Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Was wondering if there was going to be a thread or anything for this. A lot of people bailed after Ragnar. The ~family drama~ stuff seemed to peel off what was left.

I'm staying with it to bitter end but yeah, they probs should have focused on Ivar and the Great Heathen Army in England and Bjorn in the Med. instead of making them background things.

It was a good start/pick-up though. Rollo's come so far. :cheers: And Harald some how keeps getting cooler as he goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Dongattack posted:

Interesting that Bjørn might be Rollos, did we have any foreshadowing for that? I can't remember anymore.

I wanna say back in S1 they hinted at Rollo/Lagertha having had a relationship but it wasn't more than a scene or two. Or maybe Rollo justed wanted a relationship and was pining...can't really recall.

Also thought white hair Lagertha was some vision thing like they had been doing with the other characters but nope, she's just old now I guess.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

life is killing me posted:

Sigh. I want this to be good, and against my better judgment I'll keep watching in the probably vain hope that something will happen, but right now I'm super disappointed that I waited like a year for what isn't really even a new season, in which nothing happens.

Hey, we got confirmation the Seer still exists :yayclod:

But yeah, a couple of weeks into vikings and we're pretty much right where we were at the end of the premier.

The more I think about the Floki stuff the more it bothers me. There's just nothing there but looking and lamenting...

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Always room for more plot twists and such man, always room for more.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Yeah, part of vikings appeal was that a) you had a distinct crew and b) when they said they were going to do something they just went and did it.

"Hey guys we're going to raid England," boom next episode the gang's in England wrecking poo poo. Now it's just kinda crawled off all over. I get they wanna do a "Sons of Ragnar vs. Sons of Athelstan" thing but ehh...

If they had even just kept things on Bjorn you're still doing a saga of the family Lothbrok thing that would work.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
I'm still watching but...well, as I have started so shall I finish.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
was expecting a THIS. IS. ICELAND.

oh well :sigh:

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Well they got the band back together so that's cool. A pretty good wrap-up all in all. Also yeah the teaser looked awesome.

f/e: I hope Iceland is ok. :ohdear:

f/e^2: And Fairhair, true bro.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Reminder that the two hour Season 6 premiere is tonight.

Huh, so it it. I would've complately missed that.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Nthing that this was a good start to the season and the new setting is cool. The brother poisioning made everything seem familiar and comfortable.

Also noticed how they gave Lagertha her own "memories" moment when she went looking for a farmstead. Pretty sure that was the same music from Ragnar's way back when too.

And I'm legit curious about the state of hot air ballon technology in the tenth century now.

re S6 thread; don't think we really need one if there's only a few people watching.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

big trivia FAIL posted:

hvitserk with the hallucination kill

>:\ presses F

also congrats to Harald who finally won something and legit lol'd at Ivar.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

John F Bennett posted:

Man, I miss the conquest of foreign lands.

Also, they should never have cut short Bjorn's mediterranean adventure back in the day. That had so much potential.

Nthing this. I was hoping for this since way back and the the whole Med. thing didn't even get a full episode, just a few scattered scenes.

Anyway, farewell Lagertha. You inspired a ton of tattoos.

Also the actress has apparently been getting into directing lately. https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2488659/vikings-katheryn-winnick-reveals-one-big-challenge-to-directing

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

That was Ray Stevenson? drat. I'm slacking on my thespian recognition. I should've figured that out immediately. He was a good Blackbeard.

Nthing this. Black Sails is awesome if anyone hasn't checked it out yet.

Also really come around on the idea that they should have made Ubbe/his actor Ragnar Mk.II and just run with it. Dude carries scenes.

The Othere stuff is an odd edition this late in the story but they're leading up to a North America segment so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

I'm currently starting a fresh watch through of Black Sails on DTV on-demand, I forgot how goddamn good it is. Starz came a long way since Spartacus.

And yeah, the scenes with Ubbe lately have really smacked of Ragnar, his actor is really good at portraying Ragnar's mannerisms and this fascination with a new undiscovered destination, his insistence this guy go with him to this place, and of course the whole Aethelstan thing is the most glaring once Ubbe says, "You've no idea what that name means to me." This makes it feel like classic Vikings, and I felt myself thinking I'd watch a new spinoff with Ubbe as the protagonist. I'd much rather see exploring and fighting than a bunch of Viking soap opera, and Ubbe seems like he wants to get back to the basics. I really wanted Othere to be THE Aethelstan, I almost tried going to on-demand to seek out older episodes to remember if Aethelstan is actually really dead. But I think in Saxon England, "Aethelstan" was basically their "John"

Just that intro alone on Black Sails :black101: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFTcA4QLHw0

Ubbe in North America or tooling around the 9th/10th century would make a cool spin-off or mini-series. Def agree they'd need to drop the soap opera stuff though.

Re; America I'm just assuming that this is where they're ultimately going with it. We have Erik the Red, a mysterious wanderer and Ubbe being curious. Plus Floki is still out there some where. Also I think the producers said at one point that's where they wanted to go with it but may be remembering wrong.

Also yeah, RIP OG A-Stan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iZLoRObShM