Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Continuing the arguments about the Great Filter from USPOL (for the uninitiated, Filters are basically hurdles that life has to cross getting from chemicals to star-hopping), I’m going to make a totally unresearched claim that the Filter to Civilization is being able to throw poo poo overhanded. Birds are capable of speech, there’s evidence that elephants have culture, but beaning a sabertooth in the noggin requires a good overhand chuck. And humans happily found that “chucking poo poo” is a field with boundless potential for innovation that something like termite fishing or oyster cracking just doesn’t match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

And just to be clear, the Big Bang is the edge of that fishbowl in every direction. It’s not “the beginning of everything” exactly, it’s the furthest back into time we can see.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Raenir Salazar posted:

I also imagine that constructing a cloud city/outpost on Venus isn't even on the drawing board of any agency, and probably requires building something in orbit and then lowering it in.

Why? From what I understand an airship would be sufficient for an exploration mission

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

silence_kit posted:

Could you provide a source saying that the East India Company never made a profit? Also there is a massive difference in using the profits from a successful economic enterprise to invest in the expansion and growth of the enterprise, and an economic enterprise which doesn't have a prayer of ever being profitable. Where are the revenues of Mars colonization going to come from? What is the comparative advantage of Mars?

Yeah I can safely say that the East India Company made hella profit right up until it got into empire building as documented in The Trading World of Asia and the East India Trading Company. The spice trade was so rich that you could outfit an expedition of six ships, lose five of those ships, and still make a profit. If we’re going to colonize space in our lifetimes companies are going to look for similar profits.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Alien Biospheres is fantastic, they already have part 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeSng_Us9dg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

If there isn’t a betting pool on what lineage gains sentience in the Alien Biospheres series, we need to open one.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6xPxnYMQpquNuaEffJzjGjMsr6VktCYl

E:
Still waiting for the return of the Shoggoths on Serina, the ant colony that decided to become a macro-predator

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 14, 2022