a week)

About Us

We are building an e-commerce website in the home decor space that will heavily rely on the search experience and store approximately 1 million products. We plan on building our search engine with Elasticsearch and are looking for a search advisor to help us architect the solution and to guide us in implementing the design. We are technical co-founders but do not have a lot of experience in the search space specifically. With your guidance we will be able to implement the solution.

About You

We are looking for someone who has 5+ years of experience in Search and Discovery and has direct experience with Elasticsearch in each of the following:

- Specifically in an e-commerce or marketplace setting
- Query optimization
- Implementing synonyms, auto-complete, spell correction and query to query similarity
- A/B testing

Additionally, since we are fully remote excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must.

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
Offering!
Location: Chicago, Remote, and also open to relocation depending on location
Languages: Javascript/Typescript, Ruby, Coldfusion (:))
Frameworks: Vue, React, Rails, Node
Things you like to do: Web apps. My experience (7 years) is at a couple of complex web apps where I was responsible for front-end and back-end development. Prefer to stay full-stack with feet in both ends
Availability: Looking for full-time role, but open to other opportunities. Currently unemployed due to layoff :/

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Looking for a PWA consultant.

Availability: part-time (per hour)

Us
We are a US publishing company but the team working on this is in Europe. We are looking into making a mobile app for our online reader platform (which is written in JS and React). One that will give a near-native experience on all mobile platforms. Our devs have a lot of experience with JS and React, but not this.

You
You'll help our team evade beginner mistakes, you'll help with the offline layer, possibly other stuff too.

PM me if interested.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Looking for a PWA consultant.

Availability: part-time (per hour)

Us
We are a US publishing company but the team working on this is in Europe. We are looking into making a mobile app for our online reader platform (which is written in JS and React). One that will give a near-native experience on all mobile platforms. Our devs have a lot of experience with JS and React, but not this.

You
You'll help our team evade beginner mistakes, you'll help with the offline layer, possibly other stuff too.

PM me if interested.

Not available for the work, but this use case is strongly aligned with react native, if you find the need to push your in-house team to build it out.
https://reactnative.dev/

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

Oh boy, layoffs. Time to start that good ol' job hunt.

Languages: C/C++, C#, Rust, Ruby, JS, Lua, X86 Asm (NASM/MASM)
Systems: Kubernetes, AWS, ActiveDirectory, Jenkins, DataDog
Frameworks: gRPC, Rails, Flask, AngularJS, VueJS

Was a Senior DevOps Engineer with 5+ years experience, working pretty extensively with containerized deployments and distributed systems, but I've also got a pretty big interest in InfoSec (Reverse Engineering / Malware Analysis) & Game Development (Tooling / Engine Work).

Looking for something full time, PM if interested.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Doctor Malaver posted:

Not that I have anything specific to offer, but have you considered a managerial role in IT?

I've thought about it and I've sorta figured i wouldn't be qualified. Also part of what makes me deeply unhappy in my current role is the constant stress of being a people manager. Also that our company has some really toxic culture problems.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Current position is looking a little shaky so I'm doing some looking:

I'm a Sr DevOps engineer with 5 years experience, 8 years working in Linux systems in the cloud. Primarily AWS-based but have experience with GCP + Azure as well.

Location: Remote. Springfield, MA is an option but not preferable.
Systems: Kubernetes via EKS and ECS, AWS, Terraform (with certification), various flavors of CI/CD (most recently Github Actions, previously TravisCI). Previous experience with config mgmt via Puppet and Ansible, but it's been several years since most of the stuff I've worked on recently has all been containerized.
Languages: Proficient with bash, and a smattering of Python and Golang.

I'm good at getting your AWS environment under control, or at the very least Terraformed to hell and back. I'm also good at interacting with non-technical and management types, and can explain to higher ups what's going on and why we're doing it.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

Necronomicon posted:

Current position is looking a little shaky so I'm doing some looking:

I'm a Sr DevOps engineer with 5 years experience, 8 years working in Linux systems in the cloud. Primarily AWS-based but have experience with GCP + Azure as well.

Location: Remote. Springfield, MA is an option but not preferable.
Systems: Kubernetes via EKS and ECS, AWS, Terraform (with certification), various flavors of CI/CD (most recently Github Actions, previously TravisCI). Previous experience with config mgmt via Puppet and Ansible, but it's been several years since most of the stuff I've worked on recently has all been containerized.
Languages: Proficient with bash, and a smattering of Python and Golang.

I'm good at getting your AWS environment under control, or at the very least Terraformed to hell and back. I'm also good at interacting with non-technical and management types, and can explain to higher ups what's going on and why we're doing it.

You seem like a good fit for the Senior CI/CD Engineer role we have open. Not in my team, but I've had a great time at Corelight the past almost 4 years. Full remote, good work life balance, great benefits, and most of the folks are pretty humble. We'd probably cross paths a bit and it'll be a high impact role. Your Kubernetes expertise will likely come in handy too. Happy to answer any questions you may have and DM me with your details if you apply :).

edit: role filled

defmacro fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 10, 2023

cpmaoa1990
Jul 21, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
admin removed spam

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Current team just broke the camel's back with BS, so I'm starting to look around. Resume/LinkedIn available on request.

I'm a mid-career engineer who's looking for at least partially dev opportunities - anything in the infrastructure, devops space would be a good fit but I'm interested in any coding options. I had a longer career in incident/crisis management, but am trying to move away from that space. Would love to work on stuff like tooling/etc. I'm currently a L5 Systems Developer at a well known jungle-themed cloud company in good standing, and if recent changes weren't happening I'd be pushing for senior. No management experience, not particularly interested in people management, could be convinced to be a lead for the right group.

Location: Seattle, WA area - prefer Hybrid over fulltime in office, would consider remote.
Systems: Familiar with containers at small scale, familiar with various extreme scale infrastructure management services, although mostly proprietary internal tooling at a couple Big Tech places. Use a variety AWS services daily at work, and work with a lot of different infrastructure technology (networking, host management, DNS, IaaC, etc)
Languages: Python is what I use day to day at work; I've done some work before in C# personally.
Biggest Weaknesses: I've been mostly at Big Tech companies that tend to have internal tooling for infra management so there's a lot of common tools I've never touched such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc, although I'm always down to learn new stuff.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Anyone have something for an engineering manager? Been managing for a couple years and I enjoy it. Around 13 total YOE, mostly in games. PM for resume/etc.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a Junior SWE role:

Location: Milwaukee or Chicago for Hybrid, Remote anywhere else

Languages: JavaScript, Python, postgreSQL, HTML5 / CSS

Frameworks: React.js, Redux.js, Django

A little about myself: I'm just finishing up a full stack web dev coding bootcamp and I'm looking for a junior position. I enjoyed learning to build websites but I'd also be open to other areas as well. I've also got a background in aviation with 12 years of experience. I started in the Air Force and have extensive knowledge in troubleshooting aircraft electronic/radar/navigation/comm systems.

If I can, I would like to leverage my past technical experience as I transition to this new field of software development.

I'll be graduating from my bootcamp this Friday. The details of the course can be found below:

https://www.codeplatoon.org/full-stack/course-curriculum/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/davidmann1/

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out via pm!

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Offering: Software engineer with 20 years of experience in mostly web and devtools. I’ve been doing startups for a year and a bit now, and I don’t think it’s right for me. I’m looking for contract work while I figure out what I want to do next. Or maybe just a good next opportunity. I’d love to get in a nice groove of working with Product and Management and doing tickets and projects and tickets and projects and etc and etc.

Languages: Lots of Rust, Perl, and SQL. Bigger projects in Go, Java, and Node. Minor projects in Python.
Things you like to do: Backend. Mostly RESTful APIs. I used to call myself full stack, but really I’m a backend dev with wide interests, like UI/UX, HTML/CSS, web servers, and deployment. Lots work in of SaaS, devtools, authentication, and APIs.
Availability: Contract work. Maybe full time.
Contact: PM. Then we can call or email or zoom. Your choice.