Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Kerning Chameleon posted:

It was meant more in the "an adult addressing an adorably wrong child" sort of way, I apologise if any misogyny was inferred by my statements.

This is... Not much better.

My take on it, in general, is that once life is intelligent enough to make technological advances, it happens so fast on a cosmic scale that no one syncs up. If a technologically capable civilization started 40000 years ago, by the time we'd even be able to detect or interact, they have likely advanced far beyond anything we might be able to measure or interact with. That amount of time is massive in terms of our lives, but the tiniest blip in time in the universe.

The "bigger fish" idea doesn't settle well in my mind because what resources could we have to offer that a space-faring race that they couldn't get more easily from a non-occupied planet/solar system? Any slavery options are absurd too because they incredibly likely have machines/techniques that can do all of that labor for them with far less trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU