Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
This is an older article but I share it whenever this topic comes up because it's a good summary of the various outcomes of the Great Filter:

https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

I'm personally a fan of the "we're first" outcome. There's another article (I don't remember enough details to find it and I might be getting some of these details wrong) where someone graphed the "complexity" of life on Earth and worked backwards to find that the origin "should" be before the universe formed, another point in favor of "we're first".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

axeil posted:

I'd be interested in reading that 2nd bit you talk about as it sounds interesting and lines up with the theory that you need a star of at least the 3rd generation to generate life because you need heavier elements.

Found it after more searching! Here's the summary: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/513781/moores-law-and-the-origin-of-life/ and the original: https://arxiv.org/abs/1304.3381. I did have some of the details wrong, it wasn't before the universe formed, it was before the Earth formed:

quote:

Sharov and Gordon say that the evidence by this measure is clear. “Linear regression of genetic complexity (on a log scale) extrapolated back to just one base pair suggests the time of the origin of life = 9.7 ± 2.5 billion years ago,” they say.

And since the Earth is only 4.5 billion years old, that raises a whole series of other questions. Not least of these is how and where did life begin.

[I]f life takes 10 billion years to evolve to the level of complexity associated with humans, then we may be among the first, if not the first, intelligent civilisation in our galaxy. And this is the reason why when we gaze into space, we do not yet see signs of other intelligent species.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

VH4Ever posted:

The sheer odds of our short existence overlapping with some other spacefaring species' are long indeed.

This is why I think the "we're [among the] first" is the most likely explanation to the Fermi paradox. Prokaryotes were on their own for two billion years before eukaryotes came about, then another two billion to get to us. The universe is only around 14 billion years old and the early universe didn't contain any heavy elements as axiel pointed out. I don't think enough time has passed for intelligent life to bridge the vast distances of the universe, if that's even possible under the current physical laws governing the universe.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

qkkl posted:

Eventually civilization bounces back, only to rediscover nuclear weapons and go right back to the stone age with another nuclear war.

This is one of my Earth-related anxieties, I don't think industrial civilization would bounce back, at least on Earth. We've used up all the oil that's easy to access and I'm skeptical that we could make the leap to a second industrial revolution if we had to start from scratch.