Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Paradoxish posted:

I don't actually buy this at all. Human civilization has actually taken a very specific path that wasn't in any way necessary. We could have switched to nuclear power much earlier. We never needed to build a car-centric culture. Those were choices made by our civilization and in part dictated by the completely arbitrary order we happened to make certain scientific discoveries.

edit- Keep in mind that the photovoltaic effect was discovered before the first coal power plant was ever built.

We triggered the end of the Quaternary way back during the Neolithic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

This begs the question then, do we know enough to know some idea of the odds? My coworker insisted he read about how some scientist out there insisted that the odds were so small, that even if we factor in we already exist, that the odds are so small that even over billions of years and billions of worlds that the chance of it even happening once is basically nigh impossible. How valid is that and are you perhaps familiar with which scientist made that claim? I hear it was some dude who was originally a physicist who switched to biochemistry or something.

lmao physicists

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

DrSunshine posted:

Show a quote from this thread where someone insists that FTL is real.

Sure.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"It would be too weird" isn't really an argument against something being real. "FTL can't be real because then you could do crazy poo poo I don't like the sound of" is a pretty weak concept. Even if I agree messing up causality sounds like a bad plan.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

No I went back to the last FTL discussion the thread had which was like 10 pages ago, where notions of "FTL violating causality doesn't mean it can't real" started getting thrown about.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

You said people were yelling at you that FTL was real. Someone asked you to quote anyone yelling at you that FTL was real. You quoted a post that didn’t claim FTL was real.

You've got the wrong guy.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

PawParole posted:

people keep confusing local with global causality so I’ll repeat what I said a few weeks ago

I mean, yes, but a closed time-like loop has its issues.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

You really think alphabet agencies would do that? Just go on the record and tell lies?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

These reports, and actual effort and apparent openness on the part of milint regarding looking into them, started flaring up at the same time as countries started development on modern hypersonic platforms.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The Trump's administration response was, instead of exerting soft power, pulling out of treaties that restrict weapon development on the logic of "the others aren't following them anyway," even though treaties like INF were signed during the Cold War when the Soviet Union was in a much stronger position both militarily and economically than modern-day Russia, and yet enough pressure could be mustered that it resulted in them scrapping their projects and destroying the prototypes in full view of international observers.

The world is currently in an arms race and that's the opposite of good, particularly as we are about to face the consequences of the still ongoing global pandemic.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 29, 2020

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

This is the US military that spent tens of billions on attack frigates with no guns that rust on contact with seawater and a 'budget' stealth fighter/bomber with no actual mission profile while its competitors developed supermaneuverable craft.

The US's military procurement has been a joke since the end of the Cold War. This isn't a 4X game; the amount of money sunk into its R&D doesn't mean its several rungs ahead in the tech tree.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

a pwn cocktail posted:

Oh ok, because from what I've read that pretty much is the case. Perhaps you could link to an expert detailing otherwise? Pointing out some guns rusted and that an advanced plane didn't have a "mission profile" isn't particularly convincing.

Can I ask exactly who it is you're putting forward as a plausible alternative? Russia? Their military has also experienced the phenomenon.. Is this the US version of the craft? Again, what about the civilian interactions? Why don't these militaries use the craft for actually winning a war instead of temporarily turning off nukes and essentially playing with aircraft all over the wolrd? How did they exist nearly 100 years ago?

You should read up on the Littoral Combat Ships, the pork barrel clusterfuck that has been the F-35 development and its myriad of issues, and how the US Navy is falling apart.

Also, do you realize that what we've been discussing is a series of modern sightings of unidentified flying objects, that were caught on camera and acknowledged by a government?

Your talk about flying vehicles from hundreds of years ago that "quite clearly had anti-gravity engines and therefore must be alien visitors" is neither here nor there.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

For the last three pages I start reading posts thinking they're snarky rebukes only to realize it's the genuine article.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Lore is that the Kushan had been largely forgotten, but when the hyperspace signal was detected the Taiidani government went ahead with enforcing the ancient treaty to show they meant business, broadcasting the video for the galaxy to see.

You can tell it's fantasy because this didn't go well with their subjects, who called massacring the remnants of their historical oppressors "an atrocity" and began a series of rebellions that collapsed the empire and allowed the exiles to return home.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Devices such as interstellar Von Neumann probes (or any other types of spacecraft for that matter) could just as well be unfeasible for a variety of reasons our material sciences aren't quite there yet to spoil the party on, hence why neither our solar system nor the galaxy at large appear to be teeming with alien constructs.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Scientists have leasrned that nuclear bombs can be used to magnify or expedite star explosions, Controlling masses of suns to make dyson spheres or whatever is childs play. Controlling massive amounts of black holes is what the big boys will do. so the question becomes how do you gauge where the aliens are? We're looking for gigantic dicks in the sky and they probably either dont exist, or aren't prevalent. Black Holes can be created by nukes being utilized on huge stars, and the materials created in those explosions can be harvested as we currently mine all of them on Earth.

--

Okay let's give a scenario, Over the next 40 years we build a space vessel the size of an aircraft carrier

Will we be any more noticeable to anyone watching?

Depends on whether we use the antigravity engines from the Roswell crash.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Why do we need that?

What's im tryingto relay here is you could have a dozen planet alliance with ships running around and still be just as invisible as we are.

Well why do you think the Men in Black always roll over to keep everything in the down low?

Can't have those.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Hoping im not spreading disinformation.

:rolleyes:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The five pages of UFO chat were loving awful yet somehow no worse than seeing posts going "well, ashktually" on people dunking Elon Musk's new age bougie horseshit.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 22, 2020

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Owling Howl posted:

The profound sense of belonging to a group as you watch its members die variously and gruesomely. When your officers die horribly you'll get to take their places and reprise their roles in the recruitment ads you once watched thus perpetuating another cycle of pointless death. If you die you'll be a number on a board and if you live you'll probably be horribly disfigured.

If anyone watched that movie and thought the military or war looked great they are broken.

The truth is that American war glorification media is effective propaganda because despite the body-counts (you need to add tension, after all - compare with media like FMJ and the Hurt Locker and Generation Kill where there are few if any soldier deaths) nobody thinks they will be the cannon fodder.

And if you're in a military like the USA's, massive and very active but that's not faced anything resembling a peer conflict in over 40 years, it's actually kinda true. Not much different from the meatgrinder that's American Football, really, so maybe being "broken" is just cultural.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

So I have an idea about FTL, so I'd be curious what would also make it impossible.

The idea that occurred to me when I was sleeping is, what if instead of traveling FTL in our universe, you just popped out of existence in our universe, but then popped into existence in a identical parallel universe in a different location?

Then if you pointed a telescope at your origin and saw yourself back in the past, there's no time travel because the "you" that pops out of existence in this universe is the "you" that replaces you in your old universe! No more time travel.

Yes there would need to be identical parallel universes and a means of getting there but my understanding is that that is a much lesser hurdle than going back to the drawing board for violating causality, so would this still violate causality?

Setting aside the nature of whatever magic you're using to find an entirely identical universe and then transport yourself to an arbitrary set of timespace coordinates in it, what stops you from jumping back from *that* universe to your original universe at the destination you originally intended to travel to?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not exactly sure how that's important beyond establishing if the first part works, because if the first part solves light cone/causality violations then that implies there's probably solutions to later steps.

Because if you can just jump back, then that's effectively the ability of making a FTL jump within your own universe (with an irrelevant extra step). You're arbitrarily injecting yourself into frames of reference.

And if you've got a method to relocate FTL within your universe, then you're free to violate causality as much as you want.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

The implication here is that you never get back to your original universe.

Why not?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

The implication here is that you never get back to your original universe.

But why not?

Here lies the importance of my question.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nurge posted:

I assume to preserve causality. But it barely matters because of a variety of reasons. Time and space are intrinsicly linked. The idea that you could plop down in some other universe where and when you wanted is pretty ridiculous even if such travel was possible.

Their space is not our space. Their time is not our time. It would be like throwing rocks at the the entire potential of quantum states of the universe from the outside and hoping you hit a duck on the thames in 1742 15th of may, at 6:23:15 am. Also you don't even know what you're throwing and can't see your target, and you don't know what a duck looks like. You're also generating and removing energy from the universe which is as huge a no-no in normal physics as violating causality. There are a myriad of reasons to think there's absolutely no way to gently caress with other universes in any way at all.

I think it's likely some, or infinitely many, or whatever, exist, but things are set up pretty well in a way that there's absolutely no reason to think there's a way to interact with one.

Hey mister, you spoiled what I was going to try and get RS to gradually piece together on their own.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Why are we talking about some ancient fort and its masonry? Did I miss a post?

Because WCG believes in alien visitors.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Let's not forget the one where the smooth stone construction was obviously costlier, so it'd be natural to expect that only the nicer buildings and those that required a more smooth surface for the finishing to be built like that.

Otherwise both follow the same incan style of precision fitting stones without mortar.

Like, the rougher looking buildings are no less structurally sound other than where erosion has taken its toll.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 8, 2020

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Ah, so we're back to aliens.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Nuclear war? Nah

Younger dryas. Yes. because it's a documented occurance of a rapid ice age, a 31KM crater was recently found in greenland which is being dated to 13,000-11,000 years ago due.

Machu Picchu is 600 years old.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The Butcher posted:

I'm sorry for being a dick here but you are being intentionally obtuse and it's annoying. Just state whatever claim you'd like to make clearly.

Never apologize to a UFO truther.

People were initially polite and that's led to six weeks of "its aliens wake up sheeple we don't know whats under the sands of mars the men in black don't wan't you to know" type posts.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Well whatever the case, what we can know for sure is these ancient advanced human empires didn't possess metallurgy.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

D-Pad posted:

WCG is all over the place but there is mounting evidence of an advanced civilization that was wiped out about 12k years ago. When I say advanced I mean relative to what the current consensus is as to technological ability in that time period. Think Rome or Greek advanced at the very most but probably less so.

Again, no metallurgy.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Pre-Columbian civilizations didn't have horses or gunpowder or iron smelting, but all the major nations of the time were otherwise highly sophisticated cultures in many matters comparable or superior to their European peers, and with millennia of accumulated experience exploiting their local environment.

And then smallpox, a blight we feared so much it's the only human disease we've ever completely eradicated, wiped them out.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

CAROL posted:

What’s the deal w the mars monolith. I want to tip it over

It's a boulder.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

D-Pad posted:

Sure, put words in my mouth. And as I noted in the earlier post about the book at no point does she claim it is aliens, or anything else. It's just eyewitness accounts and supporting documents. Yes, NDE poo poo is quack, that doesn't invalidate her book or the fact she is reporting for the New York Times who tends to vet their reporters at least somewhat. If she was making claims about what it all was then yes, you should take her quack book into account. She isn't. It's just reports and interviews.

Oh man, I get wanting to believe in aliens, but that's too far.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Our current understanding of physics does not allow for FTL travel, but it does allow a civilization to capture most of the energy output by their star and to use some of that immense energy to build giant gently caress off transmitters and send targeted signals around the galaxy as a vanity project.

Our current understanding of physics is that large scale space construction projects would be bound by the rocket equation.

Capturing most of the energy output of a star is on the same realm as cheating FTL by way of closed time-like curves.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

That... doesn't change anything...

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I mean if you have infinite fuel and raw materials you can theoretically put whatever you want wherever in your solar system that is correct.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

So you use fuel to transport fuel to Mercury so you can use that fuel to take chunks out of Mercury's gravity well.

Horribly inefficient, but theoretically possible, yes.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

DrSunshine posted:

This gets repeated a lot around here in D&D and CSPAM, but has never sat well with me. Even if you consider the greatest global catastrophic risk we have right now - abrupt climate change - even if the worst case scenario our climate models have come up with, the 8C 'worse than business as usual' scenario, even then we still can't push the climate into a runaway greenhouse.

We don't need a runaway greenhouse effect to turn the oceans euxinic and wipe out the bulk of terrestrial life with the ensuing release of hydrogen sulfide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

DrSunshine posted:

OK, but terrestrial life has survived similar anoxic ocean mass extinction events before. Also, hydrogen sulfide is denser than air at sea level. How do you kill off the humans living at higher altitudes, or farther away from the coast? How do you kill off the population of Tibet or the Andes?

Again I'm not saying that it can't or won't happen, or won't cause terrible loss of life and extinctions of many species. I'm asking how you reduce the human population to less than replacement everywhere that humans could possibly live, or escape to.

Though multiple factors rather than the one silver bullet that does humanity in.