Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
On the general timespan of the universe, I think once humans go beyond this solar system, we're going to find a lot of ruins and monuments scattered out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Kerning Chameleon posted:

That's adorable, you still believe in Asimovian fairy tales of human existence extended beyond the Oort Cloud. Don't worry, dear, one day I'm sure you'll realize the situation you described in that post is exactly as realistic as the literal events of Lord of the Rings. :)

Prove I'm wrong, or that you're right.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Kerning Chameleon posted:

It was meant more in the "an adult addressing an adorably wrong child" sort of way, I apologise if any misogyny was inferred by my statements.

If you want to disagree, that's fine, but you were being reductive and arrogant, which is the general theme of your posts here, and misogynist to boot (I am not a woman, but that wouldn't have changed your insult).

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
Maybe we're under some kind of galactic quarantine until we get to the point where we either pose enough of a threat for a direct intervention or we sort out ourselves at least enough to develop a reasonable society and FTL space travel, and then they make some direct contact. I have nothing concrete to base this on, but we do it on Earth with remote tribes (the missionary recently that got killed on that forbidden island for instance). I can reasonably see a far more advanced nearby civilization doing that with us. The nearest star is about 4 lightyears away and we don't have anything like the technology it would take to reach it in a reasoable frame of time, so we're effectively self-contained.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

axeil posted:

There being no signals from intelligent life because the Reapers from Mass Effect are real is a distinct and terrifying possibility.

This was the plot from The Forge of God and Anvil of Stars. Noisy civilizations attract the Von Neumann probes and render their own extinction except for the Ships of the Law and those that are rescued by the Benefactors. An utterly terrifying thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

zoux posted:

Fred Saberhagen would like to remind you not to forget ancient invincible planetoid-sized sentient doomsday weapons that turned on their masters and now rove the galaxy seeking and destroying all life

Berserker, I didn't know about this one. Thanks!