Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I thought the two eps were pretty sold overall. I like the Rus Vikings guys, something different besides England/Iceland all the time. Bjorn is an idiot and gets owned by King Olaf if the preview shows anything accurate, gee who could have saw that coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I thought the two eps were pretty sold overall. I like the Rus Vikings guys, something different besides England/Iceland all the time. Bjorn is an idiot and gets owned by King Olaf if the preview shows anything accurate, gee who could have saw that coming.

But the next episode trailers are almost always misleading as a rule. Remember the episode before the one where Ubba fights one of those brothers? The trailer shows him falling on the ground as if he’s been beaten and the show wants us to think he isn’t going to win and we will lose a character.

But then, Bjorn isn’t a master tactician like his pops so I could see him losing that poo poo

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Nthing that this was a good start to the season and the new setting is cool. The brother poisioning made everything seem familiar and comfortable.

Also noticed how they gave Lagertha her own "memories" moment when she went looking for a farmstead. Pretty sure that was the same music from Ragnar's way back when too.

And I'm legit curious about the state of hot air ballon technology in the tenth century now.

re S6 thread; don't think we really need one if there's only a few people watching.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012
Messing with the timeline of The Primary Chronicle will take some getting used to. Oleg was a Pagan as was his successor who was the prince who married Olga who was the first of the Rus to be baptized. Olga gave birth to Svyatoslav who was a Pagan. Svyotislav was the father of Vladimir who brought Orthodoxy to the Rus.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Vicodiva posted:

Messing with the timeline of The Primary Chronicle will take some getting used to. Oleg was a Pagan as was his successor who was the prince who married Olga who was the first of the Rus to be baptized. Olga gave birth to Svyatoslav who was a Pagan. Svyotislav was the father of Vladimir who brought Orthodoxy to the Rus.

Yeah, that bothered me, plus the show uncritically adopting the long-discredited claim that the Rus' "took" Constantinople rubbed me the wrong way. I'm still liking Oleg as a Big Bad, even though he's pretty broad.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Majorian posted:

Yeah, that bothered me, plus the show uncritically adopting the long-discredited claim that the Rus' "took" Constantinople rubbed me the wrong way. I'm still liking Oleg as a Big Bad, even though he's pretty broad.

I'd have to do a little research but I thought Oleg did "take" Constantinople? Plus in the show he said he took it but couldn't hold it or occupy it.

I mean, the show is pretty revisionist anyway, for the sake or literary/cinematic conflict and adaptation.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

life is killing me posted:

I'd have to do a little research but I thought Oleg did "take" Constantinople? Plus in the show he said he took it but couldn't hold it or occupy it.

Nah, he raided the suburbs outside of the walls, but there was pretty much no way he could get over those monsters. So he just nailed his shield to the gate. The Byzantine armies were all off pushing Arabs out of Anatolia, so they just paid him to gently caress off, and he declared victory.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Majorian posted:

Nah, he raided the suburbs outside of the walls, but there was pretty much no way he could get over those monsters. So he just nailed his shield to the gate. The Byzantine armies were all off pushing Arabs out of Anatolia, so they just paid him to gently caress off, and he declared victory.

It might be fair to call that a Viking victory, since they made tons of money by getting paid to gently caress off, and that was their primary aim. Can’t imagine the Rus were a whole lot different.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

It might be fair to call that a Viking victory, since they made tons of money by getting paid to gently caress off, and that was their primary aim. Can’t imagine the Rus were a whole lot different.

Yeah, but that's a pretty far cry from them "taking" the single best-fortified city in the world at the time.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Majorian posted:

Yeah, but that's a pretty far cry from them "taking" the single best-fortified city in the world at the time.

Ragnar vs Prince Oleg in a city-taking contest: Ragnar wins the gently caress out of that poo poo

Ninja edit: Man I miss Ragnar, can’t his ghost come back or something

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ragnar vs Prince Oleg in a city-taking contest: Ragnar wins the gently caress out of that poo poo

Ninja edit: Man I miss Ragnar, can’t his ghost come back or something

I feel like the writers say that to themselves every day.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yeah Vikings were basically the ancient history version of a modern Mob protection money racket.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Majorian posted:

Yeah, that bothered me, plus the show uncritically adopting the long-discredited claim that the Rus' "took" Constantinople rubbed me the wrong way.

Vikings is not show for people who are into historically accuracy. Even if Ragnar Lodbrok was a historical figure there's no way he was part of the Lindisfarne raid and he didn't fake his death to take Paris (in reality that was how Hastein took the italian town Luni) for example.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alhazred posted:

he didn't fake his death to take Paris (in reality that was how Hastein took the italian town Luni) for example.

Well the Viking story was pretty bad rear end faking death and conversion to Christianity as a one weird trick to avoid a siege.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

oleg's christianity seems to go as far as what he can skim off the tithe

also, I never knew you could execute a dude that way

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

upgunned shitpost posted:

Somehow seems worse than the blood eagle, at least in terms of sheer brutality

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I still have no idea how that guy was executed because I blinked. Looked he was catapulted away?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

I still have no idea how that guy was executed because I blinked. Looked he was catapulted away?

Torn apart by trees that were bent down and let go like a slingshot kinda. He was tied to them so it was a cross between a catapult and being drawn and quartered if the horses were trees

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Thanks, that's very creative!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Thanks, that's very creative!

I still think Jarl Borg and King Aelle got it worse, especially Aelle because he got hung up all blood-eagled from a tree for everyone to see.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Looks like Hvitserk is having a bad case of the Mondays.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Looks like Hvitserk is having a bad case of the Mondays.

I’m sure he will be king soon

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

How did Ivar go from evil tyrant who burned alive his brother’s main squeeze, to Cool Uncle Ivar with the kid?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

upgunned shitpost posted:

oleg's christianity seems to go as far as what he can skim off the tithe

Oh yeah, that's actually a really old historically-attested method of execution. That's what happened to the 4th-century Roman usurper Procopius. From what I understand, steppe tribes came up with it.

Boring season so far. Some cool set pieces, but that's kind of it. The writers clearly don't have a direction for any of this.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 21, 2019

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’m sorry, we need 20 minutes of Hvitserk stumbling around every episode

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I’m sorry, we need 20 minutes of Hvitserk stumbling around every episode

Pull yourself together Hvitserk, lay off the mead already and call your sponsor

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with Oleg's accent. Sometimes it sounds like he's from Texas and sometimes it sounds like he's attempting a russian accent.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

How old is Lagertha supposed to be now, 60?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

this show is very bad now but im still watching

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Oh hi Erik The Red

I'm not even sure why I tagged that, I don't think they could have telegraphed that harder

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

hvitserk with the hallucination kill

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

big trivia FAIL posted:

>:\ presses F

also congrats to Harald who finally won something and legit lol'd at Ivar.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

big trivia FAIL posted:

Yeah, that was pretty stupid. I was fine with Lagertha dying of her wounds after the battle, but that was some contrived bullshit, even if it was PART OF THE PROPHECYYYYYY.

Of course, the dinner table scene with Oleg, Ivar, and Katia managed to beat it for worst part of this episode.

This season is terrible. I hate that I'm going to keep watching it.

Alhazred posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with Oleg's accent. Sometimes it sounds like he's from Texas and sometimes it sounds like he's attempting a russian accent.

The actor's from Russia, so I think he's just...doing something weird with it, I dunno.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 9, 2020

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
How can a show that got so many deaths or departures right i.e. Ragnar, Rollo and even more minor characters like Jarl Borg get the second most prominent character's death so, so wrong.

Even the fake out was total garbage with them reusing the exact same music used for Ragnar's death.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think this season has been pretty good, considering the absolutely trash the last few were. I'm loving all the badass shieldmaiden action.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I think this season has been pretty good, considering the absolutely trash the last few were. I'm loving all the badass shieldmaiden action.

That part's been good, and I loved the battle last night. I wish the rest of the episode around it was equally good, but boy oh boy, it was not.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Haven’t seen last night’s episode but so far the season has been meh except for the shieldmaiden fighting. Nothing makes any sense and it feels like they included Oleg and the Rus for their own sake, they seem to be doing nothing with the Rus outside using them to tease a battle with a united Norway which will take all season to come to fruition. I think it will probably happen given the fact Oleg won’t be expecting to meet a united Norway under one king, and Ivar has no idea that is happening. But given their track record I could just as easily see them bumbling the plot and this going nowhere because they are pretty much writing it by the seat of their pants at this point

I’m still watching but man is it time for the show to cash in its chips before it goes full tilt. Except it it’s already on a crash vector for that.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The show crashed died and got buried the moment Ragnar died. It is a corpse operated by pulleys and string now

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

The show crashed died and got buried the moment Ragnar died. It is a corpse operated by pulleys and string now

There was, or could have been, a small chance the show could survive on Bjorn or Lagertha, or better yet Harald. Instead, they shoehorned even more secondary and/or minor characters and have threads going on around them and between them all at once, making it seem even more disconnected. Ivar is useless and too unlikeable a character in general, and his plot line this season is either going nowhere or taking too long to go anywhere. Ubbe is a great actor imho and does really well imitating some of Ragnar's quirks and idiosyncrasies, but doesn't have the charisma as a character to carry the show.

It's sad, they made all the wrong writing choices and we didn't need a ton of new characters in the show's two final seasons to take the focus off the main characters. Bjorn, Ubbe and Ivar ultimately couldn't have carried the show, but Harald, I think totally could have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
As a character Bjorn would have been able to carry the show but I think the reason they aren't doing that is because Alexander Ludwig is a terrible actor. Not just in the show but in everything I've seen of him. It's undoubtedly the reason 90% of his screen time is him staring at poo poo.

Ubbe / Jordan Patrick Smith should have been what they went with since Bjorn is useless outside of looking cool in battle. He's got the acting chops and he actually looks like he could be a real life kid of Fimmel.

The biggest single critique in my opinion is their unwillingness to move on character wise. They're letting characters linger on indefinitely while at the same time introducing new ones as if they'd made the room for them when they haven't.