Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I've gotten bones 1-4 now, but my game group and life in general just isn't conducive to any kind of minis gaming. I'll probably keep buying them in hopes that in the future they'll see use with my kids :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Slimnoid posted:

Reaper announced a new brand of Bones that will be in production called Bones Black.

Their press release claims that this new type will have:
  • High Detail – Reaper Bones Black holds more detail and is equal to resin or metal
  • Rigid Material – weapons and thin parts are much more rigid and hold their shape, but still flexible enough to withstand constant handling
  • Improved Pigmentation – Reaper Bones Black models are tinted dark grey for ease of painting and viewing
  • Reduced Seam and Shift Lines - produced with high-grade steel molds, Reaper Bones Black models are cleaner, crisper, and require less cleaning

They're offering a Bones Black model each month, that's free for every order of $40 or more, much like past monthly deals. They can also be purchased separately, and this month's model is the Owlbear pictured above.

I just wonder how this will affect the next (?) kickstarter.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Indolent Bastard posted:

Anyone else get their delivery notice?

I ordered 2 Baba Yaga huts and a tree of woe, so either they got the container issue sorted out or I got lucky.

Not yet. I ordered the core, one of the expansions, and $50 of random other stuff.

I haven't even played D&D or anything using these models in 5 years. And I already have $200 of stuff from each of the other bones kickstarters. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Mine shipped, arriving Thursday.

Figure I'll let my kids open them up and play with them for a bit, then ??????? I still haven't separated and put my Bones3 minis away yet.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My 4 year old and nearly 2 year old are walking around the house now, each with a were-crocodile. They're big fans of that one.

But yeah, previous bones projects had a few multipart things, most of the heroes and humanoids were single piece, or pre-glued. This time, I'm absolutely amazed at the pile of bags and sprues I have to cut and assemble. Feels like at least half of them require assembly.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I trimmed and glued basically everything from the core set, plus an expansion.

I like that they have the pieces slot together better, with big and deep connections at times to really make them strong. It's great.

Though, some of the sprues connect to the models in really bad places. Like, the side of a head or face. Why would you have it connect to a spot that gets a lot of attention, and can't be smoothed away easily with an xacto? Some of them are connected to hair, which means you have the hair texture, and then a flat bit where you trimmed the sprue off and shaved it down.

It's mostly good though, just a few annoying ones.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I haven't painted any of the KS4 bones yet, but I always washed them with warm soapy water and a toothbrush first, rinse them really well, let them dry off, then give them an undercoat of 50/50 watered down Reaper brown liner. This did pre-shading, and brown liner's formulation sticks really well to bones material, and other paint sticks really well to it.

I never had a problem with paint scraping off after I did that. Just painting straight onto bones though, there's a little bit of tension that pulls the paint back a little bit. That went away after I started doing the brown liner thing.

Hope it works well on the newer stuff.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Kickstarter fired two employees for attempting to form a union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Cat Face Joe posted:

Hundreds of models showing up all at once is actually the opposite of motivation cause now your painting queue is completely unmanageable

I've painted like 50 models total from dropping ~$200 per bones KS, 1-4.

I backed this one, but I might just pull out in the end. I really have no use for them, but might in the future, what with having two artistically inclined little kids.