Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Heat in space is very difficult to get rid of. Most space fightss will be incredibly far away, or heat guns boiling crews to death or surrender. Its not fun or cool its boring and stupid. The vast majority of us would probably be appalled at hunting deer packs with miniguns just the same as a 1800s society would be annihilated by drones hell even 1900s society so much so that it would be boring to conquer them. Maybe boring is the wrong word, i dont have another word that makes sense tonme other than a waste of time and grueling.

Even people working on rovers and mars unmanned missions are concerned with tainting evidence of life or eradicating it entirely by accident. Imagine 500 years from now. We will be watching planets like zoo keepers ourselves and we cant even get to most places yet.

We could have millions of von neuymann probes launched rapidly after we hit certain energy levels that are not far out of reach. It so goddamn easy its ubelievable. We now have reusable rockets, drones, solar panels etc. Put it all together and we can have long range communications (earth to moon communications being referenced as long range ) longer and faster space communications mean longer range automated exploration.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I thought entropy wasnt such an issue because there is no heat dissipation in space

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why do we need to eat jupiter when mercury has enough hematite to build solar arrays around the sun. 75 years after completion we have giga amounts of usable energy. And a directed heat beam if we need to defend from aliens

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

zoux posted:

Alright spoilsports, how implausible is a Dyson sphere.

Sphere is pretty hard man. However rings are much more stable structures. We dont need a megadeathstarsun to create a very viable energy source out of our sun. Space is a much easier environment to navigate for automation than Earth. Weve had satellites for 50 years. Automation has emerged from this, space is a numerical game for navigation. We are barely able to get robots running across forests,but we can navigate something millions of miles away in space. Its an easier 3d environment. Our only hope to making real progress on living through this warm universe is to expand our energy production throigh automated mining of mercury for hematite then building eitjer solar arrays or a full on ring setup.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

qkkl posted:

I don't think it's so much intelligence that separates humans from, say, chimps, but rather education. Homo Sapiens 50,000 years ago would not have appeared to be much more advanced than chimps; they'd be living in caves and using simple tools to hunt. But what allowed humans to jump so far ahead of other animals is the invention of language, where older humans could teach younger humans things, and that allowed knowledge to build up so new humans didn't have to relearn everything from scratch and could spend their time learning new things about the world instead.

Dolphins have dialects and languages, self awareness is more then determiner. Chimps are purveyors of calculated cruelty

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lightning Knight posted:

I think if that life was in the form of microscopic organisms people would probably dismiss it as not flashy enough to be worth the effort.

Hasnt this alredy happened with numerous micro life discoveries or "high propabilities of life "?never flashy enough for anyone to care about

---

The main thing with reusable rockets is automated supply chains. We can automate a car. A train a bus a plane to carry cargo from x to z. The less human interaction with getting poo poo from x to z means more focus spent on production of things. if we could have robotic mining facilities that shoot rockets full of materials back to earth autonomously we can eliminate scarcity much quicker. Even getting a semi truck to run 24/7 semi autonomously would bolster our flow. We rely on car and trains for transport of goods,but even then there is a ton of idle time. Your car sits in a lot for 95% of its life. Semi trucks arent quite 95% but 40 or 50 roughly? I mean methed up humans can run trucks for 24 hrs + but there is obviously a diminishing return.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I think space tigers is bit of a lolzy outcome,in reality what we may actually have an agressive confrontation with is a drone swarm with the controllers long dead. A never ending SEARCH AND DESTROY message. Rrally depenss on how many though, if the factoties arr automated and the resource acquisition became automatic asqell you must wonder how long a dead civilization could keep pumping deathdrones out

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

i just wanna kill alien badass and gently caress swede supermodles

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Axetrain posted:

Hi I'm the lifeform that evolved up on a loving neutron star. I'm 2 millimeters tall, made entirely out of neutrons somehow and my body temperature is roughly a million degrees kelvin AMA.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Heres the problem with modern space travel: objective 1 is surviving escape.

We should build the ships in the atmosphere piece meal so we can build bigger ships. We need a space dock to make any real effort on colonizing.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Raenir Salazar posted:

A space elevator does partially alleviate the need somewhat; and especially comes into play when it comes to actually shipping people off world when you can't scale up a astronaut training program for every clerk you send to space.

But yes, when it comes to building massive superstructures (not even getting into compromise megastructures) or space tugs and what have you, you want to transition to asteroid mining pretty quickly; I don't know what the mineral deposits Mars have but perhaps there's a long term need for asteroid mining to sustain Mars.

Plus any sort of huge generational ship to bring colonists to another starsystem probably needs to be assembled in space and be gently caress off huge.

Mercury is better. 90% hematite

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Dimensional sentience.

If your communication operates in the 4th dimension and has no discernable structure in the 3rd dimebsion are you sentient? If you could look at a human in 4d does it have sentience?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 19, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I dont understand why we need to drag asteroids everywhere? I mean lets go down a simple path of space construction expansion

Build a bigger ISS with a compliment of 10,000 1m drones to help clean up debris and misc other functions
Build a shipyard piecemeal
Pump ships out and trust me i think by this point there will be more than enough capital investment
Create stations inside asteroids for processing and such
Send the materials to earth or NEO

Once we have 1 shipyard the next yard should come way faster

Economies to scale takes care of the rest

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 20, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

D-Pad posted:

You have to mine asteriods in order to build anything of appreciable size in space. Getting the amount of metal you are talking about into space would be prohibitively expensive

Mining yes, but Moving? Why do we need to land or move or position asteroids we mine asteroids in the belt without moving them out of the belt in anything other than shiny ingots.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

this is a thread about spacism not racism

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

thewalk posted:

If we can terraform mars we can terraform earth and then theres no reason to leave earth

Your right we should live on earth forwver so i can grab a pint with my m8s in 4055

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We should scrap this whole NASA thing and instead spend the money on building penetrating satellite imaging so wr can find JFK JR

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Infinite Karma posted:

So forgetting Mars and the Moon for a second...

What about exploring the upper atmosphere of Venus? Nasa awarded a contract to work on a proposal to do that last year

The plan is called HAVOC

Instead of struggling to stop radiation from killing you, Venus has ample atmosphere to block cosmic rays and radiation. Instead of struggling to find air and heat, Venus has as much CO2 to process as we could ever want. And the solar irradiance is much higher than Earth instead of much lower like Mars. And the "Earth-like" portion of the atmosphere, pressure-wise, is basically the same temperature as temperate Earth. Earth's breathable atmosphere is a lifting gas in Venus's atmosphere, and with virtually equal pressures, any breach in the balloon holding up the aerostat would only slowly leak out, giving time to patch/maintain the leak.

And instead of perchlorates and dust and radiation and freezing temperatures, you have to deal with winds and sulphuric acid attacking things exposed to the atmosphere. If we had a process that could filter the acid from the atmosphere, plants could breathe the Venus air (as far as we currently know) and produce oxygen the old-fashioned way). Materials that are resistant to sulphuric acid aren't that hard to engineer. The delta-V to Venus orbit is less than Mars. Why aren't we talking about going to Venus?

Because psychologically Mars has been pumped up a more. Remember the canals thing etc. There's 5 mars movies per 1 venus movie maybe even higher its always been a schtick. And venus looks like jupiter and jupiter is scary (for people not browing the space thread in a debate forum on an internet forum)

I personally am hit harder by mars discoveries than venus ones.Whuch I assumes psychological conditioning by media. Your post was a wonderful read though.

--

Okay so with mars. What do you guys see as more likely underground civilizations with outposts above or a mostly above ground civilization?

And by civilization i mean like 1,000 ish people

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Can we communicate with mars or the moon in real time?id love a good read on inter space communication.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ashpanash posted:

There's a light-speed delay of a little more than one or two seconds in general for round-trip lunar communication, and anywhere from 14 to 50 or so minutes for round-trip communication to Mars, based on the orbits.

If we daisy chained satellites from earth to mars can we make it faster?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Can we slap a prison on the moon? I like broski we could have savage low gravity duels In the Donald Trump Moon ULTRAMax Penitentiary

Is a space bridge easier to work with in smaller objects than larher ones?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The point about a 2nd habitable world is interesting. If we had a 2nd world close enougj to occupt we probably would have been a multi planet species like 50 years ago. I mean what bar for entry of habiting an oxygenated lush planet be?

much less than a barren rock.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Warthur posted:

The assumption here being that making Dyson Spheres and similar is cheaper/easier than interstellar colonisation, which seems tenuous to me. (Given the sheer enormity of the surface area of the Dyson Sphere, is there even enough material in the Solar System to make one which wasn't uselessly wafer-thin? If you need to go visit other solar systems to get the material to make your Dyson Sphere anyway, why not just have your excess population settle other solar systems rather than trying to make the Dyson Sphere in the first place?)

If you're talking about massive objects on a more modest scale, like ruins on a planet or abandoned space stations or something - we've only just, in comparatively recent history, been able to detect the presence of exoplanets at all, and the finest detail we've been able to come up with about them is a broad guess as to what their atmospheres consist of. There could be a Trump Tower on every single exoplanet detected to date and we wouldn't be able to determine its presence using our current techniques.

I think we have 2 definitions of "sphere" in this thread one being not a sphere. There is enough hematite in mercury to build rings around the sun with material to spare

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

In 10^1500 years iron stars form

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Black holes are the most efficent generators in the entire universe. Living near one and virtualizing life would allow us ti slow perceived time down and do calculations factors faster than in the base reality.

Doing so for 10^700 years allows us to live in a cool universe.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Do you all understand what 10^1500 looks like? Like a nuclear loving sub wouldnt last 10^3 years. Our existence is unrecognizable in 10^5

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why dont we just store the human genome on diamonds and send 10,000 von neuymann probes via mass drivers to as much of the galaxy as we can? Microsizing the probes is tantamount to our success.

Our solar system can hold about 100x more humans that we have on earth. Yes 880b - 1 T humans. We have a gas giant on our doorstep thats cooking metallic hydrogen Imagine the possibilities when we can harvest jupiter. Super structures that are made of the highest pressure metal in the universe. Astroids the size of kansas wouldnt be a match for a metallic hydrogen super-structure.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Virtualizing our pipulation orbiting a black hole and utiziling mass to create matter thriugh the wvent horizom allows us to dial down perceived time and do more calculayions in the same speed as the base reality. A small non rotating black hole can hold 100 million people in a -10 factor reality. Smaller black holes have higher matter to energu ratios up yo 46% return. Enough for 12 billion virtualized humans living at a -10 factor base reakity. So 1 million years = 100 million years black hole vr.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I like the banality of every civ being a fungus in a petri dish (its solar system) that grows until it can't and then withers away. In the unlikely event another dish is fertilised it will happen there too. There is no technology that will propel us anywhere else in a timely manner in one piece and complex civs are bound to crumble under their own demands and weight. DOOM.

The technology didnt exist for the romans to cross the rivers of africa.

Yes for the british it did exist and they prospered on an unquenchable level.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cold universe is tantamount to ftl

10^700 is a long wait though

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The best thing that could ever happen to our species is a discovery of a black hole in our solar system. Preferrably a nom rotating black hole as they are like the house cats of black holes.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Bug Squash posted:

I bet we could do some really good gravitational slingshots with one of those. Not sure you can really get non rotating black holes in the real world, but even a normal spinning black hole would be real handy for hijinks.

Or we feed it mass and get energy out capture that energy and
Use it for an anti matter spectrometer

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Deuce posted:

Why are black holes good for something other than death

Well they convert mattet to energy in a consistent manner
They are grest to build next to because of that
The blackhole epoch is about 10^1200 years away and the star epoch is much closer

Also smaller blackholes are more energy efficient than larger ones and can last an insanely long time unfed.

100 gigatons of energy output for 35kg of matter fed. Its the most renewable energy in the UNIVERSE!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

There should be a scifi show about humans disguising as aliens, visting other humans and puppeting them by running around as giant octopuses demanding surrender.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

You see colonizing planets is cool and all earth habital yadda yadda. but the big daddy $$ is in the black hole colonization. And that's a mega-deal. In reality we will probably gang up on a half dozen planets at most maybe 20 over the course of a 10,000 years. And at the end of that we won't even be recognizable. Scribbling down the decadent ways of the past generations to simple simulated experiences of pleasure.

Here is a handy chart for your kickstarter.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yadoppsi posted:

Anyone technically inclined want to speak on those Hungarian researchers who were looking for dark matter and think they may have found evidence of another fundamental force?

Gravitrons.

I rest my case.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Captive state is a great movie about alien conquerors using human built mass surveillance state to repress us. Isnt that the fuvked up idea? No matter what government is in control, After we build this surveillanve state its a permanent item to be used.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Seeing as our material r&d is going to drastically change with the advent of nfusuon id say its very likely to be econimical. We will be able to create materials we never dreamed of.

Solid metallic hydrogen would be one of those. 140 GPa here we come

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 27, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Raenir Salazar posted:

A very brief googling suggests it could be used as a room temperature superconductor which iirc is like the holy grail of material sciences.

Other uses would be ultralight and extremely powerful rocket fuel, which would make bringing stuff to orbit much easier.

A current that could flow forever without losing any energy means transmission of power with virtually no losses in the cables. When renewable energy sources start to dominate the grid and high-voltage transmission across continents becomes important to overcome intermittency, lossless cables will result in substantial savings.

Quoted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

A big flaming stink posted:

I'd say a far greater threat to space elevators is fuckers like Elon musk polluting leo with random crap to the point Keppler syndrome happens

Cant we just push things out of earth orbit with pinpoint lasers?