Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Vikings Season 5 - What kind of mother are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Jennie Jacques looks like she could put on a plaid skirt and some doc martens and be right at home in Empire Records 2 or some 90s dramedy about 20-something burnouts alongside the usual ensemble 90s movies casts or maybe in a Kevin Smith joint, I don't know why this comes to mind but she has that...rebellious 90s teenager look to me

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I like Judith. But her character evolved a bit too quickly. She used to be clever and sweet.
Now she suddenly became clever and murderous.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://deadline.com/2019/01/vikings-to-end-season-6-final-season-followup-series-spinoff-history-michael-hirst-mgm-tv-1202528772/

Season 6 will be 20 episodes and will end the series. The same team is looking to do another Viking show for History after that.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

The same team is looking to do another Viking show for History after that

they need to find another ragnar

ragnar made this series and nobody else in the cast comes close

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

https://deadline.com/2019/01/vikings-to-end-season-6-final-season-followup-series-spinoff-history-michael-hirst-mgm-tv-1202528772/

Season 6 will be 20 episodes and will end the series. The same team is looking to do another Viking show for History after that.

I don't know if I'll watch another Viking show on History if done by the same team. Look at what they're doing to this show.

I'll watch The Last Kingdom instead, since I've read the books and moderately enjoy comparing the books to the series even though I hate the actor they got for Uhtred. Alfred's actor is badass in it, though.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
was expecting a THIS. IS. ICELAND.

oh well :sigh:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Just what this show needed, an Iceland focused episode.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

where the hell are they going with the iceland subplot anyway

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

where the hell are they going with the iceland subplot anyway

Floki has basically turned to Jeff Probst.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I hope Floki returns to Norway eventually and no one remembers him.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I honestly skip past all the Ivar and Floki scenes so the show feels like a prequel to The Tudors or something.

The Judith actor is so bad.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I like how the male actors age like 20 years between seasons (or in Bjorns case, between episodes) yet the women stay exactly the same.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vakal posted:

I like how the male actors age like 20 years between seasons (or in Bjorns case, between episodes) yet the women stay exactly the same.

I like how they made Lagertha old by dying her hair instagram silver and making her even hotter.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

I like how they made Lagertha old by dying her hair instagram silver and making her even hotter.

Just when you thought it wasn't possible to make Lagertha hotter

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

IIRC this was always the plan. They wanted to tell the story of the Vikings over hundreds of years. I assume the next series will have a time jump and show Erik the Red and Leif Erikson.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I like the modern shovel Floki had that he picked up from Icelandic Lowe’s

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

For the love of gently caress I waited seven days to see a rare thing in this show, a mano a mano fight, and they pull a loving trick by spending a gently caress ton of time on Lagertha and Judith and Hvitserk with the weird Viking Buddha who really loves saunas—and no goddamn fight.

What they don’t realize is that pulling trailer tricks and leaving cliffhangers after each episode of a bunch of Vikings and English sitting around talking is wearing people down, regardless of cliffhangers.

Get your poo poo together, History Channel

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I like the modern shovel Floki had that he picked up from Icelandic Lowe’s

This ruined the episode for me

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I'm very close to just peace-ing out on this series, which makes me sad. It's so weird that the writers thought it was a good idea to retread the same ground as "The Last Kingdom" has been doing almost simultaneously, only doing it significantly worse.

It's disappointing how often the show will open up a new, possibly interesting storyline, do nothing with it for a couple episodes, and then slam the gate shut and go back to England. I was hoping to see something come of their voyage to Sicily and North Africa, for example. That whole adventure could have led to Bjorn or someone else traveling to Constantinople and fighting in the Varangian Guard for a bit. I would love to have seen that. But nope, instead it was over in an episode and we were back in loving Winchester and Kattegat.

Also I love Steven Berkoff, but King Olaf as Viking-Buddha is dumb.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That sounds expensive. I think they just took a vacation in Morocco or something and decided to shoot some scenes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Yeah, I'm sure budget is probably a big part of the reason. Still, they seem to have splurged a lot of money on battle scenes this season, and I'm not 100% sure it was worth it...

(and I'm a man who loves his fuckin' battle scenes let me tell you)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
When the show moved to 20 episodes it absolutely killed the quality. Everything is so dull and drawn out.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Guess Frodo doesn’t make it Mordor after all.

Also Judith’s actual death, as in the way it was acted, was terribad

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Just when I'm out, this fuckin' show drags me back in. I really liked this week's episode. It wasn't perfect, but stuff like Floki stumbling through the cave, finding a cross, and freaking the gently caress out before the volcano brings the whole thing down on him was so good. I'm also enjoying watching the slow but steady downfall of God-King Ivar's theocracy. I'm looking forward to this siege. I just hope there's a reason behind the whole Viking-Buddha nonsense.

Oh and also here's hoping that this is the last we see of Wessex for a while. I doubt it will be, but one can hope.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Hey guys something happened this episode. I guess moral of the story is just watch the season finale.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah, that seems to be a pattern with this show over the past couple seasons - a bunch of disappointing episodes, punctuated by a couple good ones, and then unexpectedly strong finishes. I definitely enjoyed this one, although I think Ivar escaping was a mistake. I don't know where the writers think they can go with him next season, but I'm losing interest in him. Which is a bad sign, because I'm a guy who loves his cackling clownish Kefka-esque villains.

Also interesting teaser for the next season. Looks like they might be moving eastward after all? (albeit to Russia instead of Byzantium? Which makes sense)

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 31, 2019

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Well they got the band back together so that's cool. A pretty good wrap-up all in all. Also yeah the teaser looked awesome.

f/e: I hope Iceland is ok. :ohdear:

f/e^2: And Fairhair, true bro.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Fairhair is currently my favorite character which is surprising since he was such an unlikable rear end in a top hat for most of the show's run.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I kept waiting all season for Floki to walk over a hill and see verdant green fields of rich farmland. Instead he lived in the mud, everyone killed each other, and he kept getting poo poo on, culminating in him going into a cave to find The Gods and instead finding a Christian cross. Then he caused a volcano to erupt on top of him with a yell. The gods just clowned on him all season. :allears:

I did like the bros getting back together and Bjorn becoming king. I also dug King Harald coming through for him in the end.

I really hope they follow through with the plans to wrap it up next season with the Lothbroks and do a new series set later in Viking times.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vakal posted:

Fairhair is currently my favorite character which is surprising since he was such an unlikable rear end in a top hat for most of the show's run.

Right?! I kind of feel like he should have been the new protagonist once Ragnar bit it, instead of Bjorn. (not that I dislike Bjorn, he's just not a great protagonist)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm not caught up on this show and haven't been for a while, but it's awesome how it whiplashes between 'we know exactly where all the pieces on the board are headed' and 'i guess they died? off screen?'

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Majorian posted:

Right?! I kind of feel like he should have been the new protagonist once Ragnar bit it, instead of Bjorn. (not that I dislike Bjorn, he's just not a great protagonist)

I think it's due to him being to the only main character left that is not related to Ragnar and every once and awhile it's up to him to take a step back and realize just how hosed up the situation with all these feuding Ragnar children really is.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Harald grew on me the last few episodes, but before that I couldn't help but think, "THIS idiot is going to become king of all Norway later on in actual history?" I mean, he's not really smart at all, or at least the show portrays him that way.

e: Also, how freaking badass is Gunnhild (sp)? Freaking take two arrows during the battle and just snaps 'em or pulls 'em out and keeps on fighting like nothing happened, can keep up with the dudes better than a lot of the other female warrior characters in the show.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 4, 2019

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think Harald is so sympathetic because he's always so put upon and unlucky in love. As seen recently when he started to fall for that new tall shieldmaiden and she immediately threw him over for Bjorn when her husband died. He's like the Charlie Brown of vikings.

It was also hilarious when she got him and Bjorn to stop fighting and they angrily nodded their renewal of friendship like it was always gonna end that way anyway. HUG IT OUT BROS!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm glad they pulled it back together for the last episode, but the ending felt pretty abrupt.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Reminder that the two hour Season 6 premiere is tonight.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Reminder that the two hour Season 6 premiere is tonight.

Huh, so it it. I would've complately missed that.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hopefully the new setting in the Russian steppes revives my interest enough to keep watching. The premier wasn’t terrible, Oleg is a freaking psycho. DirecTV can’t get their poo poo together on episode numbering and recording, the usual Saga episode was somehow e3 and it recorded the premier for me in both a single 2h episode and also two 1h episodes wtf.

Anyone bothering to make a S6 thread?