Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The old thread got archived in the wait for Bones 4, and I guess nobody thought to recreate it. But, with Bones 4 coming out, and the general painting thread basically a general 40k painting thread, it might be worth starting part II (by lifting liberally from thespaceinvader's part I OP)

So, who are Reaper Miniatures?
At the risk of sounding facetious, these guys. Also these guys, on YouTube.

In a little more detail, Reaper is a Texas-based company primarily making miniatures for the hobbyist, and for tabletop RPGs, but also selling paints and modelling gear, and running an annual con. They also have a thriving forum, run several game systems (about which I know little, so please do post some information if you have it), and are licensed manufacturers for Pathfinder minis.

So, what do they make, like, specifically?
Several ranges of minis in white metal, resin, and plastic. One range, Legendary Encounters, comes pre-painted and pre-assembled, whilst the rest require you to lavish them with glue and paint and poo poo. Well, preferably less of the poo poo, but you know, whatever floats your boat. They produce minis in a variety of scales, genres and styles, from the outlandish far-future/time-travelly Chronoscope range, replete with cyber-gorillas, zombie-hunters, and mind flayers Bathalians, to the traditional fantasy Dark Heaven Legends and Pathfinder ranges; and from the steampunky Savage Worlds to the mechs of CAV strike operations. Reaper also has paint lines, which can be bought as singles, multicolour packs, or in triads for doing NMM, colour wheel work, etc.

In reality though, most of us are here for the Bones

BONES! What's the deal?
The Dark Heaven Bones, made from a couple of different hardness grades of PVC (depending on the subject) called bonesium range premiered in early 2012 with a test range of 5 or 6 minis, priced from the large Purple Worm at $2.99, to packs of 3 minion-type critters for 3 to 5 bucks. Individual PC-type figures come in at around $1.50, which in a world where a single resin mini can set you back anywhere from $5 to $20, was a refreshing breath of fresh air. But it didn't stop there. 2012 was the year of the Bones Kickstarter.

Reaper announced the Reaper Miniatures Bones: an evolution of gaming miniatures Kickstarter campaign on 23 July 2013, and proceeded to utterly school the world of miniatures Kickstarters for the next two months, earning a grand total of $3,429,235 with nearly 18,000 backers, and a place in the record books as one of the 3 highest-grossing Kickstarters of all time, funding more than 1000 times over. It was an astonishing achievement, fuelled by excellent marketing, clever product placement (it included a healthy lump of Pathfinder minis, and had noticeable spikes in funding when each PF-related set/add-on was announced), high quality of miniatures, but most of all, outstanding, staggering, amazing value. The basic Vampire pledge, for $100 plus $25 shipped outside North America, started out with just 30 minis - decent value, but nothing special....

Over the course of two months, however, we followed Mr Bones on his epic journey though the neat tracking image as the offer ballooned to well over 150 minis, some of which were large sizes, as well as some excellent-value add-ons (the highest price, $25 for a GIGANTIC dracolich) up to a mighty total, for the completionist, of more than 300 minis for around $1 each delivered, as well as a nice figure case, and several other promotional items, paint sets, PDFs and so on. Most of the minis are in the flexible white Bones plastic, but several are in translucent coloured plastic, and the promotional Sophie figure (the Reaper succubus mascot) is in white metal, though this could be, and often was, traded in for $25 of other stuff. They also earned enough to move their production (though, not for the Kickstarter, for the ongoing Bones range) out of China and into the USA.

It was a wild, and expensive, ride, and massive numbers of goons received big boxes of white plastic (and paints, and carry cases, and all sorts of other goodies) in the mail over the next couple of months.

Since then, we've followed Mr Bones on his journey through Reaper Bones II: the Return of Mr Bones, Reaper Bones 3: The Search for Mr Bones, and most recently Reaper Bones 4: Mr Bones Epic Adventure, as well as a project in the middle to bring out the CAV line in bonesium too. Although the deals weren't quite as insane as the first time around, many goons still received slightly smaller big boxes of white plastic, while at the same time Reaper refined their production, leading to better quality minis, the addition of some harder plastic terrain, and a delve further into their catalogue, and into the wonderful minds of ace sculptors like Julie Guthrie, to come up with increasingly out there minis for your table.

Also some controversies have popped up, such as the disaster that was shipping for non-US backers of Bones 3 where the prices were sky high and the product did not arrive for anyone before the Bones 4 kickstarter opened (an example, my quite reasonable Bones order for 3 was slightly smaller than for 4, but I paid $179 in shipping for 3, and $28 for 4), and the senior management figure who turned out to be an alt-righter who was allowed to remain with the company after a non-apology over some public facebook posts. Both dented the confidence of many in the brand.

Accordingly, with the delivery date for Bones 4 fast approaching, to move discussion out of the crowdfunding thread and avoid overtaking it entirely yet again (it really doesn't anymore, but still), come one, come all, and discuss your Bones boners in here. And all of Reaper's other awesome stuff as well, should you be so inclined.

A reminder of what's coming in Bones 4

Recommended aerosol spray primers and paints:

Army Painter white and coloured primers
Krylon Dual Paint + Primer
Duplicolor Sandable – slight tackiness possible
Rust-oleam Painter’s Touch Ultra Cover 2x – slight tackiness possible

Problem aerosol spray primers and paints:

Krylon white primer – doesn’t bond, stays tacky
Testors Enamel flat black – stays tacky
Walmart Valu flat white – stays tacky
Krylon Primer red-brown – stays tacky
Citadel spray
Plasti-kote super primer gray - stays tacky, rubs off easily.

Other useful threads/posts:
The Crowdfunding Thread. In case Reaper decide to smash the KS world again (they're currently offering the Clockwork Dragon as a reward for another company's KS, should you feel you need more of those for cheap).
The painting and modelling megathread: Discuss specific painting and modelling questions and post photos of your awesome/cackhanded painted models in there, but since it's mostly populated by Hams you're not likely to get a lot of discussion about your Bones
A great effortpost about Julie Guthrie, of Nethyrmaul fame, here.
Over on the Reaper boards, a user by the name of Wren has written up three useful guides to Bones.
Bones: Frequently Asked Questions - Unofficial!
Bones: The First Coat is the Difference
Bones: Preparation (Glues, Putties, Mould Lines, Etc.)

Show off your giant Bone(r)s here.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

These are the Bones I've painted since the last one closed

A Wraith

Sphinx

Stormwing

Cinder

Barbarians

Goblin Command

Nathavarr

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 29, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lumbermouth posted:

I'm just getting into minis painting and I wish I was around for any of these Kickstarters. What an insane value.

Bones 5 is supposed to be happening after Bones 4 ships, otherwise the packs can often still be found on ebay, and I think a goon still has some to sell

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Painted Goroloth. I noticed on google image search that a lot of people went for purples, so decided to go blue-green with mine

Still shiny because fish are shiny. Got the body colour by airbrushing minitaire oil ghost tint over VMA duck egg green, the fins are minitaire green ghost tint instead, the eyes are blood red ghost tint and then magenta ghost tint, and the spots are VMC fluo yellow over white. Considering dry brushing the dorsal fin edges and filigree when I get back from holiday.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 29, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Start of Bones 4 fulfillment delayed until first week of March, so nothing down here or in the UK until April, probably May

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 27, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I painted a pointy eared chap last month, not much, but something. Need to finish the dragon oath I failed in December.

NTRabbit posted:

:dogcited: OATH COMPLETE :dogcited:

Galadanoth, now turned Master Hunter for Kings of War, and test subject for my "LRDG X Fremen" Eastern Kindred Elves.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cross postin' more bones

NTRabbit posted:

:goatdrugs: OATH COMPLETE :goatdrugs:

Wolf Demon

Boar Demon

Demon Lord of the Undead

Fire Demon

Claiming the challenge for all the fur and scaly hides

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Finished Narthrax earlier this month

Tried to colour wheel my way out of getting stuck on orange. Also I need a bigger and better photobox.

Some kind of half delay with Bones 4 based on 3 big minis, not sure if that impacts rest of world pledges. I think some kind of late May delivery might still be on? I was only half paying attention to the video.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mine are on a container ship somewhere in the Pacific with no ETA, on their way to Aetherworks

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

That Skelly looks like he's having an amazing ride on his new sled :skeltal:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Arthil posted:

Kind of worrisome hearing people say paint not sticking, it was one of my favorite parts about the original Bones material.

Paint not sticking has been a bugbear of every Bones mini I've pained since Bones 2, they've never been good at holding paint for me if you handle them any rougher than kid gloves. I've never had it wipe right off like paint onto unwashed resin though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Aetherworks delivered mine today. New material seems much better, though yet to look at a human sized mini.

Somehow everything is bigger than I expected it would be. The Roc is enormous, and I've seen pet dogs smaller than the Argent Dragon.

I think I may have enough Bones now.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

While somethings are huge (Roc, Mossbeard, amazing Dragon Turtle, Argent Dragon, Stygian Barge, Skeletal Dragon, T-Rex) some other things came out far smaller than I was expecting, particularly the zombie shark which is only 8cm or so long, the mammoth (claimed to be huge on the campign) which is slightly smaller than the mid sized Deezee one on my shelf, and the Burrowing Behemoth and Gloomstalker are about 2-3cm shorter than I'd hoped. Warchief Mumlak on the other hand is twice the size of the non anthropomorphic mammoth.

Material holds detail a lot better though, all the small minis have faces with distinct features and everything. Very little heat warping too.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

First minis from Bones 4 painted

NTRabbit posted:

:hist101: OATH COMPLETE :hist101:

Statues that you can walk past and ignore because they are totally not alive

Claiming I don't know whether the weather will be nice - heavy damage for the verdigris added to the cracked versions to really sell the old and weathered

I think my budget marble turned out ok

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Thanks! :buddy: I made it up on the fly, and it's super budget - all I did was take my very watery bottle of Vallejo White Primer, brush it onto the grey plastic, which resulted in a typically uneven finish of little bits of solid white surrounded by grades of translucent white, and then wash liberally with Agrax Earthshade. The rest is AK True Metal Copper wax based paint, and Nihilakh Oxide.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nice hut, how did Baba herself turn out?

Bones 5 is going to launch in the middle of the Kickstarter boycott, is anyone planning on crossing the picket line? :toughguy:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Early days

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The pledge manager for bones 4 was open for like a year and a half

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

thespaceinvader posted:

What are Reaper saying about shipping to the UK, out of interest?

Vote Labour

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lots of chonky boi/girl dragons in this one

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They really ramped up the $50 expansion packs, up to 6 now with Chronoscope, Dungeon Dwellers, Daimyo, Greek Odyssey, Dark Depths, Brinewind. Compares with 5 in Bones 4, 3 in Bones 3, 3 in Bones 2, and none in Bones 1

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Father Wendigo posted:

The KS is kind of incomprehensible, but I'm interested in getting the chronoscope core. Is the $40 pledge the right option for that?

It's all run through the pledge manager, you can pledge $1 now and make up the difference when they close it in 2021 if you want - the pledge manager is basically a webstore you finalise your order in long after the KS campaign itself is over, and anything you pledge in the campaign is just added to your account as credit.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 2, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ended up with 7 add ons as they added another fan favourites expansion. Looking forward to my chicken swarm.

Spiderdrake posted:

Seriously though there's a lot of great addons in this one. I don't remember four having so much neat stuff.

I appreciate the wide variety and change in aesthetic this time around, particularly in the dragon range. They really seem to have followed on from the feel of the excellent big stuff in Bones 4 like the Dragon Turtle and Roc.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Reaper finally put an end date on the Pledge Manager, everything needs to be locked in by December 1 2020

Some of the expansion packs looking good

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 8, 2020

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I got my 'shipping starts soon, 4th of July is the last date to change your address' email from the AU distributor Aetherworks

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Got a shipping notice for mine today, scheduled to arrive Tuesday 17th :toot:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

My box of far too many things arrived a few weeks ago of course, only missing a single figure (a scrawny vampire from the Van Hellsing diorama), everything multipart had all its parts, so that's a win.

Firstly, why did I buy this

I'm fine with this

left to right: Blightfang from Bones II, Marthrangul from Bones 3, Gauth from Bones 4, and Ildraedis the Devourer from Bones V, evolution of style and materials (I missed Bones I). Gonna assemble and paint them side by side over the next month or so to compare.

After that, I might compare the huge dragons I haven't done yet, the four great old ones/outer gods I hav, or maybe the giant centrepieces like Tiamat and the Tarrasque but those are like a 6 month project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pretty straightforward, since all the extras are handled by the pledge manager anyway

The ant infestation is Red Alert: Counterstrike nostalgia