Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

axeil posted:

This thread is great and the Fermi Paradox is a legit fascinating thing. I read a great book on it last year:

If the Universe Is Teeming with Aliens ... WHERE IS EVERYBODY?: Fifty Solutions to the Fermi Paradox and the Problem of Extraterrestrial Life

It is swell, and I read this book too! It's a fascinating read and less full of woo than other books on the same subject.

[quote]
The Drake equation is:

N = R ∗ fp * ne * fl * fi * fc * L

where:

N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible (i.e. which are on our current past light cone);

and

R∗ = the average rate of star formation in our galaxy
fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fl = the fraction of planets that could support life that actually develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of planets with life that actually go on to develop intelligent life (civilizations)
fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space

If you do out the math based on what we know, N should be a very, very high number and yet right now our observed N is 1 (us). So if that's the case one of the numbers here must be spectacularly low and it's unlikely its R, fp, or ne just based on what we've discovered in the last 20+ years. Which means you need at least one very low number for the equation to work out and some of them being low (e.g. fc) implies that humans are extremely likely to destroy themselves.

The "good" news is that L is most likely the value that's really, really low as we already have seen our civilization move away from releasing detectable signals into space as things like terrestrial radio/TV are being deprecated.

One thing which I've never really seen discussed is running the Drake Equation backward, an idea that came to me a couple years ago. Of the constants we see in it, there are a bunch for which we we now have fairly decently known values - R, fp, ne. Setting N=1, we could back out a value for the product of the remaining constants that should give us a ballpark estimate of what the terms must at least work out to be.

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1705/1705.07816.pdf

This paper gives values for R≈7/yr, fp=1, ne =0.2. The other terms are the "unknowns" that are kind of sociological in nature, we can call them "λ". Setting N = 1 gives us: 1/(R*fp*ne) = λ ≈ 0.714

So (fl*fi*fc*L) must work out to be greater than or equal to 0.714, because below that we can't account for our own existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Which are the top 10 best moons in the Solar System?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kerning Chameleon posted:

This is why discussions about the Fermi Paradox that don't end with "we simply can't detect them with our lovely instruments" get real facile real fast.

Like, we have people itt that seriously think we actually live in a Lovecraft story, I mean come on.

I don't really think people seriously believe that. It's an "ooh creepy!" kind of tongue-in-cheek thing -- this is still a comedy forum despite being the "Serious" one for debates.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

That all the fancy handwavy, basically magic, Nanotech self-repair you see in SF shows are not compatible with the actual laws of physics.

I don't know about this claim, considering that all life on earth is made of self-repairing nanobots.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Self repairing nanobots that do not survive well beyond the ionosphere at all.

This is a categorical error in response. The class of issues to which I was responding -- the claim that "self-repairing nanobots are physically impossible" -- is entirely different from an argument on engineering practicality. It's one thing to claim that something is impractical or implausible for humans to engineer, it's another thing entirely to claim that something is impossible by the laws of physics. I responded with an example in living organisms on earth being a form of self-repairing nanobots, which implies that they are physically possible.

EDIT: At any rate, the question of whether or not humans will expand past the solar system is kind of beside the point. The main question of the thread is to discuss the Fermi Paradox.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 30, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Cable Guy posted:

I'd have to put Enceladus at least on a par with Europa, and probably above it. Volcanic activity, liquid water, complex organic molecules. A really good candidate for life...

... and its goddam beautiful

On the same note, is anyone else as :geno: as I am about NASA's focus on Mars, when the biggest, most interesting focus for interplanetary exploration would be to send a mission to Europa or Enceladus to search for life under the ice?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_Lander_(NASA)

It's not even on the mission plan yet, it's just a proposal. I think it's a big mistake to be all gung-ho about sending a manned mission to the Moon or whatever when the biggest potential discovery is with submarine missions to the watery moons.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

26 new posts in the Space/Alien/Futurism Woo Thread. :woop:

*checks*

:yikes:

Since it's sort of relevant to the topic re: existential risks to humanity, the philosopher Nick Bostrom has written some fascinating pieces speculating on a lot of the subjects pertinent to this thread. Most pertinent is ""Where Are They? Why I hope the search for extraterrestrial life finds nothing".

You may also have heard of him as he is the author of Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies, a book that was inspired greatly by some conversations he had with internet fedora guy and self-styled polymath Eliezer Yudkowski. :rolleyes: While I think that the particular risk that he talks about in Superintelligence is, frankly, a bit out there, I find myself quite strongly influenced by his framing of the question of risks to humanity and the planet as a problem that is worth serious thought. I think that Bostrom's framework is better used to align ourselves to thinking about questions of present political risk (of totalitarianism evolving from a big-data state empowered by modern technology), risks to present civilization from abrupt climate change, and the long-term risk of the inevitable rendering of the Earth inhabitable by the evolution of the sun.

If you want a brief intro to Bostrom's thinking, you can find it in his paper "Existential Risks: Analyzing Human Extinction Scenarios and Related Hazards" he sets out a nice little table to help frame the concept of existential risk, and sets out several potential scenarios that might threaten the existence of humanity. Like I mentioned earlier, a lot of these are what I would call ridiculous sci-fi scenarios, but the idea of an existential risk analysis matrix is, I think, a useful one.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 2, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Unoriginal Name posted:

What makes people think that humans are intelligent

What's your definition of "intelligence"?

Like, this seems like a facile dismissal of some peoples' points based on an intentional misunderstanding of the meaning of the word "intelligence" as used in the context of such discussions. If we want to belabor the point, we could call it "Big Activities", where we define "Big Activities" as "behaviors emerging from the aggregated combination of activities that humans do, based on our unique combination of abilities, those being: tool using culture, concepts of object permanence, self-awareness, longevity, eusociality/prosociality, capacity for language, and cultural transmission of memory". While many creatures display some of these traits, having all of them at once allowed us to coordinate our actions and interact socially on scales that are unique to humans, and leverage learning from the past and from many different cultures, that allowed us to become dominant across all biomes of the world in a way that no other sentient creature on earth has.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It's kind of apropos of nothing, but the position of your avatar and the text inside it makes it look to me like the TRex fatbird just shat out the words "T-Rex" and it amuses me. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Relevant short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryg077wBvsM

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is pretty much nothing not made up that could make humans go extinct. There is a lot of humans, they live everywhere. They can survive in basically any conditions. Unless you managed to turn the whole earth to lava or something people are going to keep existing.

Probably not a real mechanism for us to get "blasted back to the stone age" either, no matter how much everything sucks, where we all lose language or existing objects vanish, like there is no realistic situation we end up knapping flint again, instead of using all the axes we already made or digging some copper wire out of some abandoned buildings and cold hammering a new axe. Like even if we got mindwiped and didn't recover till every book is rotted away, there is just so much stuff that contains so much information, even if all that survived was a bag of US state quarters or something you could crib a bunch of ideas on a what a boat looks like and a bad map of the coastline.

Well. To counterpoint this, there are some kind of big things that might do it, assuming we never get our asses off the planet or climate change reverts us back to a primitive state. A Chicxulub-scale "geological epoch-ending" asteroid or cometary impact would probably do it. As would the slow, eventual transformation of our planet into a barren world via processes of solar evolution.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

This infographic is from the Congressional Budget Office of the USA.

You can find an extremely detailed table of how much money each Federal agency gets from the government publishing office.

This site probably uses that to summarize the data here:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/200386/budget-of-the-us-government-for-fiscal-year-2012-by-agencies/

The Departments of Labor and HUD both have twice the budget of NASA. The Department of Transportation has more than 3 times the budget of NASA. The Department of Veterans Affairs has almost one hundred times the budget of NASA. Before demanding that NASA be defunded, one should instead ask - which other agencies of the federal government have even more money than they do, and what could be done about them? It is a wonderful thought that you should take the entire trillions of dollars budget of the US Federal Government and give it all to the EPA to fight the impending climate apocalypse, but the unfortunate reality of government is that it needs to spend money to do other government functions as well.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 5, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

friendbot2000 posted:

Kerning has already established that he pretty much loathes science in general in other threads. His hatred of NASA is especially weird not only because he has this strange view that colonizing uninhabited planets equates to whitey colonizing Africa, but that everything NASA does in the fields of physics, astronomy, astrophysics, and geoscience is somehow useless and not worth the money.

I have the complete 180 degree opposite view. I think that to resign ourselves to eventual extinction in 400-500 million years would make it all pointless and terribly sad. What the Fermi Paradox says to me is that we are, as far as we know right now, quite alone in the universe, which makes Earthly life very very precious. We are one gamma ray burst away from a cold, dead, lifeless, thoughtless universe that will have no meaning or purpose whatsoever after we are gone. The evolution of sentient life on Earth brought into being a new layer of existence, superimposed onto the physical reality -- the sphere of the experienced world. Qualia, the ineffable units of experienced life, came into being as soon as there were beings complex enough to have experiences. And to me, the fact of experiences existing, justifies itself.

In that respect, and assuming based on our present knowledge of the world, it is our moral duty to ensure that terrestrial life continues, and to establish as many habitats for terrestrial life as possible, as backups. As long as thermodynamic potential gradients exist in the universe, we civilization-building life forms should ensure that they are taken advantage of to foster habitats for life forms. I think that we should make every effort to convert every single speck of matter in the universe into places for Earthly life to exist.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

See, when I rail against space colonialism, this is the exact sort of poo poo I'm talking about. This is unbelievably narrow-minded, selfish, and geocentric thinking, believing our variety of life is the only valid kind and thus inherently special and deserving of expansion beyond its natural boundries.

but no, tell me again how introducing cane toads to australia was actually cool and good

B-But we don't know that any other life out there exists right now. :psyduck:

EDIT: Until proven otherwise, we should act as though there's nothing out there. If we do find some microbes or whatever living on Europa then of course we should protect it and not damage the conditions under which it grew. Why are you trying to put words into my mouth?

v- Oh my god. :sigh: -v

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 5, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Man, but what if we sent an interstellar probe to the closest exoplanetary system and like 900 years later it gets back to us and it turns out anime is real there? What then???

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hungry posted:

I'm only half-joking when I say that's an incredibly bad idea but not for the reasons you're arguing.

Hello thread! I am the one crazy person who thinks that Active-SETI/METI is incredibly dangerous and stupid because if we're wrong about the answer to the Fermi paradox we'll be dead before we know it.

Hmm, could you explain why you think so?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hungry posted:

I mean I'm not 100% serious about this, it's more like a terrifying thought-experiment/answer to Fermi.

I've seen it called Dark Forest Theory. What if the reason nobody's talking is because broadcasting your presence to the galaxy is incredibly dangerous? What if the reason we can't see any evidence of alien life is because the only successful species are the ones smart enough to treat the galaxy like a dark forest at night? What if making noise and light attracts things like ... well, things like us humans, which like to colonize and extract resources? What if it's a real bad idea to let on you've got a tasty biosphere already set up, no terraforming needed?

Well, I guess it makes sense, but it doesn't seem to reconcile with observations. Like, you could just as easily say "We must fear the eternal night of space for demons lurk there :ohdear:" It's a bit of a facile answer and is as good as any other guess. There are so many possible negative answers -- ranging from "Godlike aliens keep us in a zoo" to "The Reapers from Mass Effect literally exist" -- but the space of all possible negative theories is just so vast that you could make up almost anything to justify it. They almost all kind of converge on the same quasi-spiritual hypothesis, which I find rather insufficient in terms of explanatory power.

Anyway, I know you're not 100% serious about it. It's fun to think about and get that creepy feel you get from contemplating Lovecraft stories and so on. ;)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

While we're talking weaponised Big Fast Rocks, there's a bit in one of the many Kim Stanley Robinson books where an AI arranges for hundreds of pebbles from all over the solar system to hit one particular place at one particular time. It's like being targeted by a big rock, only impossible to detect.

Anyway, this is an excellent thread and I'm glad it's here. I wish there were more like this, but I can't seem to find them- considering the huge number of threads on the forum there *must* be others out there. It's weird.

Yeah, it's nice to be able to discuss these speculative topics. Most of the threads are just megathreads about "Insert local polity here".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

AGGGGH BEES posted:

The fact that most of the universe hasn't been eaten by endlessly self-replicating robot space probes is pretty good circumstantial evidence that humanity is alone, at least for the moment. It wouldn't take that long (relatively speaking) for such probes to spread throughout the entire galaxy.

I just thought about something -- call it perhaps the "Lilypad Hypothesis". What if the reason we don't see the universe eaten up by Von Neumann probes is because right now, it is about half filled with them, and the spaces which we observe to be free of Von Neumann probes is simply just on the very verge of being swarmed by them as they replicate exponentially?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

khwarezm posted:

I'm a little bit disappointed that so much talk around the Fermi parodox in this thread so far has been fixated on corny sci-fi concepts like a super advanced race of implacable predators that manage to get advanced enough to destroy every other species (for seemingly no reason) effortlessly despite the inevitably massive gaps in time and distance they'd have to deal with under our current understanding of physics. Or the federation from Star Trek enacting the Prime Directive on us even though their giant star spanning empire should be nearly impossible to hide under our current understanding of physics and all it would take is one bad actor among their giant star empire to completely ruin their whole plan.

I want to posit a few more grounded ideas, one I was thinking about recently revolves around the fact that we know that Super Earths are extremely common in the galaxy, and it seems that our Solar System is quite aberrant in not having one (though I've heard that Planet 9 could be a Super Earth, but it's so insanely far away that it doesn't count). Super Earths commonly occupy positions around the parent star similar to our own rocky planets including actual Earth, some scientists have suggested that their greater mass could make them overall much more conductive towards the evolution of life compared to smaller planets like our own, the size will help keep a molten, dynamic core around for a lot longer with the magnetic field to protect the planet (compare against Mars), as well promote the process of plate tectonics which might be critical in maintaining a healthy carbon cycle and continent formation (compare against Venus!) and finally hold on and keep a thick atmosphere (compare against Mercury!). With assumptions like this Super-Earths might actually be the site of the vast majority of life in the universe and perhaps Earth is on the very lowest end of planetary size to keep stable conditions long enough for life like we know it to flourish.

The catch comes with the fact that Super Earths are, well, super, their significantly larger mass makes it far more difficult for any civilization to escape the gravitational pull of the planet using only technology they manage to develop with terrestrial methods and resources. We can already see the gigantic amounts of fuel that needs to be invested on Earth to get even small amounts of material into orbit (and things like Kessler syndrome could make things far worse in the future). If Earth really is on the lowest end of planetary habitability it could mean that it is so ridiculously difficult or simply impossible to create a space faring civilization due to the hard realities of the energy expenditure to get off the vast majority of life supporting planets in existence that it just doesn't happen with any kind of frequency. The universe could be teeming with tens of millions of technological civilizations, but biases in planet suitability mean that the planets most likely to develop stable life end up locking them into a planetary prison permanently as a cruelly ironic twist, stuck waiting out the days until their planet becomes uninhabitable either due to natural processes like their sun brightening or if they ruin things themselves like we seem set to do.

A flip on this could be that planets that are smaller could develop life fine, but somewhere like earth has been blessed with just enough critical resources of things like rare metals that planets with less simply cannot build the technological civilization needed to get into space, even if they wanted, or maybe smaller planets are just naturally more barren which prevents the creation of a big enough critical mass of their local intelligent creature to kick-start civilization (sorry I know that's a bit of a loaded term in this context, but creating high density mass-agricultural societies around fertile areas could well be crucial to end up building rocket ships) and especially industrialization.

Even so, with the laws of probability and just given the sheer numbers involved here -- 250 +/- 150 billion stars -- it somewhat strains belief that out of all the low-gravity earths that exist, only one of them (us) in the past 5 billion years would have been given birth to a spacefaring (or nearly) spacefaring civilization. It would only take one, after all. It may very well be that there are lots of intelligent civilizations that can't escape from their super earth worlds, but even if only a tiny tiny fraction of them were capable of it, you'd think that they would be the ones out there expanding across the galaxy.

Or it could be that we might be the first.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm imagining the aliens from Alien except they're like docile space cows. :kimchi:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Terraforming is a trap choice -- that's why you get the Voidborne ascension perk that gives big bonuses to Habitats so you can max out your population in every colonized system, plus it's the first step to :krad: Megastructures.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

LtStorm posted:

An amazing post

This is a really excellent, interesting and informative post!! Thanks so much for making this, LtStorm. Everything until now I had read about Silicon biochemistry seemed to indicate it was not likely to be possible because of something involving silicon compounds being more fragile or less flexible than Carbon ones (If I recall correctly?), but coming from an actual chemist, that really is informative and opens up the possibilities for speculation much more widely.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

Maybe we'd have to deconstruct a couple of planets to build this.

Actually, I think some astronomer calculated that you could surround the sun in a swarm of satellites just with the mass of Mercury alone.

Ah, here we go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQTfuI-9jIo
https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2017/08/23/how_to_build_a_dyson_swarm.html

That'd be doable ... assuming we could invent a self-replicating robot factory. There's still a few engineering problems to be solved on that front, but there's nothing physically preventing us from doing it.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 10, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

my dad posted:

I mean, we have a working proof of concept - us. :v:

Brb pitching my "Disrupt space by getting orphaned 3rd world children to build a dyson sphere by hand" idea to Silicon Valley venture capitalists.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

On the same note, with respect to the recent discovery that the Earth's crust is actually teeming with organisms, I wonder if it could be possible that there might be silicon-based life living deep within the Earth's mantle, or in a place like the surface of Venus?

quote:

The Earth is far more alive than previously thought, according to “deep life” studies that reveal a rich ecosystem beneath our feet that is almost twice the size of all the world’s oceans.

Despite extreme heat, no light, minuscule nutrition and intense pressure, scientists estimate this subterranean biosphere is teeming with between 15bn and 23bn tonnes of micro-organisms, hundreds of times the combined weight of every human on the planet.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

khwarezm posted:

This thread could probably do with a second wind so it's probably not aliens... but please god be aliens.

I really hope it's not Aliens!! Otherwise the Great Filter might be ahead -- See: https://nickbostrom.com/extraterrestrial.pdf

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm not sure how this "You can't travel to the stars, DINGUS, haha I'm so smart" meme became so prevalent on SA -- maybe it's some reaction to the hubris of assholes like Elon Musk and Eleizer Yudkowsky, but, uh, actually we can. It'll take us tens of thousands of drat years, but sure, Voyager 2 will definitely get there. There isn't anything stopping us, really. Even thirty thousand years is a blink of the eye in universal terms.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

https://www.cnet.com/news/chinas-moon-lander-sprouted-a-plant-but-now-its-dead/

Of several seeds sent, only one had actually sprouted, and then promptly died afterward.

Yet more evidence organic life has no business ever being in space, and a rather poetic one at that

:geno:

That's because night fell and the temperature dropped inside the lander.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

As explained in the Motherboard article, the lander shut down non-critical functions in order to keep the mission-critical components warm and functioning through the lunar night. It was not an experiment to see if an ecosystem could be sustained indefinitely -- instead it seems as though they added fruit flies and other germinating plants to see if one could be started spontaneously. It seems more like an afterthought than anything. In fact, one should look at it more as a positive, that some plants were able to germinate at all is a moderate success, and in a mission actually devoted to that end, one should see more plants survive.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I highly doubt you are sad about a cotton seed.

:psyduck: Why are you... presuming to know the contents of someone else's head? Aren't they free to report their own subjective opinion? I was a little sad too because a tiny baby plant sprouting is a very cute thing, doing it on the moon is even cuter. You want to root for small cute things, even if you know rationally that the experiment has to end.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Aliens come out of it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ashpanash posted:

Sure, but there's always some value even in testing things that you think should be obvious.
It's nice to see that someone at the Chinese Space Agency played Kerbal Space Program and knows that you milk that science probe for all it's worth.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

To be fair, what we learned from those rocks was incredibly useful, especially in the earth sciences. Calibrations from those moon rocks helped give us timelines for the formation of the earth and moon and the age of the solar system.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Every new thing we learn about space just further contextualizes how puny and irrelevant we are. I would argue persisting in this vain endeavor is actually increasing overall pessimism in our species, and in fact continuing to explore space is the most cynical decision we could make.

If you care about the future of humanity at all, you should be demanding an immediate end to all space scientific research.

Why not demand an immediate end to all weapons programs instead? The world spends a tiny fraction of its budget on space scientific research, while wasting billions or trillions on private kickbacks and tax breaks to the wealthy class.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The government can ban more than one thing at a time, you know. There are already plenty of anti-weapons people in the world, and not nearly enough anti-spacers.

So what would the benefit of banning space research be? What would it look like? How does it benefit the future of humanity?

I can state the net negatives of nuclear weapons proliferation as a direct 1-1 relationship between the future of humanity. Nuclear weapons proliferation causes the chances of mutually assured destruction to increase. It causes an arms race in deadly weapons of mass destruction that can destroy civilization. Can you list some net negatives of space research/exploration that are on the same scale?

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 18, 2019

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did we mention Isaac Arthur yet in this thread? Because I feel like we should. His whole thing would probably be entirely up this thread's alley!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Here is an Arxiv paper that takes a stab at the Fermi Paradox and concludes that some of the premises behind estimates based on the Drake equation are flawed and that we must be the only intelligent life in the cosmos. What are your thoughts?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Saw that special on PBS about the moon landings, and while most of it was rather appalling blowjobs to MURICA, SCIENCE, AND gently caress DA RUSSKIES and ended on a naked propaganda note to supprt landing on Mars, I was struck by the civil rights leaders of the day bravely denouncing the endeavor. Dr King himself equated the Apollo Project to the horror of the Vietnam War. Got me thinking, and so I went and found a good article about the immorality of space exploration: The racist language of space exploration:

But no, tell me again about how space colonialism is only upsides. :rolleyes:

You unironically support a Khmer Rouge style dictatorship and cultural revolution against all educated people, and want to kill millions to revert humanity back to a pre-technological existence. This is your solution to climate change, as you've posted in other threads, like the Climate Change thread or USPOL. Why should anyone listen to you?

EDIT: Tell us, after this glorious revolutionary vanguard has used all the most advanced technology in the world to systematically reduce the human race to the Stone Age, how would you ensure that, having won the most tremendous power in all of human history, this vanguard class could be trusted not to simply ... keep their political power and transfer it to their appointed successors?

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

suck my woke dick posted:

Keming Chameleon bravely standing up for the rights of rocks ITT.

Broke: Life is precious and we should make sure it doesn't get obliterated by a random gamma ray burst or the sun going nova.
Woke: Actually life is bad and rocks, dust, and gas are oppressed by it.