Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

Olpainless posted:

I suspect the great filter is probably multicellular life, probably the mitochondria step. It's the only thing in the history of life in this world that took a LONG TIME to happen, as opposed to being basically taking over every niche as fast as possible.

This is where I come down. Endosymbiosis is an *endlessly* fascinating idea, and speaks to the sheer unlikelihood of intelligent or complex life. In a game of nigh-endless dice rolls, endosymbiosis is hard mode. And near as we can tell, in the total history of life on earth, it’s happened exactly once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

suck my woke dick posted:

a few pages back, but you're :wrong:

mitochondria, chloroplasts, and you can watch a second independent origin of chloroplast style stuff in action
also beans and poo poo have roots full of more primitive endosymbionts

I worded that poorly -- I meant that mitochondria only happened once, not endosymbiosis broadly

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Black holes are the one thing that survives heat death actually . So do iron stars

Black holes eventually evaporate via Hawking radiation after some absurd number (10^100?) of years.

Edit: also doesn't true heat death mean all matter has decayed completely?

typhus fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 3, 2020

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

True heat death doesn't exist, black holes live untill 10 2400 years iron stars would epoch at about 10 to 2400 years. Also black holes can be fed pretty small amounts of matter and still survive dependent on size. The smaller the hole the less matter required to keep them alive. Holes can also live under for a very long time. Black holes would be the last safe haven of hyper intelligent life in the event of a star epoch. About 30 pages ago I linked a numerical idea of matter to energy ratio for black holes, but 1kg of matter annually could keep a micro society alive inside a computer for "ever" and ever in universe terms is a few hundred trillion years at the least.

That's still a finite amount of time.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Universally finite is a pretty relative term, this is all dependent on physics we have yet to discover. I mean even sizes of the universe are changing in terms of how we see things, 10^2400 is pretty close to infinite in relative terms.

This line of conversation kicked off with the notion that black holes would "survive" the heat death of the universe. The point I'm getting at is that nothing survives the heat death of the universe--that's what makes it heat death. Up to and including black holes.

There's nothing relative about infinity. Infinity is always an infinite distance away from a known quantity. The gulf between "basically forever", which can be expressed as an integer, and "forever", which can't, is an infinite sum. The second law of thermodynamics ensures that we will, after the passage of a finite amount of time, reach a point of maximum thermal equilibrium.

typhus fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 4, 2020

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
While not explicitly about space, there's some news today about hints of new physics that is pretty exciting.

quote:

Evidence is mounting that a tiny subatomic particle called a muon is disobeying the laws of physics as we thought we knew them, scientists announced on Wednesday.

The best explanation, physicists say, is that the muon is being influenced by forms of matter and energy that are not yet known to science, but which may nevertheless affect the nature and evolution of the universe. The new work, they said, could eventually lead to a breakthrough in our understanding of the universe more dramatic than the heralded discovery in 2012 of the Higgs boson, a particle that imbues other particles with mass.

Muons are akin to electrons but far heavier. When muons were subjected to an intense magnetic field in experiments performed at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, or Fermilab, in Batavia, Ill., they wobbled like spinning tops in a manner slightly but stubbornly and inexplicably inconsistent with the most precise calculations currently available. The results confirmed results in similar experiments at the Brookhaven National Laboratory in 2001 that have tantalized physicists ever since.

“This quantity we measure reflects the interactions of the muon with everything else in the universe,” said Renee Fatemi, a physicist at the University of Kentucky. “This is strong evidence that the muon is sensitive to something that is not in our best theory.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
We knew flight was possible because we could see birds and poo poo do it every day. Alien visitation on other worlds is possible -- albeit insanely difficult and extremely unlikely -- because we've done it ourselves, as has been pointed out. To suggest that speculating about a spacefaring civilization reaching another planet is the same as speculating about souls and reincarnation is absurd. That's like saying flight and god are equally probable. They aren't. We've never seen any process or evidence that can be extrapolated in the same way.

typhus fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 10, 2021