Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Having watched the episode now, Lagertha dying was bullshit, and I’m still not sure who had Bjorn attacked. I feel like it was Harald but can’t imagine why. I’m surprised Kjetll helped Bjorn even after it seemed like Harald possibly betrayed him. I just don’t feel like Harald has a reason even though it foreshadowed with Kjetll asking Harald what he would do about Bjorn, the fucker came to save Harald’s life after all. But Harald is a treacherous poo poo apparently.

I don’t know what the gently caress is going on with Ivar, that poo poo is comedy relief at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

life is killing me posted:

I’m still not sure who had Bjorn attacked. I feel like it was Harald but can’t imagine why.

It was Harald. He double-crossed Bjorn and Olaf in their plan to get Bjorn elected, by bribing the other electors. Bjorn could mount a challenge to him. Gotta tie up them loose ends.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Majorian posted:

It was Harald. He double-crossed Bjorn and Olaf in their plan to get Bjorn elected, by bribing the other electors. Bjorn could mount a challenge to him. Gotta tie up them loose ends.

I knew Harald would be king by the time Olaf suggested the election of a single king.

That was some treacherous poo poo though.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I knew he was going to be king because it's on Wikipedia.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Keep forgetting that Harald was a real dude

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
So after last week, is the entire original cast gone? I mean I'm sure they'll still show up in flashbacks...but the only original CHARACTER I can think of is Bjorn, and the younger actor has been gone forever. Any remaining side characters from Season 1 I'm forgetting about?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

John F Bennett posted:

Yeah, that's one of the inescapable problems with this show: after Ragnar's dead you start getting into less hazy history, where you can say, "Yeah, that plan's not going to work..."

JoshGuitar posted:

So after last week, is the entire original cast gone? I mean I'm sure they'll still show up in flashbacks...but the only original CHARACTER I can think of is Bjorn, and the younger actor has been gone forever. Any remaining side characters from Season 1 I'm forgetting about?

Depends on whether or not Floki magically manages to come back, which, judging from all the references to him in the past few episodes, I think is likely.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I thought a mountain fell on top of him? He seems to be pretty dead to me.

I kinda miss Ragnar and the whole gang of England. Athelstan, Ecbert, Judith, etc... Those were the golden days of the show.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hell I’d take crazy pee queen at this point

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

I thought a mountain fell on top of him? He seems to be pretty dead to me.

I mean, there seemed to be a cave-in or something after he saw that Christ had hilariously owned him. But as we know through the Laws of TV, we did not see his brains smushed out of his skull by falling rocks and debris, so he's still likely alive somehow.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the adventures of pee queen and keyman where the high point of this show.

what was that? season three?

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Lagertha funeral was really eye rolling. Couldn't stop it during the underwater scene.

Also the writing has completely poo poo the bed to a whole new level. We, the viewers, know that Hvitserk killed Lagertha but Torvi telling Gunnhild that Lagertha was murdered should've immediately been met with a "you sure? she was fatally stabbed by a dude before she left here". Then they could've went the "well she had 30 stab wounds when we found her". But it just skips very obvious dialogue like it's supposed to be some super smart show that can dispense with the necessities (it isn't).

To top it off Bjorn is going to come across as a massive, unlikable hypocrite if he carries through on his vow of vengeance. In the span of two episodes we're going to get to see him go from "I would never want to be in an election if it isn't free and fair!" to salty as gently caress he wasn't gifted the crown, to "I must kill Hvitserk who accidentally killed my mom, regardless of the fact my mom intentionally killed his".

Big lol at Hvitserk doing the medieval equivalent of "i'm not talking without a lawyer" sleep routine though.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I got a little misty eyed, not gonna lie

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The most eye-rolling scenes to me are anything involving Oleg, Katia and Ivar now. Tonight’s scene with them was loving ridiculous and I felt stupid watching it, listening to them describe some poo poo a ten year-old would think up. For once Ivar seems like the cool, calm, collected one. Whoever was responsible for writing any of the scenes with these three is a spectacular piece of poo poo.

By the trailers for this episode (or what I believed was this one), I thought we were gonna get Adventures of Bjorn & Erik the Red, but what we ended up getting was the longest funeral ever and then Bjorn giving an absurdly long eulogy after conveniently showing up back at Kattegat at the exact right time for his mother’s funeral.

My wife was in bed by then and I said out loud to no one, “Okay that’s done, please stop talking now.” More than once. Just during that eulogy.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Majorian posted:

I mean, there seemed to be a cave-in or something after he saw that Christ had hilariously owned him. But as we know through the Laws of TV, we did not see his brains smushed out of his skull by falling rocks and debris, so he's still likely alive somehow.

Which was a reference to the groundwork laid by Christianity in most of the 'Northern' empires to subversively bring our old animism and folklore into a unified world religion that was modelled after the cosmos. A golden boat just like the Greeks golden chariot. Oh I do love these stories. Just as Islam did in the 'south'. The east was accustomed to the ideas already and on our part of the world after the cataclysm it became the starting point because of the events of the Aztec West, IIRC? The Aztecs literally sacrificed hundreds if not more children because of these beliefs which is why I'm thinking it was the starting point, then again it could have been the ending point of that first 'cycle' with the west being so literal. A quick wiki says later but I did remember reading that some of the ancient temples there where built around and possibly before the Egyptian pyramids which mostly mark history for the 'west'.

quote:

To top it off Bjorn is going to come across as a massive, unlikable hypocrite if he carries through on his vow of vengeance. In the span of two episodes we're going to get to see him go from "I would never want to be in an election if it isn't free and fair!" to salty as gently caress he wasn't gifted the crown, to "I must kill Hvitserk who accidentally killed my mom, regardless of the fact my mom intentionally killed his".

Well he did just bring a fleet of guys to free Harald. So being betrayed by him at that moment would leave him quite 'salty' and not so hypocritically so.

I honestly got quite teary eyedd. Thought the dialogue was pretty poor but then again it is a vikings TV show and it mostly has been throughout. Minus a few good Ragnar-era rap battles.

The way they have handled outlining I think quite clearly the reason for all of ours, and even the worlds because christianity, traditions has been breathtaking and I think fairly well executred. Really enjoyed the Ivar 'snake' and Prince 'Eagle' scene and their budding relaitonship for example.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 16, 2020

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Man, I miss the conquest of foreign lands.

Also, they should never have cut short Bjorn's mediterranean adventure back in the day. That had so much potential.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

John F Bennett posted:

Also, they should never have cut short Bjorn's mediterranean adventure back in the day. That had so much potential.

Nthing this. I was hoping for this since way back and the the whole Med. thing didn't even get a full episode, just a few scattered scenes.

Anyway, farewell Lagertha. You inspired a ton of tattoos.

Also the actress has apparently been getting into directing lately. https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2488659/vikings-katheryn-winnick-reveals-one-big-challenge-to-directing

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

Whoever was responsible for writing any of the scenes with these three is a spectacular piece of poo poo.

That's the most surprising thing of all of this, the show has only ever had one writer, who has written every single episode, Michael Hirst. Who is also the creator of the show and its showrunner. Who has been an executive producer since its creation.

Hard to find someone who has ever had this much control over a major show before, so it would take some CharlieMailRoomChart.jpg level poo poo for anyone else besides Hirst to blame for how bad the show has gotten.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

They could have gone to Constantinople. Or hell, done something with Ivar's travels along the Silk Road. Good lord this show sucks.

The most eye-rolling scenes to me are anything involving Oleg, Katia and Ivar now. Tonight’s scene with them was loving ridiculous and I felt stupid watching it, listening to them describe some poo poo a ten year-old would think up. For once Ivar seems like the cool, calm, collected one.

:agreed:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Tehran 1979 posted:

As a character Bjorn would have been able to carry the show but I think the reason they aren't doing that is because Alexander Ludwig is a terrible actor. Not just in the show but in everything I've seen of him. It's undoubtedly the reason 90% of his screen time is him staring at poo poo.

Ubbe / Jordan Patrick Smith should have been what they went with since Bjorn is useless outside of looking cool in battle. He's got the acting chops and he actually looks like he could be a real life kid of Fimmel.

The biggest single critique in my opinion is their unwillingness to move on character wise. They're letting characters linger on indefinitely while at the same time introducing new ones as if they'd made the room for them when they haven't.

It's the Game of Thrones trap they fell into. That's what happens when you kill off the more interesting/charismatic characters after the first couple of books/seasons and then somehow struggle onwards with the B-team, that no one cares about.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Next week is the midseason finale. Then the final 11 episodes in the fall.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

My favorite part of the episode this week was the one dude in that village who could fight, looking at the Rus raiding party like, “oh gently caress no,” and wrecking a bunch of them with a large rock before being sent to Valhalla. Bunch of fools with swords and horses couldn’t handle a dude for like a whole five minutes who was basically unarmed

And then the patrol Harald sent showing up like five minutes later, conveniently, all, “What happened here?”

HOW DID Y’ALL MISS THOSE GUYS WHO LEFT THE SAME WAY Y’ALL CAME IN?!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Preparing for the long, hard voyage to Iceland. In the middle of winter? How to survive such a harsh trip, it's madness to even attempt.

*arrives in Iceland

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Not a terrible episode tonight, surprisingly. The relative scarcity of Oleg/Katya weirdness certainly helped.

Also Ray "Titus loving Pullo" Stevenson!:neckbeard:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What's the payoff of Katya being Freydis?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Wow, the events of the episode went by really fast. Very fast pacing and I don't mind it at all.

Good episode, can't wait for the new war.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I also enjoyed the episode, though I was hoping more would happen battle-wise. It was still one of the better ones this season by far, and I like Erik. I also thought Othere was the slightly effeminate skinny dude who laughed his rear end off during the Grab My Hair While I Yank It Back Right Before The Axe Falls Incident. I know this Othere was an impostor but it showed him strangling some dude who was not THAT dude so IDK anything anymore.

Majorian posted:

Also Ray "Titus loving Pullo" Stevenson!:neckbeard:

That was Ray Stevenson? drat. I'm slacking on my thespian recognition. I should've figured that out immediately. He was a good Blackbeard.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

That was Ray Stevenson? drat. I'm slacking on my thespian recognition. I should've figured that out immediately. He was a good Blackbeard.

Nthing this. Black Sails is awesome if anyone hasn't checked it out yet.

Also really come around on the idea that they should have made Ubbe/his actor Ragnar Mk.II and just run with it. Dude carries scenes.

The Othere stuff is an odd edition this late in the story but they're leading up to a North America segment so whatever.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Is the Golden Land supposed to be America then? I'd have figured it would be Greenland?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

John F Bennett posted:

Is the Golden Land supposed to be America then? I'd have figured it would be Greenland?

They're going to do a crossover episode with The Curse of Oak Island and Knightfall.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Erghh posted:

Nthing this. Black Sails is awesome if anyone hasn't checked it out yet.

Also really come around on the idea that they should have made Ubbe/his actor Ragnar Mk.II and just run with it. Dude carries scenes.

The Othere stuff is an odd edition this late in the story but they're leading up to a North America segment so whatever.

I'm currently starting a fresh watch through of Black Sails on DTV on-demand, I forgot how goddamn good it is. Starz came a long way since Spartacus.

And yeah, the scenes with Ubbe lately have really smacked of Ragnar, his actor is really good at portraying Ragnar's mannerisms and this fascination with a new undiscovered destination, his insistence this guy go with him to this place, and of course the whole Aethelstan thing is the most glaring once Ubbe says, "You've no idea what that name means to me." This makes it feel like classic Vikings, and I felt myself thinking I'd watch a new spinoff with Ubbe as the protagonist. I'd much rather see exploring and fighting than a bunch of Viking soap opera, and Ubbe seems like he wants to get back to the basics. I really wanted Othere to be THE Aethelstan, I almost tried going to on-demand to seek out older episodes to remember if Aethelstan is actually really dead. But I think in Saxon England, "Aethelstan" was basically their "John"

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

I'm currently starting a fresh watch through of Black Sails on DTV on-demand, I forgot how goddamn good it is. Starz came a long way since Spartacus.

And yeah, the scenes with Ubbe lately have really smacked of Ragnar, his actor is really good at portraying Ragnar's mannerisms and this fascination with a new undiscovered destination, his insistence this guy go with him to this place, and of course the whole Aethelstan thing is the most glaring once Ubbe says, "You've no idea what that name means to me." This makes it feel like classic Vikings, and I felt myself thinking I'd watch a new spinoff with Ubbe as the protagonist. I'd much rather see exploring and fighting than a bunch of Viking soap opera, and Ubbe seems like he wants to get back to the basics. I really wanted Othere to be THE Aethelstan, I almost tried going to on-demand to seek out older episodes to remember if Aethelstan is actually really dead. But I think in Saxon England, "Aethelstan" was basically their "John"

Just that intro alone on Black Sails :black101: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFTcA4QLHw0

Ubbe in North America or tooling around the 9th/10th century would make a cool spin-off or mini-series. Def agree they'd need to drop the soap opera stuff though.

Re; America I'm just assuming that this is where they're ultimately going with it. We have Erik the Red, a mysterious wanderer and Ubbe being curious. Plus Floki is still out there some where. Also I think the producers said at one point that's where they wanted to go with it but may be remembering wrong.

Also yeah, RIP OG A-Stan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iZLoRObShM

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Erghh posted:

Re; America I'm just assuming that this is where they're ultimately going with it.
Last scene of the show is Ubbe dying in America after a battle with locals, wishing that in the future this land will be the peaceful land of tolerant farmers he and his father wished for, as dawn's early light breaks through the clouds and sends 13 stripes across the sky as an eagle soars above.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012
I saw a ship with a manually operated paddlewheel???? Please correct me if this was actually a thing in Europe pre 15th century. I know that the technology was definitely in China before then, but there is no documentation that I could find for the technology being used by the Rus or Viking.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Vicodiva posted:

I saw a ship with a manually operated paddlewheel???? Please correct me if this was actually a thing in Europe pre 15th century. I know that the technology was definitely in China before then, but there is no documentation that I could find for the technology being used by the Rus or Viking.

Creative license would be my bet without doing the research

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I mean this show is so hilariously inaccurate why not have a paddle boat.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

unlawfulsoup posted:

I mean this show is so hilariously inaccurate why not have a paddle boat.

Yeah, tbf there's also no record of the Kievskaya Rus' trying to invade Scandinavia either.

I enjoyed this episode nevertheless. I hope Olaf and Ingrid got out okay - Olaf because he's too much fun, and Ingrid because the poor girl could use a break. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm hoping.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I actually enjoyed this mid-season finale. I was prepared for one in the usual vein of, “We are going to talk a lot about defenses, tease the coming of the Rus, and also tease some intrigue with Bjorn and Harald, but not really have any battle whatsoever and make viewers wait until we resume in 4838295992 years before they get maybe a couple episodes with fighting in them and then end the show.”

What we got was a nice little bit of battle with actual tension, and some big happenings with major characters. They left good cliffhangers there without loving us over by not including any battle scene.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Actually these last episodes had some superfast pacing.

"The journey to Iceland will be long and perilous"
*arrives in Iceland

"We must wait until spring to attack"
*birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

Actually these last episodes had some superfast pacing.

"The journey to Iceland will be long and perilous"
*arrives in Iceland

"We must wait until spring to attack"
*birds

It did, but it was extremely uneven. A lot of farting around Kiev with Oleg and Ivar talking about invading, and then getting distracted by Katya being creepy. A lot of Hvitserk moping about, wallowing in his booze-enhanced misery. There's been a lot of meandering, even if for this show.