Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of barriers to interstellar travel, are there any plausible solutions to the issue of radiation?

edit: Regarding the issue of "changing the human body," I personally consider stuff like "the elimination of aging" more plausible than stuff like "being able to 'upload' the brain" (or otherwise allow the mind to be divorced from the human body). The latter I think can basically be filed in the "similar to FTL travel, basically magic" territory.

It's not entirely outside the realm of possibility that in the distant future our civilization is replaced entirely or mostly with machines, which may be less susceptible to radiation.

There are also extremeophiles that can survive intense radiation. I don't know of any reason that genetic engineering couldn't achieve the same given enough time. This doesn't seem like a "laws of physics" issue to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU