Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I would ask them if they wanted to gently caress, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DrSunshine posted:

What if they said no?

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 27, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mediaphage posted:

Good news everyone

Space elevators are back on the table according to recent research that suggests rolling up sheets of graphene and braiding it or some such.

If you have an actual news article to share or a more specific critique to offer, please do that instead.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nessus posted:

This is pretty generic, so I guess the example here would be something like "in sixty years, schismatic Mormons funded by X Ae Musk's dogecoin riches use cheap orbital capacity to fly en mass to Mars; most of them die but a grim, marginal cavern settlement endures and receives support from Earth; over hundreds of years, New Kolob becomes autonomous enough to sustain itself even if public opinion of Mars becomes 'that's where those maniacs live and have child marriage'" -- this counts as "colonizing Mars," despite it obviously not being what I suppose we would hope to see in a future martian civilization.

Isn't that just the Expanse?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Name Change posted:

All you need is one rocket full of billionaires or other Everest enthusiasts blowing up and SpaceX won't be worth a nickel.

Inshallah

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also most of that military history stuff has no bearing on modern conflicts besides a few big generalities which do not require a complex understanding of history to teach. The primary purpose is to fluff up the officer corps and make them feel like they are the big bad successors to Sun Tzu. Esprit de corps, or branding if you will.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah I don't give much credence to Fermi's paradox, it doesn't seem to make much sense given what we currently understand about physics and the known universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mediaphage posted:

i think its mostly because the slapfighing made this thread unbearable and thats why it died for months

When I was a mod I was continually impressed and surprised by how contentious this thread could get. It's always been one of my DND chill reads.