Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Well now that we have our own thread for this, I'm going all in because I actually spent most of my youth devouring stuff on aliens and Area 51 and poo poo so I do have some viewpoints on this. But I think the simple one, adding onto Fermi a bit, is this: the universe is just unendingly, mind bendingly, soul crushingly huge and we're just one tiny, likely unremarkable part of it. If anything, the idea that aliens would come visit us instead of billions of other solar systems is just as self absorbed as thinking our star was the center of the entire universe. Who the gently caress are we? That may be part of it. But old, pre-9/11 X-Files stories of visits and coverups still sort of excite me just like they did back then. I do think it's interesting though, how "pilot saw something" is now a legit story that gets reported in the news, not something that causes the pilot to be laughed out of his job anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I love how your post can literally be boiled down to "Okay, BUT WHAT IF everything physicists have observed about our universe so far is 100% wrong and my favorite pulp fiction comic is right? What then, smartie pants?!?"

Some people really don't like the idea that intelligent life in general, and humanity in particular, have far, far shorter shelf lives than they want to believe.

We are not special, we will never be special, and we will all die out without having amounted to even the equivalent of a gnat's fart in terms of impact as far as the universe is concerned. Get over it, and yourself.

Outer space is where everything goes to die, including and especially your hopes and dreams.

This is a more doomsaying way than I would have put it but you have a point here: in the cosmic timeline of planets and stars forming and etc, our overall lifespan is a mere blip on the heart monitor. We'll have been around a few thousand years if we're lucky in a universe where millions of years can pass without anything notable happening nearby. The sheer odds of our short existence overlapping with some other spacefaring species' are long indeed.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

DrSunshine posted:

Which are the top 10 best moons in the Solar System?

IO has to be on that list, top 3 for sure. It's my personal favorite.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
It's telling that, for one example, the Star Trek universe is based 100% on finding what essentially is a wholly new source of propulsion based on a limitless energy output and a process to use it that doesn't exist. You sort of have to start at unobtainium because yeah, the science as it stands now pretty much keeps us locked into our galactic neighborhood.